UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Jul 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #886 of 1,096
hey, the d2+ was just released by ibasso 3 days ago, and i was wondering if anybody has had a chance to listen to it yet. their site says:

Changes:
Volume pot changed from ALPHAS'to ALPS', with new volume knob.
Main filter caps changed from NCC's to Nichicon's
Case changed from anodized finish to matt finish
Line out function added
Some minor changes on Amp and DAC sections

(from iBasso )

i was wondering how it sounded compared to the old d2.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #887 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The portables that sound best with HF-2 and have DAC's will cost more than EF2 as well, such as the iBasso D3 and above, including D10, 3MOVE, XM5, Predator, etc. The D2 Boa could do a decent job with the HF-2, but at close to the price of the EF2 and it's not as good with HF-2 as the EF2.

Hi Larry, want to thank you for your informative thread and work- it's much appreciated.

Since the EF2 was brought up here, I was wondering what you thought about it in comparison to the D2+ Boa for D2000's or the new Shure SRH840's. Portability isn't an issue, and if you have any better suggestions in the same ballpark, that would be awesome!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #888 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilGator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry, want to thank you for your informative thread and work- it's much appreciated.

Since the EF2 was brought up here, I was wondering what you thought about it in comparison to the D2+ Boa for D2000's or the new Shure SRH840's. Portability isn't an issue, and if you have any better suggestions in the same ballpark, that would be awesome!
biggrin.gif

D2 Boa is pretty decent with D2000 (haven't tried the new D2+), but the D3 is even better and has the line out feature like the D2+. However, the D3 experiences more RF interference and is a no-no if you have a GSM cell phone. Regardless, if you don't need portable I think I would still prefer the EF2 over those.

The Shure 840's I heard on a desktop amp, the TTVJ FET-A, and they were nice with little closed can coloration, but I tried them for a very short time. I don't what they will run best off, although as I said before, the EF2 seems to drive everything decently.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #889 of 1,096
Hello HeadphoneAddict and other respected HeadFi experts,

I would appreciate it if you can give your opinion about my problem.

I am currently using a Nuforce Icon Mobile with a Sennheiser PXC 450. Yes I am a business traveller and this is how it started. I used to have an iPod with a mediocre quality Aiwa noise-cancelling headphone for many years. Last year I decided to invest in a more high-end solution for the nc headphone and the Sennheiser was a fact. The sound quality was of course remarkably better but the iPod didn't have enough power to feed the Sennheiser. This is how I found the world of head-fi. As a home high-end freak I didn't even know of the existance of this world. After reading some threads on this forum I decided that the Icon Mobile would be good enough for me (I came from standard remember). The Icon had a far better sound quality than the iPod itself but hardly more power. After reading about this problem I realized I had to use the line out and bought a Qables interlink. This solved the problem for a big part; I do have acceptable power but the Icon is not really 'driving' the Sennheiser.
Now I am at the point of buyinga more powerfull, better quality amp. I wanted to purchase the RS-71A blackbird as I have read that there is more power in this amp but Ray wrote me that he is out of black houses (a must imo) and it will be uncertain if he will produce again.
After reading about the new D-10 I think that maybe this could be my amp. Would the D-10 have enough in house to really empower my Sennheiser?
Thanks for your answer(s).
Hans

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #890 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glareskin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello HeadphoneAddict and other respected HeadFi experts,

I would appreciate it if you can give your opinion about my problem.

I am currently using a Nuforce Icon Mobile with a Sennheiser PXC 450. Yes I am a business traveller and this is how it started. I used to have an iPod with a mediocre quality Aiwa noise-cancelling headphone for many years. Last year I decided to invest in a more high-end solution for the nc headphone and the Sennheiser was a fact. The sound quality was of course remarkably better but the iPod didn't have enough power to feed the Sennheiser. This is how I found the world of head-fi. As a home high-end freak I didn't even know of the existance of this world. After reading some threads on this forum I decided that the Icon Mobile would be good enough for me (I came from standard remember). The Icon had a far better sound quality than the iPod itself but hardly more power. After reading about this problem I realized I had to use the line out and bought a Qables interlink. This solved the problem for a big part; I do have acceptable power but the Icon is not really 'driving' the Sennheiser.
Now I am at the point of buyinga more powerfull, better quality amp. I wanted to purchase the RS-71A blackbird as I have read that there is more power in this amp but Ray wrote me that he is out of black houses (a must imo) and it will be uncertain if he will produce again.
After reading about the new D-10 I think that maybe this could be my amp. Would the D-10 have enough in house to really empower my Sennheiser?
Thanks for your answer(s).
Hans

Noise Canceling headphones have an amp built-in which it uses to reproduce the music without the offending "engine drone" and such, and some also EQ the sound to improve the faults of the drivers. Your lack of volume may be a sign that the Senn PXC450 just don't have enough power with any source feeding it - be it a headphone out jack or a powerful amp. Other N/C headphones may have more power. My ATH-ANC7 N/C headphones can be run from my iPod headphone out. The D10 should be a good choice, but I don't know if the problem is lack of input power levels or lack of power in the PXC 450.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #891 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noise Canceling headphones have an amp built-in which it uses to reproduce the music without the offending "engine drone" and such, and some also EQ the sound to improve the faults of the drivers. Your lack of volume may be a sign that the Senn PXC450 just don't have enough power with any source feeding it - be it a headphone out jack or a powerful amp. Other N/C headphones may have more power. My ATH-ANC7 N/C headphones can be run from my iPod headphone out. The D10 should be a good choice, but I don't know if the problem is lack of input power levels or lack of power in the PXC 450.

Thanks Larry for your expert opinion. I have good hopes that there is something to get from the input power side as the difference in using the line-out was significant. My Aiwa nc headphone was also well served from the iPod out but obviously the Senn's need more input power. I will order the D10, if it will not help I will at least have the improved sound quality. I will post the result.

Thanks,

Hans

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #892 of 1,096
Ordered yesterday (saturday). Hope I will receive it within the next week.........

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #893 of 1,096
D10 just arrived. Very good job iBasso! Ordered on Saturday evening, no reply until Monday but allready here in The Netherlands!
First impression of the delivery. Very complete, includes a rolling kit, a warranty card, a leather look pouch, optical cable, iPod-amp cable, USB charging cable and an adapter to connect the USB charging cable to the mains. Unfortunately this is a non European 115 Volt plug but hey, I am not complaining.
The D10 looks way better than on the pictures. I had expected it to be bigger. In real it is pretty small, has a good build quality and the silver look volume knob that looked so hughe and ugly on the pictures is really nice to see in the real world.
First listening experience: directly better differentiation, more space and room and better clarity than the Icon Mobile. And my original goal: more power than the NuForce? Definitely: I can push the Sennheiser to the limit, both with nc and with bypassed nc allthough I am not 100% sure if I push the Senn or the D10 to the limit.... It doesn't matter as the sound level where it is happening is more than you can listen to without damaging your hearing anyway. The real test for power will be next week when I am flying again. Also good to know that the built-in amp in the Senn is very well trimmed to the power handling capacity of the speakers; both with nc and bypassed distortion comes in at about the same volume. Or does this mean the D10 is at it's end? I can imagine the SR 71A with it's dual 9V batteries has a bit more reserves here but again I think you are going to damage your ears with more.
In the first listening hour I play with the EQ settings of my iPod and notice that with the standard chip set in the D10 the setting 'acoustic' adds extra stage to the sound.
My first overall impression: very impressed. I have high expectations of the sound quality after a couple of hundred of hours. First then I will start some rolling experiments.
The Cobra has bitten me with his poisonous teeth. I am infected. Highly recomendable.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #894 of 1,096
Hey have you compared the power of the Pico Amp to the Power of the Headroom Micro Amp? I was thinking of using my Pico Dac/AMp too feed a Headroom Micro Amp.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #896 of 1,096
Dear Larry,
I received the D10 + hiflight topkit.
D10 amp is really very very good, the best I've heard, thank you for your advice!
Concerning the topkit, there is a hiss with my UM1 but no hiss with a good dual driver (earsonics EM2-PRO). So I'll wait I have a better headphone to use it...
Concerning the DAC, it is really better with optical connection than with usb.
Do you know why ? is it a specification of the D10 or is it always like this with DACs ?
Do you know if the D10 can read 24bits flac files if plugged on a SqueezeBox Duet ?
Thank you,
Pat

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #897 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatLogan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Larry,
I received the D10 + hiflight topkit.
D10 amp is really very very good, the best I've heard, thank you for your advice!
Concerning the topkit, there is a hiss with my UM1 but no hiss with a good dual driver (earsonics EM2-PRO). So I'll wait I have a better headphone to use it...
Concerning the DAC, it is really better with optical connection than with usb.
Do you know why ? is it a specification of the D10 or is it always like this with DACs ?
Do you know if the D10 can read 24bits flac files if plugged on a SqueezeBox Duet ?
Thank you,
Pat

The D10 optical is better because the nicer Wolfson 8741 is doing the conversion instead of the PCM2706 USB receiver chip which converts it to SPDIF before the Wolfon DAC.

Some DACs do USB as well as optical, such as the Stello DA100, PS Audio DLIII, Apogee Mini-DAC (and Pico DAC sounds very close). All of those are upsampling DAC.

I don't know about squeezebox. I know D10 will do 24 bit optical with my Macbook Pro.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #899 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB1993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the D2 plus boa work with yuin pk-1????

I have heard people say the Yuin sounded a little like Grados, so I suspect it would sound fine, but I haven't heard them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back