UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Jun 13, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #841 of 1,096
I ordered a Pico DAC/amp yesterday. Can't wait to take it "on the road" with my ESW10JPNs to get back the sound that I am missing playing music straight out of my MacBook Pro. Thanks again for all of the reviews and advice.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #842 of 1,096
That would be sweet
biggrin.gif

Can't wait for the EF2 review.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #843 of 1,096
I'm quite amazed that you find the nuforce better than the Ibasso d2.
Has anyone tried the HD25 70 ohm version on both of these?
I'd like to know if the nuforce delivers enough bass combined with the hd25. I tried a brand new icon right when they came out and it was lacking bass so badly that I couldnt consider buying one (I listen to hip hop beats and "dark" electro mostly), but since this thread says that it benefits a lot from extensive burn in I'm considering buying one.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #844 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite amazed that you find the nuforce better than the Ibasso d2.
Has anyone tried the HD25 70 ohm version on both of these?
I'd like to know if the nuforce delivers enough bass combined with the hd25. I tried a brand new icon right when they came out and it was lacking bass so badly that I couldnt consider buying one (I listen to hip hop beats and "dark" electro mostly), but since this thread says that it benefits a lot from extensive burn in I'm considering buying one.

The Nuforce definitely needs burn-in for a good bit of time, and it changes more with burn-in than any other amp except for the Predator. And I said the Nuforce was better in many areas but not all, and I detailed when and why it was or was not better.

I do get enough bass with my ESW10JPN which are similar in sound from what I recall (sold my HD25-1 over a year ago). I can hear 16Hz-16KHz and with the Nuforce and the NE-7M I could hear the 16Hz tones. The bass is not boosted but it is not lacking either. I will more often reach for the Nuforce before I reach for the D2 Boa.

The main disadvantage of the Nuforce is that the sound is brighter and more forward when used with an iPod instead of with the internal DAC, so I really prefer to use it with a computer more. The second disadvantage is the battery life is a bit less, and the battery drains when it is stored and not being used. The main disadvantage of the D2 Boa is the mids are not as detailed, and the bass is not as controlled.

I am willing to bet the D2 Boa will work well with the somewhat forward sound of the HD25. And the D2 will sound better out of the box than the Nuforce, just like the D3 Python sounds better out of the box than the D2 Boa. But I still needed at least 200-300 hours of burn-in with the D2 Boa, and the soundstage didn't fully open up until 600 hours.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #845 of 1,096
Just received the Vivid Technologies V1. Despite of it's size, it pumps out great volume. Halfway would be deafening with my HD600, didn't expect that at all. Great SQ improvement for less than €80 (even without burn-in).
As far as first impressions go, it does good things for the HD600, and great things for the IE8.

Thanks a lot for your great advice HeadphoneAddict!

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #846 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received the Vivid Technologies V1. Despite of it's size, it pumps out great volume. Halfway would be deafening with my HD600, didn't expect that at all. Great SQ improvement for less than €80 (even without burn-in).
As far as first impressions go, it does good things for the HD600, and great things for the IE8.

Thanks a lot for your great advice HeadphoneAddict!

Glad I could help. The 3MOVE is another portable with great power for the HD600, but it is too bass heavy for the IE8. The V1 seems to work better when using both of those phones, as far as synergy and power goes.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #847 of 1,096
Hello. I ordered the Headroom Micro Amp recently (strictly desktop--no battery option) and should get it in a few days. This will be my first serious amp, and looking at the review and rankings, I'm starting to wonder if I should send it back without opening. Should the desktop-only Micro Amp be significantly better than the portable Micro you reviewed, HPAddict?

I'll be listening to a HD600 and possibly a HF-2 later. If I ditched the Micro, I'd use an integrated stereo amplifier at home and use a D10 as a transportable rig. Any thoughts? (I see the D10 is not HD600 ideal, but to my ignorant ears it sounds rather good coming out of Cmoy).

Thanks, HPAddict, your review is very helpful!

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #848 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I ordered the Headroom Micro Amp recently (strictly desktop--no battery option) and should get it in a few days. This will be my first serious amp, and looking at the review and rankings, I'm starting to wonder if I should send it back without opening. Should the desktop-only Micro Amp be significantly better than the portable Micro you reviewed, HPAddict?

I'll be listening to a HD600 and possibly a HF-2 later. If I ditched the Micro, I'd use an integrated stereo amplifier at home and use a D10 as a transportable rig. Any thoughts? (I see the D10 is not HD600 ideal, but to my ignorant ears it sounds rather good coming out of Cmoy).

Thanks, HPAddict, your review is very helpful!

All the amps above the D3 come highly recommended and sound very good, including the Micro Amp. I am STILL using the Micro Amp and DAC in my bedside rig over 15 months after I bought it (while the Meier Headfive that it sits on is not even connected). When I am in bed I typically use it with my IEM and ESW10, but I could use it with any of my phones.

The Micro Amp has almost 2x the voltage swing for high impedance headphones when it is plugged into the wall, and it does better with HD600 than the modded D10. I did my review on battery power, not plugged in with the 15v power brick. So, for the headphones that you have I would keep the Micro Amp and try it during the 30 day money back guarantee time-period. Burn-it in for a couple hundred hours over the first 2 weeks, but it will already sound good right out of the box by the end of the first hour.

You can always add a $99 Vivid V1 for transportable DAC/amp (very nice with HD600), or even a cheaper hotaudio USB DAC later (which some day I do plan to review as well). For home a Super Pro DAC707 has a similar circuit to the Micro DAC but with LT1364 opamps in the output stage, and it would pair well with the Micro Amp for 1/3 the cost of the Micro DAC.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #849 of 1,096
But I have a question.

I think you use the P-51 Mustang recently. right?

I can`t decide for longtime between predator and P-51.

can you compare these? please~

I don`t have enough money for both. lol

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #850 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfskan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I have a question.

I think you use the P-51 Mustang recently. right?

I can`t decide for longtime between predator and P-51.

can you compare these? please~

I don`t have enough money for both. lol

The P-51 is a little richer and more vibrant in the mids, but also a little spacious at the same too. It also seems a little more extended in the highs. When I don't need the DAC I grab the P-51, like with my iMod.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #851 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The P-51 is a little richer and more vibrant in the mids, but also a little spacious at the same too. It also seems a little more extended in the highs. When I don't need the DAC I grab the P-51, like with my iMod.

Finally I decided order p-51 !

thanks for solve my problem haha~
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #852 of 1,096
i cant believe how many times i keep coming back to this thread, it's quite amazing. Thanks for all your help Larry.

Your advice helped me finally end up with a ibasso d10 which sounds great. Actually though, I might actually sell it eventually to get an ef2 if it indeed sounds as good as the ef1. I'll wait for your review on that
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way have you ever listened to a Gilmore Lite by chance? Do you know how it compares to the ef1?

Btw everyone, the EF2 is out! Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #853 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant believe how many times i keep coming back to this thread, it's quite amazing. Thanks for all your help Larry.

Your advice helped me finally end up with a ibasso d10 which sounds great. Actually though, I might actually sell it eventually to get an ef2 if it indeed sounds as good as the ef1. I'll wait for your review on that
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way have you ever listened to a Gilmore Lite by chance? Do you know how it compares to the ef1?

Btw everyone, the EF2 is out! Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Glad I could help. More tidbits from my upcoming EF2 review.

I am burning in some NOS Raytheon 6AK5 tubes in the EF2 (equivalent to the 6J1) and they sound a little better, but I was surprised at how the stock tubes don't suck at all. The EF2 DAC is on par with the 3MOVE DAC, and is also a PCM2702E Japan, but the amp section is a little better than the D10 and closer to the EF1 amp (or Cavalli CTH, or Millett SSH). The only difference I found between the EF1 and EF2 (at CanJam) is that the EF2 couldn't adequately drive an 8 ohm orthodynamic headphone, with it running out of current before the EF1 did. The EF2 sounded so good that I swapped my $399 EF1 for a new EF2 to review.

I have typically been using the EF2 with either the D10 DAC or Pico DAC-only as the source, for maximum detail and space, but I enjoy the EF2 just as much with the built-in DAC. I am just not sure I would give up and sell my better DACs for using only the built-in DAC.

I have not heard the Gilmore Lite, but I have heard other similar SS discrete amps like Grahm Slee NOVO and Solo SRG. I would take the EF2 over the $350 NOVO with any headphone (similar to my EF1 findings), but I am not sure about the SRG - but then the SRG is also $700 vs $189. Most of my burn-in of the EF2 has been with my HD800, and the EF2 started out a little bright with HD800 but mellowed out over time, while the SRG had hundreds of hours on it and still sounded bright with the HD800.

So, that's all for now.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #854 of 1,096
Wow and it is only $189! Maybe this will be my test into tubes before going all out! Sweetstuff!

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #855 of 1,096
Hi, i am struggling what dac/amp combi to buy for my AKG k271 Mkii. The akg is somewhat "lean" in the bass department. If i look at size i like the nuforce icon mobile, but will it work with my AKG?
The ibasso looks like the winner, and probably also sounds as one, but my wife will kill me if i spend 275 again on a "gadget" :)
Oh one more thing, i will hook it up to macbook pro and ipod 5.5g (thats why i think i need the dac)

Please advise,

Hessel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back