*UPDATE* REVIEW: 21 "Mainstream" portable amps. GoVibe MAGNUM added.
Jan 30, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #136 of 162
Judging by the faceplate size, the same size as a Predator...I haven't seen both in person, but the faceplate looks the same size(same faceplate).

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #137 of 162
really looking forward to seeing the iqube and especially the Lisa III added into this mix, both should be changing that top top roster pretty seriously.. we'll see !

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #138 of 162
I'll be getting home tomorrow around Midnight EST, and I MIGHT give a review of the Lisa III depending on how tired I am. We'll see, but expect it before the weekend or beginning of next week for sure.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #139 of 162
I added the LISA III to the review.

Yes, those are ALO Au/Ag cables. They sound AWESOME. Too bad they're so damn expensive. I will however say, this amp is VERY sensitive to cables. I went to some OK cables and the difference wasn't huge or dramatic, but it was definitely a subtle difference you could notice more than I have ever noticed when auditioning amps. It's either really good cable or really good amp...probably a little of both, but I'm leaning more towards #1.

Also, don't forget to read ALL my impressions on the amp. This is how the thread/post is formatted:
  • The impressions of each amp.
  • Then the rankings on a cumulative level, although SQ based, it's not the sole reasoning, as you can find that out from most every review out there. With portables, I believe practicality plays a HUGE HUGE role.
  • After the rankings are the reasoning behind why they're sitting where they are, so if you want to find out why say, the TH is ranked 5th, you have to go to it's respective placing following the rankings. So when this is updated, you have to find where it is in the ranking to find out why I placed it where I did. I feel this keeps everything in perspective.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #140 of 162
I'm going to give the Lisa a couple more hours of listening. It's growing on me. Although, I must say, it still doesn't leave the "holy $hit!" grin the PRII left me with, but it's coming close.

Although I love the ALO au/ag cables, the fact that I have to keep using RCA jacks AND a 1/4 adapter is pissing me off...it's so cumbersome to even pick up and take with me to just walk the dog, let alone in the need of a really portable situation...

I think the bass knob is it's saving grace more or less. Because like I said, it's not sounding as good with all genres as I hoped it would, unless I play with the knob. Maybe it's the fact that I have the option to play around with it, and it's swaying my decision a little bit, I dunno....the raised mids and bass make it more enjoyable, but on some songs/genres, it needs to be zero'd...whereas on the PRII I didn't feel the constant urge to play with the knob (lol).

We'll see, it sounds damn sweet though. Can't wait till I get my hands on the iCube...I'm now anxious to hear how it compares.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #141 of 162
Yeah, I love the LISA III's bass contour.
biggrin.gif
I want to say though, that I am now looking forward to what you hear from the iQube. I was impressed by its detail the other day and its nicely refined looks. Nice review on the LISA III, I agree that it is a definite transportable.

About the LISA III cable sensitivity, it can be bothersome. I went to the Au/Ag after trying the Nordost Red Dawn, it was an eye opener. I'm glad someone else noticed that, good stuff!

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #142 of 162
I'm going to be hanging onto this Lisa for a bit longer, the owner wants me to get more familiar with the sound, as well as burn it in a little more and report back to them.

But the cable sensitivity was an eye opener. If you don't think cables make a difference, have a listen. I don't want to say cables will make or break your listening pleasure, but it seems a little more tailorable on the Lisa than most amps. The difference is audible.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #144 of 162
Waiting anxiously for the iQube review
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #145 of 162
It's coming probably in a week or so. I'm going to send back the Lisa at the end of this week, so if you factor in transit time for return, and time for the iCube to get to me, you're looking at about two weeks.

I'm anxious as well, but the iCube has plenty to live up to...

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #146 of 162
Added Storm STB3...a little surprising, just outclassed, maybe dated . If this amp would have came out about 2 years ago, it's be a different story, but with the trend of warm and aggressive, weighty amps being the preference, this amp falls behind.

Awaiting for the iCube to arrive...anxious.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #147 of 162
Hello Nate, Just a quickie note to say thank you for your time and effort, just sorry that I'm not a young man with the finances and flexibility to have the fun you've had and continue to have. ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!

It is a PITY that their isn't a preamble which guides folks to the four major 'amp' reviews, and the collection of single 'amp' reviews floating around this site. The preamble could explain the different things that can influence a reviewer's perspective, and highlighting the perspective each of the four reviewers brought to THEIR reviews. By linking the 'floating' reviews it would provide another perspective on an amp. It might agree, disagree, or take a different perspective. As an example, any of the amps could be seen in a different light with a different head/ear phone. As you know, but many 'noobies' don't understand is how MUCH the phones effect what you hear. Or, the observation you made on one of the units, that the interconnect - and it's metal composition - had a MAJOR effect on the sound. This one didn't shock me, but is sure as hell surprised me that it would be THAT significant. The preamble could include links to the multitude of reviews regarding some of these unit, thus giving folks another perspective.

One of the best thing about your effort is that you explained where your 'head' was at. What youz like and don't like. Most folks are NOT aware of their own prejudices. I appreciate that you reviewed the units as practical solution to portable music. As you noted, quite a few of the unit you were lucky enough to review were portable by name tag, but TRANSPORTABLE in reality! As was noted in one of the post, the Xin Micro is the TRUE portable, adding the least weight and bulk. Same reason I'm considering the PA2V2, second smallest (and plastic light) unit I've seen. So I'm considering it because it solve a need, even if it ain't the most super-duper unit in the market. Anything else I'd consider would only be used indoors. If I was going to sit in the park, I could see carrying one of these units, but I'm not going to lug them around all day. [See what I mean, another idiot's perspective :wink:].

Boy did I digress; again - Much thanks for your effort (he said with great envy). Looking forward to the additions to your manifesto. It is wonderful that this Forum (or BBS, said the old fart) is supported by a group of folk that are willing to invest their time AND money to add to the education and ENJOYMENT of so many others. It is a pity that some folks don't take the fact that folks are CONTRIBUTING their time and knowledge, NOT being paid, into consideration when the respond to a post. But, as I once 'ran' a BBS, I understand and appreciate the effort and time this enterprise requires.

Nate, just one note to you and to the other 'manifesto' authors: please include the actual MSRP for the units at the time of review. I doubt that you and I are the only ones that consider not only the unit's ability, but its "bag for the buck" factor. OK - shut up ;^0.

Again much thanXs Nate.

angel

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #148 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is actually very fast and articulate. When he told me they were a benjamin, and sealed, I immediatly thought it would be mediocre, but these are like a godsend for those that want ALOT OF PUNCH and impact on something that has detail like K501's or DT990's. The sounds was similar to K501's with a GOOD source that can push them well. It's a fast phone though, so it's not laid back at all, and they REALLY do well on jazz, but excell at pretty much everything I listened to.

The phones are VERY upfront sounding, and there's a GREAT soundstage, but it's very foreward sounding. They're airy too, not just for a closed phone, but airy period.

I was addicted to those cans, I didn't listen to them on the Singlepower or Marantz, but I can't imagine it sounding anything but amazing. I found myself listening to those more than anything there and there were some Orpheus', heavily modded. The $100-150 pricepoint absolutely blew me away. They could EASILY be $300 cans.

Hello again Nate,

I'm considering adding a new set of "cans" to my situation, as my DT990s and my HD580s have almost as much gray as I do.

My amps and receivers are old also, but because of that their not IC based; SS but not IC, yeah! My current "in-use" amps are a Proton AA-1150 power (w/ a Chase RLC-1 front end) and a Dual PA-5030 integrated. The Proton feeds an amp-to-HP interface, the Dual through its HP jack.

Besides some new cans, I'm considering the reasonably priced Little-Dot Mark III tube based HP Amp.

SOOOooooo, with all that in mind - besides you beloved RP-21s - is there any other set of less than $100 headphones I should consider??? i.e. Senn 280 or 595, Grado, or something else???

Any and all assistance would be appreciated, re headphones - and if there is another tube amp (less than $225) I should consider, talk to me.

much thanXs,

angel

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #149 of 162
I used to LOVE heavy heavy bass headphones, but I feel Grado's are now my preference. They're much more portable (sans the cups swiveling and getting twisted) are great portable cans. they're open so you can hear everything around you, yet are great right out of a DAP.

SR80's IMO are the best bang for the buck Grado's I've heard. Not monster bass, but it gets deep and is accurate and fast. I've learned to appreciate a less bassy sound.

As far as the rest of your post(s), I appreciate the comments. I don't think many other reviews take into consideration thier biases. It's a double edged sword really. Most people are infact after strictly SQ, but only address other things after the fact, which in a portable rig, is I think a bit backwards. People started to realize that with the Lisa, where it's still a portable, but it's size really limits you. The SMIV is a GREAT amp (for it's purposes), it's just too bad it takes too long to get to you, and it is a little on the expensive size for the physical amount of product you get. but as like anything today, smaller = more expensive. Otherwise, it truly is the PERFECT compromise to a portable rig having GREAT SQ, unless your cans are 300ohm beasts, in which you should really be considering revising your portable rig, lol.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #150 of 162
How you coming with the iQube review? I am looking forward to reading the comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back