*UPDATE* REVIEW: 21 "Mainstream" portable amps. GoVibe MAGNUM added.
Jan 27, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #121 of 162
If I could get my hands on one I would definitly review one, but don't have the funds available to get one
frown.gif
Maybe a nice head-fier would loan me one for a couple days??
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #122 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could get my hands on one I would definitly review one, but don't have the funds available to get one
frown.gif
Maybe a nice head-fier would loan me one for a couple days??
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I'm kind of selfish, we only live a half days drive. Right now, its my only true amp until the Millett portable comes in and there is a meet in two weeks. I listen to it at least once a day if I have any spare time. Its the 5th LISA III produced and comes with the limited edition certificate. I have a suspicion that because of this, it has a little higher noise floor from the other UE11 users reports that they hear absolutely no hiss. It also has its funny quirks like "base" instead of "bass" written for the bass contour. I think one of the newer LISA III may be a better candidate.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #125 of 162
Thanks for the review OICDN. very nicely worded. I agree with everything you said about the SR71. aside from the veil, it sounds pretty good to me, I just hate recessed mids, and it makes them feel so far away.

I must say though, I don't agree about the ergonomics of the Xin Supermicro IV. I feel it is the only portable amp that is truly portable. I mean yes, you can fit others in a pocket with an ipod, but it is not comfortable, it bounces all over, and its kind of obnoxious.

I attatched velcro to the supermicro, put some velcro on the side of the ipod, on the top, next to the screen, and hook them up. that way, it isn't moving around in the pocket, and its like there isn't anymore than just an ipod there. Really great. A volume knob is a litttle easier, but i never had a problem with the wheel.

I just thought I would offer a counter opinion
biggrin.gif
thanks though!

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #126 of 162
^ actually, not only because I don't have one everyday, but I've been using the SMIV and I've grown to it's ergonomics. I don't LOVE it because it's not flat and it makes it feel like your portable is sitting on a small pedestal, but it works out well in your pocket.

I however didn't use the velcro (not a fan of sticking things onto my portables) but I used rubber bands. It worked out well because the rubber bands acted like guards from accidental turning of the wheel... But I really do adore it's size.

But as a bottom line, I wasn't OVERLY impressed with it, all things considered(that wait time is a killer), but you can bet if it were EASILY AND READILY AVAILABLE, I would probably be using it hands down simply because of it's size.

FreeBlues, I sent you mail back!!!

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #129 of 162
oicdn, where would you put the D1 in the SQ rankings using it with the DAC??

Nice review dude.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #130 of 162
Withe DAC running...hmmm, hard to say seeing as how the DAC completely affects the sound coming out of the amp, but if I had to give an "all things being equal" type guess, somewhere BETWEEN #1 and #4...simply because it's so hard to decipher how much teh DAC's role is playing in it's final SQ.

For a heads up, I have an iQube AND a Lisa III with ALO Au/Ag cables on the way :) Granted, I will only get to audition one at a time...but BOTH WILL be getting added to the review shortly, as the LisaIII with ALO au/ag cables are in transit as we speak :)

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #131 of 162
Excellent. Can't wait !

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #133 of 162
My Iqube arrived this morning , waiting for the rest of the kit now before i try it out, i was struggling to decide which amp to get between the iqube and the Lisa III, i got the impression the iqube works better with IEM's and the Lisa III works better with headphone, one thing i can add is that i was very impressed with the speed of delivery and attention to detail with the packaging, overall finish of product etc.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #134 of 162
I'm stoked and excited to hear both...my anxiety is killing me especially since I'm out of town all week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back