*UPDATE* REVIEW: 21 "Mainstream" portable amps. GoVibe MAGNUM added.
Nov 7, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #91 of 162
Don't get the "i/o", that's the lower model. Get the DJ.

Do a google search to find the best price, but I think your best deal is on eBay. There are a couple sellers on there selling them NEW for $130. I think there's one right now in the FS forum for $100.

Here's the one on eBay for a GREAT price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECHO-INDIGO-DJ-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I think it's because people are starting to utilize Express Ports....

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #93 of 162
There are more Moves than SR71s, also, because the Move is cheaper.

Also, the DAC in the Move isn't quite up to par with it's amp, and most people bought it for the purpose of the DAC with the amp sometimes secondary...and it let down. But as an amp, it's FANTASTIC.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #94 of 162
Thread has been updated. I know I said there would be a HUGE update, but I'm still waiting on some other amps to show, and I don't want to sit on what loaners I have too long (just rude IMO).

So for now, I just added the non-m Hornet Original (even before the cap revision) and Portaphile V2^2.

Going by the format, also check out the reasoning behind the ranking. It'll explain why it's the way it is.

And furthermore, with all that said, scroll down past all the reasonings and read the "editors notes" for the update....it just makes this hobby that much more intresting, lol.

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #95 of 162
Hiss??? What hiss??? I'm using Ety4p, Beyer 880 and 990 and have noticed no hiss whatsoever--and this with classical, jazz and particularly Keith Jarrett-type piano jazz where he is soloist in a quiet concert hall.

I might suggest you open the thing--it is, after all my amp--and put the switching onto wide bandwidth and see what happens.

But the hiss issue is totally new to me--never heard it.

Then again, I've got "old ears"--as in "old man ears"
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #96 of 162
Updated with the Hornet non M, iBasso D1, and Miguels Voyager.

For those not familiar with how this review is organized, it has the impressions.

Then the listing.

Then the explanations to why they're placed where they're placed. So for example, the D1, is below the LaRocco in ranking, you'll need to go below the LaRocco to find out why it's placed there.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #98 of 162
Well, the great review of the Voyager piqued my curiosity, especially the impression you gave me that it might be a bit expensive what with the weak dollar and all. So I checked.

It looks to me like the cost is US$350. Comparatively, a Tomahawk will cost me $295, a Hornet $370 and an SR-71 $395. The soon to be shipped Pico will be $300 for the amp alone.

Okay, none of these are bargains, but if the Voyager is as good as you say it is certainly comparably priced to some pretty decent other amps.

Other reviewers have raved about the LISA III and the iQube. These guys are both over $500.

Geez, you know I've been hanging here too long when I start thinking a $350 amp is a good deal!

(Now you need to take a look at both the iQube and the Pico, just for completeness.)

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #99 of 162
Well, I took out that "weak dollar thing" because while it sounded good in my head, it didn't quite make much sense since he posts the USD price, but usually the dollar isn't this weak, and that amp normally wouldn't be $350USD. Although, the sound you get out of it for $350, it's a steal. Sucky you get a plastic case on a $350 amp, even if it is super solid. But like his site says, the amp is all business...and that's no joke.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #100 of 162
I have a different take on the case (again, I don't own this amp - at least not yet!). I am 100% portable, mostly at the gym. I'm pretty careful, but my stuff still gets knocked around some. I've been carrying a PRII for the last few months and I have to say it is pretty fragile. Sure it looks sturdy, has a big (heavy) aluminum case, all that, but in real life it is a bit of a hassle. Knock it too hard and the batteries get dislodged. I've busted the mini input jack input once and the RCA connectors don't like lots of contact. This might be fine for home or perhaps light transportable use but is maybe more trouble than I want to spend for my fully portable application. (That said, the sound quality makes me put up with it, it is heavenly!) I'd actually prefer a light, small plastic case that could hold up to the rigors of portable use.

The packaging on the Voyager looks like a plus to me. Even better, if the cost of the case is less than the heavy aluminum on something like the PRII, I would MUCH rather pay for perforamnce than packaging. I think the guy has his priorities right on.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #102 of 162
Well he states on his site it is infact it's all business. The reason the PRII is "fragile", despite it's aluminum case is it's not really crammed into the case like all your other more "durable" feeling amps are. Batteries can't fall out of their spots if it has no way to move, ala all of your more current portables. Also, everything is pretty spacious in the PRII whereas in all your other more recent amps, stuff is crammed into the smallest space possible, making it feel more solid.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #103 of 162
Nate, FWIW here are some thoughts and information.

1. I have exchanged emails w/ Graham and he is getting new cases for the next batch (250 units) of the Voyager. That should help in the aesthetics department, at this time I have no idea of what the new cased amp will sell for.
frown.gif

2. When I purchased my iBasso D1 it could be had for $209 w/o cables. The total was $232 w/ S&H. A fantastic price for any amp w/ a DAC. Thanks to people like HiFlight and Jamato8 we know of op-amps which sound better than the stock ones. The combination you tried LHM4562 for the buffers (2) and the OPA2107 for the L/R is definetly better than the stock. However it is not as good as the LHM6643 for the buffers (2) and the AD8599 for the L/R. Next (with the help of a Ron) I hope to try jumpers on the buffers and the AD797 which according to many is the best they have heard. If so the AD797 and a browndog adapter would set me about $35 which when added to the $232 brings the total cost to under $270. Overall a low price IMO, and of course you have a DAC which can be fed by optical/coaxial/usb.
cool.gif

Both of these units are very nice and IMO should be on the top of many lists (the newer P2 is perhaps better than the D1). Of course not every one hears the same way and may not agree w/ you nor I. For example Vorlon1 listened and preferred the D1.

At the end of the day the good thing is the variety of amps currently available!
wink.gif

Note: I wonder if the SR71 you have was damaged in transit. To me the SR71 is one of the best portable amps for my kind of music (Jazz), I find it has great soundstage and a sweetness that very few amps have.
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #104 of 162
I have the Echo Indigo I/O. I thought the only difference between it and the DJ is that the DJ has two outputs instead of one output and one input. You are definitely spot on though about it being neutral. It has been a wonderful tool to me, even before head-fi and without it, I might not be here.

Now I want to see the LISA III compared to the Voyager if it supposedly beats the PRII mkII!

Wish that someone could get a hold on a supermicro IV for a comparison too. Can you imagine how one of those looks with a new nano?

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #105 of 162
The problem with Xin is that on a realistic comparison stand point, is it takes so long to get one, then to add to that, some people JUST ORDERED and received his latest one and then an update is released. It's almost to the point to say you can't effectively compare his amps to anything because of his build time and business practices. IMO, it's only worth doing if you already have a Xin, rather than try to buy one and then compare it because by the time you get one, who knows what version will then be out, let alone new amps, lol.

Miguel, I think I'm going to have to try and get some of those opamps and see how it transforms. IMO as it sits right now, it sounds REALLY close to the original hornet, which is the sound I was after (before I heard the Voyager). Interesting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back