*UPDATE* REVIEW: 21 "Mainstream" portable amps. GoVibe MAGNUM added.
Jul 21, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #46 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Added Hornet and Corda Move to review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun Read, Nate!

Just curious -- about how many hours of play time on the Hornet pre-review?

…to JLai: Unless the Hornet reviewed is an unmodified one of the 100+ original units, it and all later-and-current Hornets are "M" Hornets.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #47 of 162
The Hornet is a M, and it has 250+ hours on it. I stopped paying attention around 200, and it might be closer to 300...or more
confused.gif
... but as I've been amp switching regularly between it, a Larocco and and SR-71, I really don't know.

Nice reviews, Nate.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #48 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hornet is a M, and it has 250+ hours on it. I stopped paying attention around 200, and it might be closer to 300...or more
confused.gif
... but as I've been amp switching regularly between it, a Larocco and and SR-71, I really don't know.

Nice reviews, Nate.

It's been my experience -- and some local NYC members have had similar experiences, but I'll just speak for myself -- that my Hornet sounded gritty with somewhat sawtoothed edges around notes, loss of top end extension (mine had very nice top extension and sparkle out of the box and lost it during "burn in"), a long period of anemic bass and then some suddenly huge but bloated bass, less than solid imaging and placement of instruments, and a few other disquieting insufficiencies during "burn in" of its 16,000uf cap until 350-400 hours. Mine "opened up" dramatic around 350 hours and continued getting clean, clearer, more extended top and bottom, and more defined from bottom to top through about 400 hours where the sound stabilized.

I was really anxious about a variety of problems until past 350 hours when they dramatically began to clear up. I've said this elsewhere, but when played with a great transport and DAC with great recordings, my Hornet sounds staggering better than via a PDP or modest DAC, and can present a clean, clear window into the music with a huge dimensional sound space and rock-solid imaging. I don't hear anything that dramatic with my iPod or Mac G5 tower and Spitfire DAC, but it sounds much better than the notes in the review would indicate.

There's no guarantee that you'll hear what I did, but my personal experience was that my Hornet had a variety of issues similar to those noted in the review, and the amp's sound quality changed and improved significantly after the extended play period I've noted.

A few other amps seem to need similarly long break in period, more notably those with large Black Gate caps which are well known to require lengthy play time to optimize and stabilize, and Black Gates also have troublesome and often erratic "burn in curves". My Hornet's "burn in" wasn't so much erratic as it was troublesome, and the general congestion and "feathered edges" had me quiet anxious for a while.

If you ever have the opportunity and inclination to hear a "well-cured" Hornet, I'd love to know if it sounds to you any cleaner, sweeter, more open and focused, etc. -- or not.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #49 of 162
Excellent review, my biggest surprise:

1. Meier Corda Move
2. MisterX XP w/8397
3. Tomahawk
3. Hornet
4. LaRocco

MisterX XP placed higher than Tomahawk, Hornet and LaRocco? XP sounds like a surprise value.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #51 of 162
Error

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #53 of 162
Well got mine this past Thursday, and I think it is one killer product! Just tried the USB/Dac this morning....what a bonus. My only points of critique are the volume knob stiffness, and the offset position of the input jack which puts more then normal strain on cables such as ALO Super Cotton Dock when aligning the IMod 5.5 Video on top of the amp. All these points are minor and not a show stopper by any means. Great product, but Jan, why didn't you include feet for the amp?
icon10.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #54 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review, my biggest surprise:

1. Meier Corda Move
2. MisterX XP w/8397
3. Tomahawk
3. Hornet
4. LaRocco

MisterX XP placed higher than Tomahawk, Hornet and LaRocco? XP sounds like a surprise value.

Well, you have to read why. The XP's huge sound to cost ratio is what puts it atop the ranks. Honestly, if it had a prettier case, it could be marked up to $300 and it would still be in the same spot. It's that good. But being the TH and Hornet already have a pretty case, and are in that range, but don't have the bottom end and extreme high that the XP has, you can see why they're lower in the ranks. The LaRocco is my favorite amp, and pretty much my measuring stick. SOUND QUALITY WISE ONLY. It's cost, ergonomics(again What on the 1/4 plug and jacks being on the back???), size, and weight are all factored in it drops a couple notches. But without a doubt, it's my favorite SOUNDING amp. Put it this way, if the LaRocco didn't have a Bass Boost knob, it'd be fairly hard to distinguish the two...

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #55 of 162
Nice to see another person who has done a lot of comparing with the same ranking as I have for the Meier Move
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #58 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I wanted to add that the UE Triple-Fi's have very nice synergy with the Corda Move.

Likewise, my ER4Ps.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #59 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The LaRocco is my favorite amp, and pretty much my measuring stick. SOUND QUALITY WISE ONLY. It's cost, ergonomics(again What on the 1/4 plug and jacks being on the back???), size, and weight are all factored in it drops a couple notches. But without a doubt, it's my favorite SOUNDING amp. Put it this way, if the LaRocco didn't have a Bass Boost knob, it'd be fairly hard to distinguish the two...

Nate, the 1/4" is there because of what the amps was meant to do. It was supposed to be a beat all portable amps that could be used with reference cans. Well reference cans as a norm have a 1/4" plug at the end, it is a lot easier to put a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at the end than the reverse. BTW since the meet I have a much smaller adapter than the one you used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back