*UPDATE* REVIEW: 21 "Mainstream" portable amps. GoVibe MAGNUM added.
May 8, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 162
oicdn, I fully understood your ranking on the amps. If anything else, synergy factor governs how a rig is interpreted. Previously I suspected that a Tomahawk would synergize better with IEMs like UM2 and E500, your finding has just confirmed it. With an Ety ER-4S, Tomahawk wasn't that thrilling to listen to because both ER-4S and TH shared that "bright sound" trait - they became "overly detailed" and that took some musicality out of the music.

May 8, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 162
Well, the funny thing was, this review was done with BOTH the UM2's AND RP21's. I found they synergize with like amps. I found that to be VERY surprising that a set of IEMs and closed cans found the same synergy and results....

May 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 162
Nice comparo oicdn! appreciate your efforts
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 162
Hi Nate,

I enjoyed reading your review comments...especially about the Corda. The problems that you had with it I've learned to live with, not bad at all really. I do agree that it is a bit ugly when viewed in full...I keep mine Velcro'd to the underside of my gear table where only its face shows. With 30 volts pumping into it the red light is blinding!

The SQ only gets better when using the DAC version and Redbook CD.
600smile.gif

In that third pic the TH seems soooo small looking at it with the LaRocco.

May 9, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Nate,

I enjoyed reading your review comments...especially about the Corda. The problems that you had with it I've learned to live with, not bad at all really. I do agree that it is a bit ugly when viewed in full...I keep mine Velcro'd to the underside of my gear table where only its face shows. With 30 volts pumping into it the red light is blinding!

The SQ only gets better when using the DAC version and Redbook CD.
600smile.gif

In that third pic the TH seems soooo small looking at it with the LaRocco.

So is the DAC SQ better than using the line out on the DJ? I didn't even think about checking it out. I mean, it makes sense if it actually is considering the dac is onboard and designed for the corda....

May 9, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #21 of 162
GREAT review! I enjoyed reading it. There are SO many portable amps available, and so many people asking about them, the more reviews like this we have, the better.

I sure wish the MODS would take this, the Mrarroyo/vorlon one, and mine, and sticky them somewhere, since the number of questions about portable amps seems to still be on the rise. A central repository for these multi-amp comparisons seems really needed to me.

Again, Nate, nice job.

May 9, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 162
I totally agree with you. I thought they would have made your fine review a reference some time back and now with this one there is a great source of quality information.

May 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 162
I was going to mention that these be stickied, but I figured if the mods thought it was needed, it would be done....I think it needs to be, but I'm not a mod
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #26 of 162
Updated. Added the MisterX XP w/8397 and the Indigo DJ. I dunno why anybody else, or myself for that matter has never reviewed the Indigo DJ amp portion with any amp review...well, I just did, so HAH, lol.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested to see how a Hornet M stands in those rankings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lemme borrow yours
icon10.gif

I had one in the past, but I can't make a comparo based on memory
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 162
wow...glad that you like the XP..im using my XP powering almost all of my cans.. but mine is the desktop version with wallwart

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #30 of 162
What I loved in the review was the fact oicdn did not only comment on the SQ but also discribed his personal preferences concerning size, bang for the buck etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back