*Update 5/7*Project log - Disassembling the Grado RS1 & Modding and Thunderpants Mod(with pics)
Apr 26, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #167 of 182

Quote:

looks nice. ONe of these days I want a lathe. I find myself watching youtube videos all the time on how to use one.

Yeah, They're alot of fun, but obviously pretty expensive.  I find myself going down to the Woodcraft by my office almost daily to buy new wood or tools or...you name it.  It's a gateway tool too...I just bought a new drill press and now I'm thinking about going for a new band saw.  Get's me excited and depressed all at the same time. 

Quote:

damn i want those wooden rod holders (that's how you call them? L and R pieces) very nice craftmanship

Thank Proggy....I call them rod blocks. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #168 of 182
Ahhhh....finally...I hath receiveth my replacement RS1's.  These are definitely the RS1 Classic (2005) version according to Mercuttio's thread.  The 15 foot Black Dragon cable feels fantastic and the Furutech plug is ridiculously awesome.  I didn't realize those plugs were fully crafted of heafty metal.  Only thing I'm bummed about are the rod caps...I thought they were going to be the metal ones, but they're the plastic ones...and the bowl pads that came with the set are all kinds of jacked up.  Hopefully they'll return to shape after awhile. 

So, I should have the final modifications done tonight!  I'll post pics of course.
-Marty

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #169 of 182
KUUULLLAAAA SHAAKKERR!!

Coff.. excuse me.
etysmile.gif

Happy days. Can you give us a mini review of em? Soundwise?

Look forward to the pics.

Ahhhh....finally...I hath receiveth my replacement RS1's. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #171 of 182
I'm pumped to see these things! It's not normal to get this excited over someone elses headphones,haha. Goodluck, and happy modding!
gs1000.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #172 of 182

Tadaaa!!  Got'em done.  You'll see the paint and lacquer are peeling from the rods....I'm still experimenting.  But I think they turned out awesome. 
happy_face1.gif
  The rod caps screw on and off.  The accent rings are mahogany and are fitted just snug enough so that they don't need any glue to stay one.  Even the rod blocks aren't glued into place yet and fit snuggly enough to use as it.  Everything is fully reversible. -Marty

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #173 of 182

Damn those are nice. Great job. They almost look like you shouldn't wear them.
Quote:

Tadaaa!!  Got'em done.  You'll see the paint and lacquer are peeling from the rods....I'm still experimenting.  But I think they turned out awesome. 
happy_face1.gif
  The rod caps screw on and off.  The accent rings are mahogany and are fitted just snug enough so that they don't need any glue to stay one.  Even the rod blocks aren't glued into place yet and fit snuggly enough to use as it.  Everything is fully reversible. -Marty

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #174 of 182
Yep, those are some beautiful headphones! Well done that man!

Look the part next to your Leben aswell.  

May 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #176 of 182
wow, poped into this thread to see whats up since a week ago. Daaaang, Capital N ice work Marty!     Carpenter in previous life? or present? lol   
    Ive got a re-cup of my TP's planned with quilted maple and a little dying to bring out the quilt, I might just post a pic here if theyre up to the standards set already :)       

-M-

May 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #177 of 182
Thanks fellas!  

I'm now a member of the trade.  Going to give this a go...I mean, doesn't everyone want to do something that they love?  Please contact me if you'd like grado cups, my rodblocks, my accent rings or my wood/metal cup gimbals, etc. 

I've still got more goodies in store over the upcoming weeks that will hopefully add to the list of services that I can offer. 

-Marty

Oh, here's a couple pics.  First are my TP's.  They should be done by the end of the week and they will be pretty unique I think.  Also a small, crappy pic of some grado cup blanks ready to rock.  I've got 4 Jobillo and 4 Cebil. 

May 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #178 of 182
Ok. Got the new Tpants done.  I messed up a driver last night after dinner and a few margaritas.
confused_face.gif
  Had them all together and recabled and decided it needed another bass port.  I thought I had enough clearance...one came out fine but the other one I grazed the mdf with the drill bit.  I kinda fixed it this morning with a bead of solder but it wasn't as loud as the other driver, so I ordered a new pair of T50's today.  Me an idiot.  I might play around with it still but I think it's toast.

As you can see these are not adjustable...so if I end up selling them, I'll have to throw in the circumference of my melon.

These have a larger chamber than the Smeggy TP's I monkeyed around with, so I'm going to need to mess around with dampening to get it right.  I bet I put in around 20 or so hours on these, at least.  It's fun and frustrating at the same time. 

Starting work on the next set.  Zebra wood with cedar baffles.  I want a thinner baffle for these and will be looking at another set of Beyer pads.  I think I'll shoot for a slightly smaller air chamber too.  Should be neat!

-Marty

(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

May 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #179 of 182
Another fine job man. I'm still waiting on a set. Ordered last Sunday and was expecting them this past week. I'll be lucky if they ship Monday. I was going to see if the local guy wanted to try to make a set of cups but I haven't been able to talk to him since I got my hf2s fixed.

May 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #180 of 182
WOW... those are really nice looking, I hate the plain rubber headband with the wooden cups but that leather slip just makes it sooo much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back