*Update 5/7*Project log - Disassembling the Grado RS1 & Modding and Thunderpants Mod(with pics)
May 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #181 of 182
Quote:
Hey guys.  So worked on the T-pants tonight and finally got them all done....and they turned out amazing.  I reversed the dampening that had been previously done to them which was honestly sucking the life out of their greatness.  Honestly when I received them I was less than impressed....but now they sound absolutely glorious and they look amazing.  You'll see in the pics what's been done.  I tried cork board for the dampener but the drivers/baffles wouldn't fit over it.  So stuck black leather in and put felt back over the drivers as Smeggy's original mod entails and whammo! Audio bliss.  Also stuck on some beyer pads I had laying around.  They fit perfectly.  No slop whatsoever, plus leaves the bass ports completely open....the O2 pad would almost always cover them up.  

Feast your eyes.  

Seems like you are the only one on head-fi prefer the thunderpants on a pair of pads other than the Stax. To all of us that's a good news because the stax pads are so expensive, especially if you were in the UK. Could you compare the sound of the beyer to the stax pads in detail with your favourite damping scheme? Im more interested in the change those pads made to the sound since we all have different damping scheme. I suppose the soundstage is wider, but does it seems decrease the bass and mid? Thanks

May 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #182 of 182
Awesome work! I really wish I hadn't seen this thread... I've been toying with the idea of re-cabling and refinishing my RS2i's or just selling them and picking up a new pair of RS1i's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back