*Update 5/7*Project log - Disassembling the Grado RS1 & Modding and Thunderpants Mod(with pics)
Apr 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #136 of 182

they all look good. Why does the rs1 cups have 2 holes for the wire?
Quote:
Ok. Here's a bunch of random pics.  Includes some of the T-Pants refurb project and some of the RS1 accent rings and the vintage B RS1 cups.  The 3rd, 4th and 5th pics from the end are accent rings that I'm going to sell to help fund the replacement RS1s.  They were my first set that I turned and will fit any cups that are similar to the RS1's like the Alessandro Pros, etc.  Lemme know if you're interested.

You can see that I sanded the nasty chip out of the T-Pants rod clamps.  Sorry I didn't get a pic of the inside of the T-Pants cups.  Underneath that insulation is a circular cutout of leather.  I took out the insulation.  I thought it absorbed way too much.  With just the leather they sound better, but I'm going to mess with different materials to see what I can get.  I re-sprayed the rods since I had a copper spray paint on hand and I also sprayed the screens for the RS1 cups.  I love that color....so warm and inviting.   That foam around the edges of the cups was a b***h to get off.  Smeggy glued it pretty tight-like.  

For those who might want to know....I wanted to refurb the cups and rod clamps because they're pretty beat up with small dings and smudges.  And the cable sleeving obviously needed to be redone and it was terminated in a mini-plug...yucky.  Who listens to orthos from an ipod?  

I used poly for the shiny coat.  I've been messing with woodworking super glue for the final shiny coats, but I really wanted to try this stuff and so far it seems to work better.  The super glue needs to be applied on a lathe.  The poly is just applied with a cloth so the parts...like rod clamps, etc. don't need to be turning on a lathe, which would obviously be impossible.  I should be able to sand lightly tomorrow and put another coat on.  Then Wed should be able to recable.

Oh, and I rounded the edges of the rod clamps.  I like the newer look.

Enjoy.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #137 of 182
Nice cups! (never thought I'd say that to a man!)

They've come up a treat, be interesting to know what they sound like with or without that wool stuff inside the cups? although the bass will probs be too much without.

RS1 shells look very nice and old (in good way) , you'll have no probs selling them.

Nice work again and keep us posted

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #138 of 182
good god those are nice. Any tips for soldering a cable? I'm fixing a Buddy's and I wanted to try and make them detachable. Do I just solder one wire leading to the right cup*internal wiring* to the jack and then another wire to the left side driver and it should work with a duel male plug cord?

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #139 of 182

Quote:

good god those are nice. Any tips for soldering a cable? I'm fixing a Buddy's and I wanted to try and make them detachable. Do I just solder one wire leading to the right cup*internal wiring* to the jack and then another wire to the left side driver and it should work with a duel male plug cord?

Do you mean detachable like the HE-5's, etc.  I think they use mini xlr jacks and plugs.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with how that is done as I've never looked into it. 

**Just an FYI, the re-finished, re-cabled, re-dampened Thunderpants will be for sale once finished.  I believe they will be making an appearance with a surprise set of black velour Beyer earpads too. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #140 of 182
Hey e-friends!  Look what I hath birthed this eve.  It may be a first of it's kind...no?  

A prototype...so still needs some tweaking but a great start to an idea that I've had for about a year.  Primarily will need better binding posts for the cup and obviously matching paint job.  I'll figure something out so that they're detachable.  I don't want to glue in the posts.  I did, however glue in the copper rod.   

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #141 of 182
Oh my $#% those are gorgeous. with a leather headband, those could easily be some of the most attractive looking grados out there. Looks very rustic and sort of steampunk even.

These are begging for a cable that's fabric covered (woven nylon?) with a wooden splitter. Incredible!

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #147 of 182
Yes, I drilled straight through the gimbal.  Those are just some small cutoff nails at the moment.  One could just glue them either into the cup or into the gimbal but not both if you want it to swivel.  But I don't like this set up. 

I'll be threading some bolts tonight that will be removable and should look much better and more professional. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #148 of 182
Hey guys.  So worked on the T-pants tonight and finally got them all done....and they turned out amazing.  I reversed the dampening that had been previously done to them which was honestly sucking the life out of their greatness.  Honestly when I received them I was less than impressed....but now they sound absolutely glorious and they look amazing.  You'll see in the pics what's been done.  I tried cork board for the dampener but the drivers/baffles wouldn't fit over it.  So stuck black leather in and put felt back over the drivers as Smeggy's original mod entails and whammo! Audio bliss.  Also stuck on some beyer pads I had laying around.  They fit perfectly.  No slop whatsoever, plus leaves the bass ports completely open....the O2 pad would almost always cover them up.  

Feast your eyes.  

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #149 of 182

Nice! They are in need of some black leather pads. i need to did through the fostex thread. i would love to grab a set and atleast have some wood cups made for them.
Quote:
Hey guys.  So worked on the T-pants tonight and finally got them all done....and they turned out amazing.  I reversed the dampening that had been previously done to them which was honestly sucking the life out of their greatness.  Honestly when I received them I was less than impressed....but now they sound absolutely glorious and they look amazing.  You'll see in the pics what's been done.  I tried cork board for the dampener but the drivers/baffles wouldn't fit over it.  So stuck black leather in and put felt back over the drivers as Smeggy's original mod entails and whammo! Audio bliss.  Also stuck on some beyer pads I had laying around.  They fit perfectly.  No slop whatsoever, plus leaves the bass ports completely open....the O2 pad would almost always cover them up.  

Feast your eyes.  

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #150 of 182
nice shooting also. i bought a rebel t1 a few years back wanting to get into taking better pictures. yeah..........one thing thats sucks is the lighting in my house. I was saving up for a new lens also. I tried out this one out: Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM . I returned it but wish I would of kept it. the damn thing is $500 now. I bought it for $350 in dec 09.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back