Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #61 of 164
Just received two custom made cables for the Edition 11. One is single ended made of 5N silver, the other balanced with 6N OCC copper (silver plated). I find the pure silver one improves overall balance quite significantly for my taste. This might be a personal preference, but tonal balance-wise, the silver cable tightens up the low end quite a bit, while making mids a bit more forward. The body of the bass however, is reduced which some may not like. Even more surprising is the ED11 takes another step forward in separation and airness. The sound becomes yet more transparent. The other cable, speaking of it, lies somewhere between the stock and the silver one. Driving the ED11 balanced I didn't notice any major changes in sonic character. That said I have not spent too long with the balanced cable yet, so take it will a fair grain of salt.
Share links please for research purposes?

Sep 18, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #65 of 164
And they just keep getting better and better.... I am astonished that this headphone is not talked about a lot. I paid $999 Aud for this headphone and I feel it's the bargain of the year. I truly do hope eventually more people discover this beauty. It's built robust yet lightly, it looks gorgeous and beautiful and the sound. It's so lush yet dynamic with great clarity. Just some EQ can make this headphone into a true dream come true. Amazing! 😁

We must have picked up the same ATA deal. I was torn between these and the Elegia + Dragonfly Red bundle as my first foray into HeadFi.

Ended up coming across an Oppo HA2 on marketplace for $200 as my DAC instead of the Dragonfly and am super happy with the combo! Being new to the whole HeadFi thing I’m just not sure where to go next but super happy for now...!

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #67 of 164
We must have picked up the same ATA deal. I was torn between these and the Elegia + Dragonfly Red bundle as my first foray into HeadFi.

Ended up coming across an Oppo HA2 on marketplace for $200 as my DAC instead of the Dragonfly and am super happy with the combo! Being new to the whole HeadFi thing I’m just not sure where to go next but super happy for now...!
I absolutely love them. But the Edition 11 do perform better with a better dac/amp. But the Oppo is legendary piece of gear. Real good stuff. I just purchased a new headphone though. It's called the Avantone Planar. Still am waiting for it to arrive but for $725 from Audiochocolate. I will say, impressions and reviews have been extremely positive. The price to performance apparently is insane 😊

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #68 of 164
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #69 of 164
I absolutely love them. But the Edition 11 do perform better with a better dac/amp. But the Oppo is legendary piece of gear. Real good stuff. I just purchased a new headphone though. It's called the Avantone Planar. Still am waiting for it to arrive but for $725 from Audiochocolate. I will say, impressions and reviews have been extremely positive. The price to performance apparently is insane 😊

I have a Darkvoice on the way and plan on pair the OPPO with that which should be nicer.

Planning on getting a proper desktop DAC eventually too... expensive game!

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #71 of 164
Ultrasone Edition 11 Review:
ED6320DC-71DA-4E33-8BDF-D551B6D4B633.jpeg

My mother allowed me to have my birthday present 20 days earlier (on 08. Sep.). Thank you mother haha.

I jump straight to BUILD QUALITY:

The build quality is for 979€ not good as I expected. My Master & Dynamic MW50+ for 289€ have a great build quality.
Don't get me wrong, the quality of the Edition 11 is good (Walnut, Alcantara, Velours, Aluminium), but not great for this price compared with my M&D.
I think the Edition 11 feels not so durable. The long cable (3m) is ok and very flexible.
The right cable plug on the headphone wobbles. There are sound dropouts when I contact the right cable. I fixed it with glue, no joke. 979€!

I have number 410 from 1.111

6-7/10

COMFORT:
3F9D0EF4-0909-4E9F-9F7B-0537CC2BB1FC.jpeg

The comfort is very good. The headphone is not heavy and the earpads are big enough and comfortable, but the headband is just ok (not enough padded).
I have headsize L/XL (60cm) and the claiming force is ok. I can wear them without problems.

8/10

SOUNDQUALITY:
EE4B88C0-EA87-4E4C-8201-D897856A4E6A.jpeg

I tested the Edition 11 with my Denon PMA 30 with files from my iMac.
He have burned-in for around 30 hours. He is now definitely better than on Day-1.

I love Metal. My favorite songs sounds good with the Edition 11, but not spectacular or 100 times better than the Master & Dynamic MW50+. The overall sound is better and smoother and much cleaner. He is very relaxed and I can hear music for hours.
He have a great and powerful bass, not very strong but with a great impact. The subbass is perfect controlled like the overall sound. The voices are forward and sounds really natural with no sibilants. The sound is well balanced. The ED11 have a wide & deep soundstage. The separation of the instruments is really good and on a high-end level. He can handle every difficult song without trouble.

He have a unique soundsignature and he is better than the horror videos from the ED10 & ED12 on YT. Maybe he is overall the best Ultrasone headphone.
All instruments are accurate and they don't sounds like s***.

Imaging:

I tested the imaging with my PlayStation 4 Pro (with Optical from PMA 30 to PS4)
I played few games (Ghost of Tsushima, RDR 2, COD... / Profile: LaVey1999) and watch series (TWD...) and I think the imaging is on a high level.

Mobile Use:

For mobile use I tested the Edition 11 on my iPad & iPod. He can get louder than my Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R, but he need definitely an amp. The overall sound is mobile very different: less bass, not clean and the sound is not enjoyable and for this price just bad. The 139€ Beyerdynamic sounds mobile better than the Ultrasone. It was just a try and had nothing to do with my result.

9/10

OVERALL:

The Ultrasone Edition 11 is a good headphone. He is comfortable with a very good sound, but the build quality (HANDMADE IN GERMANY!!!) is not High-End.

8/10

PS:

This review is maybe not detailed enough, because english is not my native language.
The description of the sound is not easy for me in another language and this was my first review on head-fi.org.
Reading is easier than writing haha.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #72 of 164
Thanks for the review.

Definitely expected better build quality for the price. Don't have issues with dropouts, but the right, height band adjustment is a lot tougher to move than the one on the left which works perfect. Thankfully, I rarely have to readjust.

I find it extremely comfortable and like the sound, so still happy overall.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #74 of 164
Nice review.

Personally I don't have any issues with build quality. This is probably because the other headphones I have are from: Audeze, Hifiman, Grado...
I agree. The build on mine seems great. Everything is really smooth, no creaks. It's strange that the 2 pin socket moves :/. Maybe contact Ultrasone about that?

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #75 of 164
Ultrasone Edition 11 Review:
ED6320DC-71DA-4E33-8BDF-D551B6D4B633.jpeg
My mother allowed me to have my birthday present 20 days earlier (on 08. Sep.). Thank you mother haha.

I jump straight to BUILD QUALITY:

The build quality is for 979€ not good as I expected. My Master & Dynamic MW50+ for 289€ have a great build quality.
Don't get me wrong, the quality of the Edition 11 is good (Walnut, Alcantara, Velours, Aluminium), but not great for this price compared with my M&D.
I think the Edition 11 feels not so durable. The long cable (3m) is ok and very flexible.
The right cable plug on the headphone wobbles. There are sound dropouts when I contact the right cable. I fixed it with glue, no joke. 979€!

I have number 410 from 1.111

6-7/10

COMFORT:
3F9D0EF4-0909-4E9F-9F7B-0537CC2BB1FC.jpeg
The comfort is very good. The headphone is not heavy and the earpads are big enough and comfortable, but the headband is just ok (not enough padded).
I have headsize L/XL (60cm) and the claiming force is ok. I can wear them without problems.

8/10

SOUNDQUALITY:
EE4B88C0-EA87-4E4C-8201-D897856A4E6A.jpeg
I tested the Edition 11 with my Denon PMA 30 with files from my iMac.
He have burned-in for around 30 hours. He is now definitely better than on Day-1.

I love Metal. My favorite songs sounds good with the Edition 11, but not spectacular or 100 times better than the Master & Dynamic MW50+. The overall sound is better and smoother and much cleaner. He is very relaxed and I can hear music for hours.
He have a great and powerful bass, not very strong but with a great impact. The subbass is perfect controlled like the overall sound. The voices are forward and sounds really natural with no sibilants. The sound is well balanced. The ED11 have a wide & deep soundstage. The separation of the instruments is really good and on a high-end level. He can handle every difficult song without trouble.

He have a unique soundsignature and he is better than the horror videos from the ED10 & ED12 on YT. Maybe he is overall the best Ultrasone headphone.
All instruments are accurate and they don't sounds like s***.

Imaging:

I tested the imaging with my PlayStation 4 Pro (with Optical from PMA 30 to PS4)
I played few games (Ghost of Tsushima, RDR 2, COD... / Profile: LaVey1999) and watch series (TWD...) and I think the imaging is on a high level.

Mobile Use:

For mobile use I tested the Edition 11 on my iPad & iPod. He can get louder than my Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R, but he need definitely an amp. The overall sound is mobile very different: less bass, not clean and the sound is not enjoyable and for this price just bad. The 139€ Beyerdynamic sounds mobile better than the Ultrasone. It was just a try and had nothing to do with my result.

9/10

OVERALL:

The Ultrasone Edition 11 is a good headphone. He is comfortable with a very good sound, but the build quality (HANDMADE IN GERMANY!!!) is not High-End.

8/10

PS:

This review is maybe not detailed enough, because english is not my native language.
The description of the sound is not easy for me in another language and this was my first review on head-fi.org.
Reading is easier than writing haha.
Great review. I have a few things to point out. About the build. I honestly think maybe try contacting Ultrasone. My ED11 feels solid. Nothing wobbles, headband is smooth and sturdy. All feels great. And about the sound, they do scale with better gear. Maybe in the future you can try another dac/amp :). But other than that, great review :) but I do feel you should try contacting Ultrasone about the 2 pin connector. It shouldnt wobble :/. Mine doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back