Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
Feb 11, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 164
So i've been shopping around lately for an open-back alternative to my Sony MDR7510's, I was initially going to get the Sennheiser HD800 but with much consideration, i've decided it is not worth paying $800 for a headphone that I might not like. All I had to do was wait another 5 weeks then I would be able to buy an HD800 but I just don't think it's worth it, so I've bought an Ultrasone Pro 1480i instead. Should be with me in 2 day's and i'm really looking forward to it. I've always loved the Ultrasone headphones and have high hopes for the Pro 1480i. Can't wait to hear 'em!

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #17 of 164
So i've been shopping around lately for an open-back alternative to my Sony MDR7510's, I was initially going to get the Sennheiser HD800 but with much consideration, i've decided it is not worth paying $800 for a headphone that I might not like. All I had to do was wait another 5 weeks then I would be able to buy an HD800 but I just don't think it's worth it, so I've bought an Ultrasone Pro 1480i instead. Should be with me in 2 day's and i'm really looking forward to it. I've always loved the Ultrasone headphones and have high hopes for the Pro 1480i. Can't wait to hear 'em!

Curious about how you like the 1480i?

I can't really find any info on them or reviews anywhere.

Feb 16, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 164
Curious about how you like the 1480i?

I can't really find any info on them or reviews anywhere.

Yeah I was the same. I bought the Pro1480i going by my own previous impressions/experiences with Ultrasone headphones, that is very good. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. So far I like everything about the Pro 1480i, not just the sound quality but also the build quality and comfort - it is obviously designed to last many years. I've spent lots of time listening to music on my PC with the Pro 1480i mostly connected to my Audio Quest Dragonfly Red (also my Oehlbach XXL Dac Ultra but I really only use the Oehlbach with my Marantz HD-CD1). I also tried gaming with the Pro 1480i connected to my Sony receiver and was very impressed indeed. My favourite thing about Ultrasone headphones has always been the S Logic Plus technology. When gaming with the Pro 1480i, the most impressive thing was it's positional audio and how clearly it could display the distant quiet noises in the environment of the game (something most sub $500 (U.S.D) headphones struggle to do) and the 3 dimensionality of it. The best I could describe the characteristics of the soundstage of the Pro 1480i is that it's like a horizontal/flat C shape facing the listener. Sounds don't just go from one side to the other, but also backwards and forwards, up/down and in a curved motion. There is so much depth, the likes of which you only get with Ultrasone headphones. I like the tonality of this headphone, it is another aspect of it that is quite unique; Warm but well balanced/fairly neutral. If I where to be critical, then I will say that there is a peak in the high frequencies (somewhere between 10Khz - 20Khz) that may be an annoyance to some people. Not a problem for me though. As for comfort; I am very glad that they kept the old headband design for the Pro 1480i, I much prefer velour and think it is more comfortable compared to pleather/leather designs ( less sweaty too and lasts longer). The build quality is as i've come to expect from Ultrasone; very high quality and indestructible. Built to last.
Overall I think the Pro 1480i is one of the best headphones ( should it even qualify as a headphone? or should it be called a surround phone?!) available, regardless of price. This is because it offers something unique that even some Summit Fi headphones fail to achieve without the aid of an amplifier.

57n0k.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #20 of 164
May 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #21 of 164
Yeah I was the same. I bought the Pro1480i going by my own previous impressions/experiences with Ultrasone headphones, that is very good. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. So far I like everything about the Pro 1480i, not just the sound quality but also the build quality and comfort - it is obviously designed to last many years. I've spent lots of time listening to music on my PC with the Pro 1480i mostly connected to my Audio Quest Dragonfly Red (also my Oehlbach XXL Dac Ultra but I really only use the Oehlbach with my Marantz HD-CD1). I also tried gaming with the Pro 1480i connected to my Sony receiver and was very impressed indeed. My favourite thing about Ultrasone headphones has always been the S Logic Plus technology. When gaming with the Pro 1480i, the most impressive thing was it's positional audio and how clearly it could display the distant quiet noises in the environment of the game (something most sub $500 (U.S.D) headphones struggle to do) and the 3 dimensionality of it. The best I could describe the characteristics of the soundstage of the Pro 1480i is that it's like a horizontal/flat C shape facing the listener. Sounds don't just go from one side to the other, but also backwards and forwards, up/down and in a curved motion. There is so much depth, the likes of which you only get with Ultrasone headphones. I like the tonality of this headphone, it is another aspect of it that is quite unique; Warm but well balanced/fairly neutral. If I where to be critical, then I will say that there is a peak in the high frequencies (somewhere between 10Khz - 20Khz) that may be an annoyance to some people. Not a problem for me though. As for comfort; I am very glad that they kept the old headband design for the Pro 1480i, I much prefer velour and think it is more comfortable compared to pleather/leather designs ( less sweaty too and lasts longer). The build quality is as i've come to expect from Ultrasone; very high quality and indestructible. Built to last.
Overall I think the Pro 1480i is one of the best headphones ( should it even qualify as a headphone? or should it be called a surround phone?!) available, regardless of price. This is because it offers something unique that even some Summit Fi headphones fail to achieve without the aid of an amplifier.

57n0k.jpg
Is it made in Taiwan like all other PRO models?

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #22 of 164
Just noticed the Edition 11 is now on Amazon.UK. Also a few other UK/EU retailers also have them in stock.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasone-...electronics&sprefix=ultrasone,aps,152&sr=1-13

We complete our full review of the Edition 11. This is not a sound I normally associate with Ultrasone being a former owner fo the Edition 8.

https://headfonics.com/2019/05/ultrasone-edition-11-review/

DSCF0377-1.jpg

Only 1,111 units made huh?!
Walnut cups, comfy velour earpads, and bio-cellulose drivers. What's not to like! Hoping to read more about it's sound. Perhaps if I hadn't bought my B&W P9 Signature i'd have gave the Edition 11 a go. Definitely seems an interesting design, and a drastic change in direction by Ultrasone.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 164
Hi Marcus,
Can we use any 2 pin earphone cable for this headphone?

So long as the barrels fit and the polarity is normal then yes :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 164
Bismillah

Can anyone please tell me how the ed11 compares with similarly priced headphones like the Clear, the Fostex opens or ZMF artour or any headphones in the price range? Thanks.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #27 of 164
I am extremely curious about these. Can anyone please compare and give me an idea of how it competes with other similar priced headphones such as the Focal Clear, Audezd LCD-2, Hifiman Ananda etc etc 😊. I can get these for a good price and it really tickling the buy me nerve haha

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 164
This thread doesn't get much attention, but I too would love an Edition 11 comparison to the Hifiman Ananda or Arya. The Edition 11 seems like it would be wonderful, but it's hard to tell with so few comparisons around.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 164
This thread doesn't get much attention, but I too would love an Edition 11 comparison to the Hifiman Ananda or Arya. The Edition 11 seems like it would be wonderful, but it's hard to tell with so few comparisons around.
I ended up buying the Edition 11 and even though I can't compare them to the Ananda and Arya physically, I have listened to them and remember them from memory. But I can compare the Edition 11 to the Focal Elegia and Audeze DX and from memory the Focal Clear. The Edition 11 has a strong mid bass punch and I'm not kidding, it's strong. But yet it's quick, clean, has great layering and awesome detail. The lower mids are slightly diped but it's an extremely easy fix, even though they have this slight dip, they are still crystal clear, have great clarity and detail to my ear is higher on the Edition 11 compared to the Focal Elegia and Audeze Sine DX. The Edition 11 is no slouch with detail retrieval, it has a warm yet slightly analytical and very very clear sound. The upper mids lower treble have a boost where sometimes, some instruments and voices can become just slightly and I truly mean slightly hard edged. It's an extremely easy fix though, just drop that area by 1db and it solved that little issue. It helps keeps things clear though and gives energy overall to the whole sound. Higher treble has great extension and energy and no issues there at all. Imaging and soundstage are superb. Sounds much bigger than what the headphone really is. The Focal Clear, Elegia and Audeze Sine DX can only dream about having a soundstage this big. It has great depth and height with a great left/right imaging. The whole sound has this air where it puts you right in the centre with great spread. A lot of the sound feels like it's coming from the forward image and this is most likely due to the drivers positioning yet it spreads effortless around you with great dynamics. The overall tonality is slightly U shaped while the Clear, Ananda and Arya would be closer to reference / neutral. The Clear has overall slightly more forward lower mids and a more tamed low end with a bit more dynamics but the Edition 11 has more meat to the sound, the emotion it gives to acoustic guitars and voices such as Agnes Obel to my ear is just so much more satisfying and yet you aren't losing the detail. The Edition 11 does like more power than the Focal Clear though and the more power you give it, the better it scales. Soundstage there is no comparison, hands down the Edition 11 wins here.

Now this is from memory. But the Ananda sounds much more neutral / reference when compared to the Edition 11. Overall the Ananda has more forward mids but somewhere in the treble or upper mids there is a peak that can be slightly fatiguing after 2 hours or so of listening. The Edition 11 has a similar bite as well but it's less annoying where it can be fixed by 1db reduction while the Ananda it's more like 2 db. There is more treble energy on the Ananda while the Edition 11 has energy but is more smoother and just a touch more relaxed. Extension on both ends is great on both headphones but the Edition 11 really kicks and overall extends lower on the low end while the Ananda is faster, cleaner but sometimes to polite and doesnt really bring as much emotion to the music like the Edition 11. Soundstage is surprisingly close. I feel the Ananda spreads further left / right while the Edition 11 has better forward / backwards imaging and more depth to the sound. Height is about the same. Detail is a hard one, I feel the Ananda brings a bit more detail on the low end where the Edition 11 brings more detail to the mids and they are about the same in the treble. But due to the Edition 11 bringing the very accurate forward imaging it does feel the details pop more even though it is slightly U shaped. With the EQ it sounds even smoother and honestly, I'd still take the Edition 11 over the Ananda. If there is one thing the Edition 11 does perfectly, it's emotion and making you not want to stop listening.

Compared to the Arya is a bit more tricky. I havent listened to them in a long time. The Arya is overall very similar to the Ananda but more detail, a bigger soundstage and better extension on both ends. The Arya does sound more " Bigger " and wider when compared to the Edition 11 but imaging is actually about the same. The Edition 11 really nails imaging. Detail I think would go to the Arya but the Edition 11 is still very close. The Arya overall from what I remember is great for analytical listening but when you really want to listen and enjoy what you are listsning to. The Edition 11 is personally for me, the one I will always choose.

Best way I can describe these is. If you are someones that uses a HD800s and want a different sound to compliment them. The Edition 11 is the perfect compliment. It's soundstage is still big. Not as big as HD800s but BIG. It has more meat and overall emotion to the sound with more low end kick and overall smoother and relaxed tonality, not too relaxed though, it's not a muddy or veiled sound. It's still, very very veryyyyy clear!!!. But that's how I can describe them. Perfect companion for the HD800s. 😊

They are seriously good headphones and if you can get them discounted. Extremely an amazing bargain.

Sorry I didn't say much about the Audeze Sine DX and Elegia as I just saw how big the post is but basically, the Edition 11 has more low end. More detail, better imaging and bigger soundstage. The Elegia has more forward mids, a bit more dynamics.

The Sine DX has less treble extension and treble energy. Smaller soundstage and imaging. Less detail. Great mid focused sound. More mid forward than Edition 11.

Screenshot_20200717-104258_Poweramp.jpg
This is the EQ I use for the Edition 11. Truly an easy fix.

And some photos of the Edition 11 😊.
20200715_175350.jpg
20200715_175319.jpg
20200715_175250.jpg
20200715_175737.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #30 of 164
Fantastic comparison! Gives me a great impression of them from multiple angles. Now I just have to find a good deal on these...

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back