Ultrasone Pro 1480i Impressions.
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SonyFan121

AKA Steven31, Audio Aficionado, Audioholic123, JVC steven, and others
I thought I would create an impressions thread for the Ultrasone Pro 1480i as I couldn't find one.
Although it doesn't look like it upon first glance, the Pro 1480i is a semi open-back headphone. I bought one today and have been listening for a few hours now, I'll get straight to the point; The Pro 1480i is the best Ultrasone i've heard! I've owned the Pro 900, HFI 780 and the Edition M and liked them all, but they had slight imperfections with their sound signature compared to the Pro 1480i. The Pro 1480i has extremely accurate imaging, lifelike 3 dimensional soundstage, amazing bass, warm mid's and unlike the other Ultrasone's i've owned, the high's/treble of the Pro1480i is perfectly tuned. It doesn't have the metallic high frequency "tzz" sound that I experienced with the Pro 900..and is not as bright as the HFI 780 and Edition M. Overall I will say that the Pro 1480i has a warm, fast, energetic sound signature with lot's of decay but also very well balanced with non-fatiguing high's. It is the best Ultrasone i've heard and one of the best headphones i've ever heard.
23tgole.jpg

Technical Specifications:
  • Principle: dynamic, open
  • S-Logic® Plus technology
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Driver/Driver size: Mylar, 40 mm
  • Magnet: NdFeB
  • Frequency range: 20 – 20.000 Hz
  • SPL: 94 dB
  • Weight (excl. cord): 295 g

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Im interested! How does it compare to your AKG? (I have the k701).
Going from some german reviews these seem to match my taste.
Do you think it sounds more airy/open or more closed in?

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 8
I think Ultrasone headphones tend to have above average soundstage and imaging, but not the sense that they have the widest soundstage. The soundstage of the Pro 1480i is not as wide as my AKG K702, but the Pro 1480i is allot more 3 dimensional and I think the imaging is blatantly superior, so the Pro 1480i does sound more closed in, but the imaging is so good that to me it still sounds just as airy. The Pro 1480i has more mid-bass than my K702, but it doesn't drown out the sub-bass and high frequencies. It has a warm sound signature yet the bass/mid's/high's are well balanced. I've been testing the Pro 1480i using my Audioquest Dragonfly Red connected to my PC, listening to various genre's of music from Spotify and so far the music that I would say it performs best with is acoustic, classical, live performances and EDM.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 8
I thought I would create an impressions thread for the Ultrasone Pro 1480i as I couldn't find one.
Although it doesn't look like it upon first glance, the Pro 1480i is a semi open-back headphone. I bought one today and have been listening for a few hours now, I'll get straight to the point; The Pro 1480i is the best Ultrasone i've heard! I've owned the Pro 900, HFI 780 and the Edition M and liked them all, but they had slight imperfections with their sound signature compared to the Pro 1480i. The Pro 1480i has extremely accurate imaging, lifelike 3 dimensional soundstage, amazing bass, warm mid's and unlike the other Ultrasone's i've owned, the high's/treble of the Pro1480i is perfectly tuned. It doesn't have the metallic high frequency "tzz" sound that I experienced with the Pro 900..and is not as bright as the HFI 780 and Edition M. Overall I will say that the Pro 1480i has a warm, fast, energetic sound signature with lot's of decay but also very well balanced with non-fatiguing high's. It is the best Ultrasone i've heard and one of the best headphones i've ever heard.
23tgole.jpg

Technical Specifications:
  • Principle: dynamic, open
  • S-Logic® Plus technology
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Driver/Driver size: Mylar, 40 mm
  • Magnet: NdFeB
  • Frequency range: 20 – 20.000 Hz
  • SPL: 94 dB
  • Weight (excl. cord): 295 g

I am eyeing this item from JP market - do you still use it?

May 16, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I picked up one of these a while ago, and I was rather displeased until I figured out that I need to position it rather high on my head for good sound. The bottom of the earpads rests right on top of my lower outer ears, so my ears aren't completely inside of the earpads, which is just weird to me.

Clarity, soundstaging, detail, everything is overall pretty nice for a $200 -and-under headphone. There is also some noticeable reduction of high frequency ambient noise even though this is a semi-open of sorts, in the same vein as HFI-2400 and HFI-2200 and such. I've got an HFI-2400 on its way to me, it will be the second time that I revisit that very fun, bassy Ultrasone, haha. Like HFI-2400, Pro1480i's trebles are dark yet not without a bit of sparkle, and they are also very airy. 1480i has a fairly balanced sound beyond bass, and then the bass is very full and round, so nice in many ways, but not outstanding or anything. It has just enough boost for the overall sound to be rather warm. HFI-2400, my Momentum On-ear v1, T50p, and more have much more bass boost, especially my Vmoda M100 bass cannon. The weird positioning that I need with this headphone sacrifices bass clarity somewhat, though. I feared bass roll-off, too, but that didn't happen, apparently. The midrange is full, thick, and a little warm, typical-ish Ultrasone mids as far as I know, but not as vibrant as the Performance series. I tried adding transpore medical tape to the baffles to hopefully reduce excess resonances and it has indeed worked and this fun-sounding headphone only got better. Cleaner, more nuanced sound, and bigger soundstage with great depth.
I can easily recommend this heaphone. I do dislike the 5k-6kHz boost, that will definitely put a few folks off.

I'm curious if the 1480i is a rebranded older model of some kind?

edit: I don't know if I'd agree with the OP on 1480i being that good, Pro750 and the Performance 840 and 860 have their very noticeable sonic advantages over 1480i's sound. 840 and 860 certainly sound higher-fidelity, though they have their odd quirks that are hard to describe. Pro750 and Pro1480i are also rather quirky. 1480i sounds a little different, hard to explain. It's definitely a little quirky, but different. Pro750 didn't quite convince me and made me want to revisit Perf840, but a gent gave me a good deal on Perf860 a couple years ago and I've been enjoying that one a lot. I put it away for a while and forgot I had it, now I'm using it again after the 1480i reminded me that I have another Ultrasone.
Also, I definitely don't feel that 1480i's soundstaging is anywhere close to the same league as K702 and K701. That would be epic if it did, but no Ultrasone goes there as far as I know. 1480i doesn't scale with better gear as well as Pro7x or AD900x, let alone T90 , HD6x0, HD700, etc., and K701 and K702 are in a whole different league beyond. I still have my "toilet bowl white" K701 made in Austria.

edit2: I'm finding that HFI-2400 also sounds best with the same ear positioning that i use for Pro1480i, plus with the transpore medical tape on the baffles, also like Pro1480i. HFI-2400 probably didn't convince me the first couple of times due to not wearing it properly, oh boy.
Sound quality is comparable to 1480i, but cleaner and bassier and less treble brightness, but not more rolled off up top. Just less treble energy, especially in the lower treble, yet not without sparkle, also less coloration. Better midrange balance.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm joining the (small) club here. Long time lover of Ultrasone - my favorite which I currently own is the Edition 8, which are incredible.

Been wanting to try them for some time now.

Additionally, own the performance 880 and the HFI 2400. Excited to give these new ones a listen and see how they stand up.

Nothing like the excitement of some new Ultrasones! :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 8
These sound great! Nicely nuanced and detailed, clean, tight bass. Precise, excellent imaging. Fun and analytical at the same time.

Feel cleaner, tighter than the 2400's - more precise and exacting. The 2400 can be a tad bloomy at times, with a looser and bigger bass, if you ask me.

Those are still enjoyable too, but I can appreciate what I perceive as improved control with these drivers.

I'll never understand the lack of interest in Ultrasone headphones. They are well priced, comfortable, and addictive headphones that you can plug into any source.

The edition 8 are my favorite for sure (full stop), but these are a fraction of the cost and built better as a sort of throw-around all rounder...

***Now we see if anyone else reply's in this thread for the next 4 months... :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back