Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #35 of 164
I own the ED11, the Ananda, LCD2.2, Focal Elear and can confirm most of HardstyleLoco96's impressions. I would only add that the major differences between the Ananda and the ED11 lie in bass response and the driver factor. The ED11 has more bass, while they remain remarkably clear and transparent in the mids and highs. With transparent source and proper amplifying the ED11 has good bass control, though they can sound a little boomy with bass-strong music. The Ananda is more relaxed and laid back for easier listening. Due to the Ananda's large planar driver they also sound extremly natural and smooth, an area where I think most dynamic headphones find it hard to match. With bad sources and tracks the ED11 can sound a tad dry by comparison. That said, the ED11 are superb headphones, truely an all-rounder that sounds good with most types of music. It is somewhat a pitty that ultrasone limited them to 1,111 pairs.

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 164
I own the ED11, the Ananda, LCD2.2, Focal Elear and can confirm most of HardstyleLoco96's impressions. I would only add that the major differences between the Ananda and the ED11 lie in bass response and the driver factor. The ED11 has more bass, while they remain remarkably clear and transparent in the mids and highs. With transparent source and proper amplifying the ED11 has good bass control, though they can sound a little boomy with bass-strong music. The Ananda is more relaxed and laid back for easier listening. Due to the Ananda's large planar driver they also sound extremly natural and smooth, an area where I think most dynamic headphones find it hard to match. With bad sources and tracks the ED11 can sound a tad dry by comparison. That said, the ED11 are superb headphones, truely an all-rounder that sounds good with most types of music. It is somewhat a pitty that ultrasone limited them to 1,111 pairs.
I absolutely agree. But... Last night I tried something and it really opened up my eyes and was amazed with the technical ability of the Edition 11. I been using UAPP and messing around with the Parametric EQ. I decided to elevate the sub bass slightly while decreasing some mid bass and elevating the lower mids. Seriously, this little EQ change has made the Edition 11 sound more balanced while still having great low end but feeling and sounding cleaner. The lower mids get pushed slightly more forward but this combination of the mid bass being slightly decreased and lower mids being slightly elevated.. I just feel overall, mids sound cleaner, clearer, the details really shine through now and overall sound has gained more air. If you want lower mids to be more forward. 2db should do it 😁. But this is really sounding amazing. Details just pop out so so clearly without sounding forcefull. It's a little tweak but really brings out the potential of the Edition 11. Will be listening to them with this EQ from now 😁
20200819_101511.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #39 of 164
I borrowed an Edition Eleven. Curious to see where Ultrasone has been heading to after the very well regarded Signature Series, and indeed they steer towards new waters with this headphone. Despite a few flaws I like these.

I made a few amateurish photos of my headphones (HE-500, HD800 etc.) so here you get a shimmer of the beauty of the ED11. Ultrasone Edition headphones generally look amazing and are very well built, also in material choice they don't play around.
If only more headphones came packaged so well and actually FEEL a premium once in your hands and don't fall apart like the soul of an ex-communist spy caught switching sides.

Package includes: headphones, travel bag, a cable terminated with the connector of your choce (XLR, 4.4 etc, ), an enclosed sample of their new TruTex bio-cellulose driver and a nice headphone stand. So whatever you decide to do with the headphones after listening, there is no need to buy additional gear.
Honestly, headphone prices rose up so much and for a Kilobuck we often don't even get a simple bag, nevermind the nth revision of a headphone. That's embarassing. Anyway it doesn't stop there. 5 years of warranty.

dsc010966teqx.jpg

Here's the FR of my model. FR's don't tell everything but from this graph you can already see that it's nothing you would expect from an Ultrasone when you departured from them years ago or skipped headphones like the Sig DJ, DXP etc.

ed11obdl4.png

comfort
: Yes, these headphones do not have a lot of "wiggle" room and are actually surprisingly stiff in that regard. However once you placed them onto your head with your preferrable fit (forward, backwards away from the back of your ears etc ) they mould around you very soon and all is forgotten.
Kinda surprising. Even after a few hours these remain comfortable, my ears never touch the earpads in any case or circumstance. Notable headphones I cannot wear for a long time: T90 (pressure point on the top my head, ear touches pads), P7 Wireless (same), old K7XX headbad (instrument of torture), old LCD headband, T1.
The headband has no pressure points at all and actually fully disappears on your head. Well done. Most people are sensitive up there. Eierköpfe, rejoice! (mine is a well shaped grapefruit).

There is a slight clamping pressure below HD650 levels making sure you can headbang with these without risking them to come crashing down upon your desk, lap or into your Suppenschüssel.
And a good, hot, rich, well-flavoured Suppenschüssel is something you might want because they indeed are a departure from what some definitely expect from their previous Ultrasone headphones - which is a great move.

general sound impressions: overall good tonality/balance with a few exceptions (more below)

Dynamic, lively headphones with great kickbass that stomps and pounds very well, albeit not fast and clean like a (EQed, because midbass there needs to) LCD-2C and there's a bloomy character to it. However in exchange more openness and clarity in the mid and treble sections.
Anyway, under 1k and a few steps above, no headphone does bass like a well-driven LCD-2C so no shame there.

Bass: The above mentioned slight bloominess of the bass also gives this headphone a warmer tone and a somewhat enveloping, fatter character, making the image appear larger but naturally also slower (more romantic) overall due to the nature of the longer decay than the best planars. Extension down low is pretty good and as it usually happens with dynamic drivers there's
a rolloff when going into subbass regions (yes, there are exceptions like the TH-900 etc). Still where it matters for most genres, it comes plentiful without becoming too loose or going overboard, becoming boomy and even causing fatigue. All in all the ED11 does this part well and in a very engaging manner.

Mids: Mids are clear at first but also pronounced in the upper mids, I haven't found a peak there that made voices shouty to me, even at higher volumes. Mids are involving and portrayed with fine detail, breath. They lack the dreamy character of the HE-500 but they don't share the coldness of the HD800's mids or the LCD-2s distance/ in comparison lack of involving factor and don't apear thin to me due to the FR.

Treble: Rather well extended, well behaved, not HD 650 smooth though. Can be slightly splashy at certain frequency ranges and slightly aggressive like the HE-500 with velpads, on a smaller range though. Overall there is no glossing over details, no "eingeschweißter Schinken" effect
71pen6totkl._sx466_30fn9.jpg

in terms of texturing and finer details as it can happen with some planars or the Sig DJ.
While rougher than the very best headphones these can still be driven loud.

S-Logic Plus is a strange beast. Certainly needs adapting, It might possibly not work for everyone and at first you might miss the openness or nature of these headphones. I don't know, kinda hard to describe. I certainly needed accustoming to it and now I can sense it even when having listened to the LCD-2C or another headphone for a day.
I wonder how S-Logic EX does in comparison, unfortunately it's reserved for the upper class headphones.

Negatives. There is some stuff I didn't like, since it can stick out:

There's a slight hard/harshness involved with these headphones (in the presence region) that can extend to a somewhat splashy nature in the treble with instruments, for instance with hi hats. Sabre DACs can go home, I don't think these would pair well, as with the HD800.
Reminds me of its 6khz. HD800 rises to greatness like Ikarus, and below the sun the beauty of our mother earth gazes upon you with a symphony of love, smiles and joy and then ZISSSSCHHHHH and you're back in the reality of a cold night in Munich waiting for the Ubahn for 40 minutes while wasting away unnecessary calories outside of the McDonald's. Yes this happened last night.

Anyway, while these aspects are less severe in annoyance factor compared to Herr 6Khz, they are harder to trace and remove for me. Maybe a mod might help as I suspect reflections to play their part here. It won't matter for many genres but it's there and we should tak about it.

more about this headphone later, also its gaming aspects.

Not knowing the ED15 these are the best open Ultrasone in years actually.
It may have been a while since you used the Edition 11, but know any other earpads that may fit them? I am looking for leather earpads as they don't sell the stock earpads here in Australia and Ultrasone doesn't ship to here as well. I'll be modding the earpads adding adhesive tape to the cups and earpads then adding velcro.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #40 of 164
We complete our full review of the Edition 11. This is not a sound I normally associate with Ultrasone being a former owner fo the Edition 8.

https://headfonics.com/2019/05/ultrasone-edition-11-review/

DSCF0377-1.jpg
Hi Marcus, I know it's been a while since you may have used the Ultrasone Edition 11. But I have been looking for leather earpads that could fit them or any other earpads of great quality. The stock earpads arent sold here in Australia and Ultrasone doesn't ship to here. So I am on the search for different earpads as I want to mod so I can make earpad swapping easy.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #41 of 164
Hi Marcus, I know it's been a while since you may have used the Ultrasone Edition 11. But I have been looking for leather earpads that could fit them or any other earpads of great quality. The stock earpads arent sold here in Australia and Ultrasone doesn't ship to here. So I am on the search for different earpads as I want to mod so I can make earpad swapping easy.
I wish I has an answer for your question. That is the same question I had myself.
I wanted to approach dekoni, but never did.
Edition 11 is still my daily headphone, I really like it's none fatiguing sound .

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #42 of 164
I wish I has an answer for your question. That is the same question I had myself.
I wanted to approach dekoni, but never did.
Edition 11 is still my daily headphone, I really like it's none fatiguing sound .
I absolutely love it, non fatiguing yet very detailed. Love them 😊. I am trying to find earpads that has similar dimension as stock pads but it is tricky. The brainwavs round sheepskin leather earpads could fit but I wanted perforated. The stock earpad is 100mm diameter. Inner diameter is 55mm and thickness of the earpad is 20mm

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 164
Screenshot_20200829-012932_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

I know not many people follow this thread but I have updated my EQ for the Edition 11. I still kept the lower mids the same but I have fine tuned the drop on the mid bass and upperbass and increased the sub bass slightly. No the Edition 11 don't need EQ but I like to EQ most of my headphones anyways. I feel overall mids shine through, mid bass is slightly more tamed, feels cleaner and faster and now sub bass has very nice texture to it. Imthe Edition 11 with this EQ reminds me of the Fostex TH909. The 909 has more treble energy and more low end with a slightly larger soundstage but the Edition 11 has a more smooth and relaxed signature, in a way more musical and inviting where the 909 can become a bit fatiguing. The Edition 11 is truly an amazing headphone and I encourage anyone that has a paranetric EQ to try these settings 😁.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #44 of 164
And they just keep getting better and better.... I am astonished that this headphone is not talked about a lot. I paid $999 Aud for this headphone and I feel it's the bargain of the year. I truly do hope eventually more people discover this beauty. It's built robust yet lightly, it looks gorgeous and beautiful and the sound. It's so lush yet dynamic with great clarity. Just some EQ can make this headphone into a true dream come true. Amazing! 😁

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #45 of 164
I ordered the Edition 11 today. He will hopefully arrive the next few days. I just have to wait 28 days for unboxing :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back