UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Jun 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #181 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that I can hear absolutely no difference between using the direct USB input on the DAC_I or by going through the CUBE.

well if thats true then im not sure how much better this can be than the auzentech prelude. It it worth the 300$ or will it not be a big upgrade?

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #182 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if thats true then im not sure how much better this can be than the auzentech prelude. It it worth the 300$ or will it not be a big upgrade?

I would think so yes, never heard a Prelude though.
When going through the CUBE, I don't use the CUBE's DAC, it's all digital, I just use the USB capability of the CUBE to get more samplerates.
The USB input on the DAC_I only supports 44.1KHz, while the CUBE supports up to 96KHz, so by using digital output from the CUBE to feed the DAC_I I can play more sample-rates.
The DAC_I doesn't support 48KHz though, witch is a bit odd, it plays 48KHz material but it re-samples to 44.1KHz.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #183 of 411
what exactly does that mean is it not able to use better quality and will reduce it? im not sure i quite understand resampling. I guess ill look it up.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #184 of 411
Quote:

Here you go.

[size=xx-large]that amp is turned up very high.[/size]

I fear for your ears...

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #185 of 411
I ordered one of these from David, and I will give impressions once I get it. I haven't used a lot of different DACs, I've spent most time with the DAC in the SCPH-1001, and high-end CD players at a local hi-fi shop... so I'll be able to compare these. My main source in analog, but I'll do my best not to let that skew my opinion of this digital source.

I haven't ordered any Little Dot products before, but they seem very responsive so far. Good customer service as far as I can tell.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #186 of 411
CD quality audio is only 16/44.1 so why you'd want or need 48 I don't know. (Yes I know about high-res downloads.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #187 of 411
I think the reason why 48 turns up is because it is a multiple of 2 and because human hearing is like 21 khz instead of 20khz, if you are curious. However, like you say, as someone who uses CD quality audio most of all I am not sure why you'd need it either

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #188 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]that amp is turned up very high.[/size]

I fear for your ears...

Not really, I have to turn it up above 40 to get regular listening volume, remember I use a K240DF it needs a lot of juice to play loud.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #189 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD quality audio is only 16/44.1 so why you'd want or need 48 I don't know. (Yes I know about high-res downloads.)
smily_headphones1.gif

When I stream danish TV from the web the audio is 48KHz and so is DVD movies.

I have to add that it re-samples very nicely I don't hear any ringing, hissing highs or anything like that when it re-samples, so it's a very small issue not a real problem, just a detail.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #190 of 411
Quote:

I can say that I can hear absolutely no difference between using the direct USB input on the DAC_I or by going through the CUBE.

I have to take this back, now that my new little Dot stuff has been burned in, it has become obvious that the CUBE makes everything sound more fuzzy and soft.
It seems I have to get used to produce music in 44.1KHz rather then 96Khz, oh well...

I'll edit my previous post.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #191 of 411
Any detailed reviews of the LD DAC_1...or ANY reviews for that matter?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #192 of 411
Quote:

I would think so yes, never heard a Prelude though.
When going through the CUBE, I don't use the CUBE's DAC, it's all digital, I just use the USB capability of the CUBE to get more samplerates.
The USB input on the DAC_I only supports 44.1KHz, while the CUBE supports up to 96KHz, so by using digital output from the CUBE to feed the DAC_I I can play more sample-rates.
The DAC_I doesn't support 48KHz though, witch is a bit odd, it plays 48KHz material but it re-samples to 44.1KHz.

LD DAC_I support 48KHz sampling, but due to 44.1KHz in dealing with WM8805 and 48KHz (88KHz and 96KHz) when given the same signs, therefore, deal with change, and only show the content has not changed.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #193 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LD DAC_I support 48KHz sampling, but due to 44.1KHz in dealing with WM8805 and 48KHz (88KHz and 96KHz) when given the same signs, therefore, deal with change, and only show the content has not changed.

So it does support 48 KHz, it's just that the display on the DAC shows 44.1 KHz when playing 48 KHz files.
This explains that the sound quality at 48 KHz is as fabulous as all other sample rates.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #194 of 411
I'm anxiously awaiting reviews on this. I'd like to know how it stacks up against others like the Benchmark unit, or whether it's even going to be a step up from my modded Zero DAC which I'm looking to replace...

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #195 of 411
AS much love as i have for my zero, and ill probably wont sell it after i upgrade, but i am too in the game for a new dac. The little dot is on my short list and i am waiting for a nice honest review of this dac too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back