UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Jun 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #166 of 411
Can someone PM me the actual Little Dot page for this thing? I must be dumb cuz I can't find it...

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #168 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone PM me the actual Little Dot page for this thing? I must be dumb cuz I can't find it...

lol i was the same way i tried to find little dots website and the pricing page too once i got to the site

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #171 of 411
I received my DAC_I and mkV today and here what I can say about the DAC_I so far, I can only compare it to my ProDigy CUBE though, but I'd say the CUBE is decent.

First and foremost the DAC_I is a lot, lot LOT more detailed, sounds a much more open and transparent than the CUBE.
It also has much better highs, the CUBE is a bit diffuse is this area while the DAC_I is crystal clear and makes the high less prominent, balanced in other words.
The mids are fairly similar, the DAC_I is just more detailed and intimate.
The lows are the CUBEs best strength, the DAC_I has a bit more impact though, but overall they sound almost the same, the DAC_I wins a lot from it's great clarity witch brings out the bass in busy tracks better, no muddiness.
As for soundstage, the CUBE has a lot of trouble in this department, it sounds narrow and closed in compared to the DAC_I.
As for smoothness I don't know, the CUBE is similar in this department.

Overall, I'm blown away by my new setup, it rocks my boat for sure!!!

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #173 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my DAC_I and mkV today and here what I can say about the DAC_I so far, I can only compare it to my ProDigy CUBE though, but I'd say the CUBE is decent.

First and foremost the DAC_I is a lot, lot LOT more detailed, sounds a much more open and transparent than the CUBE.
It also has much better highs, the CUBE is a bit diffuse is this area while the DAC_I is crystal clear and makes the high less prominent, balanced in other words.
The mids are fairly similar, the DAC_I is just more detailed and intimate.
The lows are the CUBEs best strength, the DAC_I has a bit more impact though, but overall they sound almost the same, the DAC_I wins a lot from it's great clarity witch brings out the bass in busy tracks better, no muddiness.
As for soundstage, the CUBE has a lot of trouble in this department, it sounds narrow and closed in compared to the DAC_I.
As for smoothness I don't know, the CUBE is similar in this department.

Overall, I'm blown away by my new setup, it rocks my boat for sure!!!

can you post some pictures?

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #175 of 411
Very nice thanks for the review!

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #176 of 411
does anyone know if a HDAM can fit in this thing with being able to close the top.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #177 of 411
I'm looking for a few more impressions on this little dac myself, as I would like to upgrade from my sound card. It's pretty much down to either this or a Dacmagic, and honestly cannot decide at the moment.

The dacmagic apparently has two WM8740 chips, with one chip being used for each output channel, whereas the little dot Dac_1 is using a single WM8740 chip. I can't say from personal experience or from reading around as to whether this would actually have any noticeable gain in SQ. I guess my logic is; more is better? This feels completely ignorant, yet this seems to be the *only* reason I'm leaning toward the Dacmagic right now. Can anyone prove me wrong here? =P.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #178 of 411
Nice review Adda. The Prodigy Cube is only fairly marginal as a DAC, so the LD blowing it away is no surprise.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #179 of 411
Currawong do you like the Prodigy cube or 0404 usb more as a transport?

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #180 of 411
I can say that I can hear absolutely no difference between using the direct USB input on the DAC_I or by going through the CUBE.

I have found this not to be the case, see post #190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back