UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #212 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still waiting.....

Mine just shipped out. I'll post my impressions when I get it. I'm going to connect it via USB, then to my Little Dot MK IV SE serving as a preamp/headamp.

My source is currently Foobar and Media Monkey via the onboard Realtek ALC889 soundcard in my HTPC.

I'm guessing it will be here late next week or the following week, depending on customs.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #213 of 411
Thread resurrection reminded me to post my opinions.
Compared to using the D10 as my DAC it is a lot brighter and crisper. I cannot however distinguish a difference between sharp and slow attenuation.
I tested using HD650s to which it is a great match, bringing out more highs in the normally darker phones.
Compared to the DACMagic, it seems like highs aren't as bright with my DT770s but remains clarity. This is especially good with these headphones as it tames their sibilance.
Highly recommended.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #215 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honkymagoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my DAC-1, but I can't get it to work via USB. I've tried 3 different computers, and none will even recognize it. Has anyone else connected theirs via USB?

The coax works fine.

Have you tried using other USB cables?

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #216 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried using other USB cables?

I tried 3 usb cables, as well as 3 OS's on 3 different machines. Rebooted, checked Device Manager, etc. No dice. Coax and toslink work fine.

I'm sending it back to David to check out.

For what it's worth, even using the optical out on my plain vanilla onboard Realtek ALC889 sounded much better through the DAC-1.

Oh well, at least Little Dot has great customer service.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #217 of 411
Mine works perfectly fine via USB and I also use the other inputs. Here is my Foobar output w/ LD DAC via USB (hi-lited) using Kernel Streaming Vistax32

lddacg.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #218 of 411
Before you send it back -
Have you checked everything that could be wrong in the OS? IE in system/device manager/usb controllers?
Sometimes all it takes is to uninstall the particular port, and let Windows re-install the driver for it.
I'd hate to learn you spent round trip shipping and waited a month, only to find out it's not the DAC.
What version of windows, etc.?

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #219 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you send it back -
Have you checked everything that could be wrong in the OS? IE in system/device manager/usb controllers?
Sometimes all it takes is to uninstall the particular port, and let Windows re-install the driver for it.
I'd hate to learn you spent round trip shipping and waited a month, only to find out it's not the DAC.
What version of windows, etc.?

I tried 3 different computers, 3 different operating systems, 3 different USB cables, reviewed Device Manager item by item, tried each USB port, successfully connected thumb drives-mice-and external drives to each port, patted my head while rubbing my tummy - you name it. I never even got the tone you get when a usb device is connected/disconnected.

I've got a Little Dot Micro Tube, MK IV SE, and MK V, so I've no doubt it will be taken care of. Shipping times are unfortunately a chance you take ordering from China. Little Dot's service is top notch, but the shipping back and forth does takes a while. Oh well, you pays your money, you takes your chances...

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #220 of 411
I got my DAC-1 back from Little Dot last Friday. Everything works great. I first used it via USB, but have been on the s/pdif for the last couple of days. I have it running my lossless library via MediaMonkey and sometimes Foobar to a MKIV SE with Beyer 990s.

I used to think the Beyer's were somewhat harsh at the high end, but everything is smooth as butter now. I went from using the analog out of my onboard Realtek 889, so the DAC-1 is a big jump for me. I did try an Auzentech Prelude card a few weeks ago, though, and can say the DAC-1 blows it away. I'm having a blast listening to tracks I only thought I had listened to before. It's like hearing them for the first time in some cases.

I've got a set of stock Senn 650s coming this week from another headfier, so I'll update my impressions then.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #221 of 411
Quote:

I got my DAC-1 back from Little Dot last Friday. Everything works great. I first used it via USB, but have been on the s/pdif for the last couple of days. I have it running my lossless library via MediaMonkey and sometimes Foobar to a MKIV SE with Beyer 990s.

I used to think the Beyer's were somewhat harsh at the high end, but everything is smooth as butter now. I went from using the analog out of my onboard Realtek 889, so the DAC-1 is a big jump for me. I did try an Auzentech Prelude card a few weeks ago, though, and can say the DAC-1 blows it away. I'm having a blast listening to tracks I only thought I had listened to before. It's like hearing them for the first time in some cases.

I've got a set of stock Senn 650s coming this week from another headfier, so I'll update my impressions then.

Great to hear you sorted it all out....LDs customer service is excellent.
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #222 of 411
Quote:

Definitely want to see that, keep us posted!! Thanks!

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #224 of 411
The Audio-GD DAC19Mk3 isn't balanced koven. Just so you know.

Peete.

PS: Wow, just noticed...3K posts....

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #225 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audio-GD DAC19Mk3 isn't balanced koven. Just so you know.

Peete.

PS: Wow, just noticed...3K posts....

congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back