Unsatisfied with HD-600s
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

VuongPham117

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie who is not quite an audiophile yet.

Recently, I purchased the HD-600s along with the FiiO E7 amplifier with a LOD cable mostly because I've read so many reviews on this headphone and amp, and most of them are generally positive.

After over 150 hours of burning them in and usage, I am still not getting the sound that I want. I'm not even sure how much the E7 helps in regards to power and SQ. Whenever I use my iphone, the E7 can make the HD-600's maybe go 20% higher in volume than the source... However, when I plug the HD-600's directly into my macbook (without the DAC) the differences are minimal at best.

I really like the Sennheiser' sound signature, love the flatness and pure accuracy of it. But sometimes the vocals aren't as sharp as I thought they would be.

What can I do? Are the HD-600's not for me? Do I change my EQ and play with it? Do I get a better amp (yet so many people say that the E7 is fine for the HD-600s)?

I feel like I am not getting the quality that I paid a lot of money for. What are my options?

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 83
You need a better amp.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 83

Quote:
Do they sound as good with just the E7? Or do the E9s paired up with the E7 make that much of a difference?

Yes, that's a big difference. If you have the E7/E9 combo, E7 will serve as a DAC, the E9 will amplify. E9 is a way better amp then E7's amp section.

The E9 is probably the cheapest thing that can decently drive HD600's. There's always better offcourse. M-Stage will be a little bit better then E9, and so on.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 83
If you get a better amp for the HD600, you might find the same result or minimal changes and feel like you've wasted even more money. I don't know how the E7 does with the HD600 and different amps can perform significantly different, but it could just be the headphone or even the source.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 83
Don't expect another amp to dramatically change the sound. You probably just don't like the HD600 sound signature. It is a laid back headphone and not everybody's cup of tea. You probably require a more fun can such as the denons. However, if you want to persist with the HD600 you require a good tube amp.
Oh didn't notice that was my 100th post as well 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 83
I agree on that amps make less difference then a headphone's own sound signature

But OP powers his 300 ohm HD600 with the E7, come on, my experience with HD600/650 and E7, E9 and other amps, is that underpowering vs powering does make a very noticable difference.

In other words; E7's amp section doesn't make it decently possible to hear HD600's characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back