Unsatisfied with HD-600s
Mar 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #16 of 83

Quote:
I agree on that amps make less difference then a headphone's own sound signature

But OP powers his 300 ohm HD600 with the E7, come on, my experience with HD600/650 and E7, E9 and other amps, is that underpowering vs powering does make a very noticable difference.

In other words; E7's amp section doesn't make it decently possible to hear HD600's characteristics.

It's true - the limited voltage swing of the E7 does constrain high impedance headphones.  For medium-level signals it isn't such a big problem - the real issue is peak transients and bass lines that require that higher voltage.

With an amp capable of those higher voltages, you'll find those peaks to be sharper and better defined - the same for the bass - it'll be better controlled.  Now you're not going to entirely change how the headphone behaves, but it will be a noticeable difference when listening to music that accentuates these characteristics.  This is the difference you may be looking for.

Oh, and I'll be the first to say it - I suppose this is the infamous "Sennheiser veil" that you are experiencing.  While I wouldn't call the balanced treble "veiled", with my Asgard there is absolutely nothing resembling a "veil" with the HD 600s.  My uDAC alone used with the HD 600 may be subduing those transient peaks and muddying up the bass just enough to give someone that impression, but honestly the difference is quite subtle if it's not just all in my head.

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #17 of 83

Quote:
I agree on that amps make less difference then a headphone's own sound signature

But OP powers his 300 ohm HD600 with the E7, come on, my experience with HD600/650 and E7, E9 and other amps, is that underpowering vs powering does make a very noticable difference.

In other words; E7's amp section doesn't make it decently possible to hear HD600's characteristics.

Yes you may be right and it might be worth a shot in investing in a decent amp however a better amp will only accentuate certain characteristics that were missing with his amp.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #18 of 83
Yes, but it are those characteristics you need in the HD600 and even more in the HD650, to make it a "musical" headphone:)

I'm not a fan of the phrase 'day and night difference', but a portable amp like E7 vs. a decent amp, for the Senns, do make big difference,  and not only with certain musical styles. I know what I've heard and I don't think one needs to be an audiophile to be capable of hearing the difference.

Offcourse besides that, is the fact that Sennheiser is not for everybody. HD580/600 is the most safe shot in Sennheiser-mid-end-land, but it's still at the laid back side of things, whatever you do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's necessarily worth the money, worth the shot, but when the choice is made for Sennheiser HD600 or higher, a better amp is needed, otherwise it's not a fair judgement of the headphone.

Things like Grado, Denon, Audio Technica can give much pleasure with cheaper or no amps.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 83
Has anyone mentioned source, yet? If not, shame on you all.
mad.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 83
No need to spend more time on this thread, really.

These cans need a serious amp to bring it all out. It's not a matter of "maybe you don't like the sound signature", maybe you don't like it, but the truth is the quality of the cans it is there and it can hardly be disputed.

On tough to handle cans like the 600s, the amp is a factor and no Fiio in the world fits the bill here I'm afraid.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 83

Quote:

These cans need a serious amp to bring it all out. It's not a matter of "maybe you don't like the sound signature", maybe you don't like it, but the truth is the quality of the cans it is there and it can hardly be disputed.

On tough to handle cans like the 600s, the amp is a factor and no Fiio in the world fits the bill here I'm afraid.

How doesn't the E9 fit?  It's got the balls to run the planars and the voltage to run all the high impedance cans.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 83

Quote:

What would you personally recommend?

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 83
The same could be said about sources. I don't care if you spent 10 million on a source. I would never use an E1 on a can. A high end source doesn't matter if you don't have the juice to drive them. A source is very important, but it takes a good amp to deliver the goods. Amps and sources goes hand and hand. Skimping on either one would bottle neck your cans. A 10 million dollar source a a cheap amp will still sound crappy.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #29 of 83
I never said you did, and I didn't tell him not to get a source. My point was both amps and sources are very important. You shouldn't skimp on one or the other. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back