Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2,776 of 3,931

Quote:
A properly taken impression should only yield issues if it shrinks.  We certainly don't do enough shaving in our processes to modify the shape or size of the impression to be smaller.

It's a loaded question you ask.  We can't say how thick one layer is for sure, and even so, we wouldn't be able to gauge how much is needed anyway! (0.1mm? 0.05mm?).  If only fit issues were so easy to diagnose!

You see, the thing is, I currently have a pair of customs back at UM for re-fitting. There were a couple of reasons I asked for a re-fit. My last pair of customs was done with Rooth. These pair, which I'd done with UM, I specifically requested for longer ear-tips. So when these pair returned and the ear-tip regions are the same length as my Rooth pair, I was a bit disappointed. They were also slightly smaller than the Rooth pair; hence the snug fit wasn't 100% there. So in the end, I asked my distributor to send them (the UM pair) back to UM for refitting, making 3 changes: ear-tips to be longer; ear-tips to be thicker, body-shell region to be "bigger".

I was informed by my distro recently, that UM informed them that the impressions I'd supplied them earlier, weren't long enough for UM to make longer ear-tips. Now, I had tried to ask the audiologist to attempt to make my ear impressions longer for the past couple of times that I had to make ear impressions. Perhaps UM can provide some key words or guidelines so that potential customers can highlight to their audiologists and they will know how long the impressions will have to be, for those who really want longer ear-tips? Right-now, I believe most impressions are made "past the 2nd-bend", as what the audiologists will say.

Secondly, the reason I asked about how thick 1 layer will be is because I was informed by my distro that that's how UM is gonna make my body-shell and ear-tips thicker, i.e. layering one more layer on top to make the physical dimensions bigger. My distro advised me against adding 2 layers as they are afraid it may literally end up too big. Well, I, on the other hand, was afraid adding just one layer, wouldn't make the physical dimensions big enough. Hence the curiosity about thickness of one single layer. But from your statement, it seems UM is unsure how thick one layer is, or require the customer to specify how thick they want one layer to be??

Thirdly, I was told layering one more layer on top may affect the intensity of the body-shell's colour, particularly if the original colour's translucent? Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2,777 of 3,931
You see, the thing is, I currently have a pair of customs back at UM for re-fitting. There were a couple of reasons I asked for a re-fit. My last pair of customs was done with Rooth. These pair, which I'd done with UM, I specifically requested for longer ear-tips. So when these pair returned and the ear-tip regions are the same length as my Rooth pair, I was a bit disappointed. They were also slightly smaller than the Rooth pair; hence the snug fit wasn't 100% there. So in the end, I asked my distributor to send them (the UM pair) back to UM for refitting, making 3 changes: ear-tips to be longer; ear-tips to be thicker, body-shell region to be "bigger".

If you were a UMA client, we would be recommending that you get them made from new impressions.  Thicker canals are no problem.  Longer ear-tips are impossible without a new impressions and larger body/shell is very hit and miss when you try and modify them to suit.  All three...no chance.

I was informed by my distro recently, that UM informed them that the impressions I'd supplied them earlier, weren't long enough for UM to make longer ear-tips. Now, I had tried to ask the audiologist to attempt to make my ear impressions longer for the past couple of times that I had to make ear impressions. Perhaps UM can provide some key words or guidelines so that potential customers can highlight to their audiologists and they will know how long the impressions will have to be, for those who really want longer ear-tips? Right-now, I believe most impressions are made "past the 2nd-bend", as what the audiologists will say.

We always recommend that audiologists take impressions 2-3mm past the second bend.  If you want a very long canal, we would recommend that you supply us with as long/large and impression as your audiologist is willing to do for you.  Most definitely 3+mm past the second bend is preferable.  

Secondly, the reason I asked about how thick 1 layer will be is because I was informed by my distro that that's how UM is gonna make my body-shell and ear-tips thicker, i.e. layering one more layer on top to make the physical dimensions bigger. My distro advised me against adding 2 layers as they are afraid it may literally end up too big. Well, I, on the other hand, was afraid adding just one layer, wouldn't make the physical dimensions big enough. Hence the curiosity about thickness of one single layer. But from your statement, it seems UM is unsure how thick one layer is, or require the customer to specify how thick they want one layer to be??

We are absolutely unsure how thick one layer is.  It's like painting (obviously not paint) over the existing IEM.

Thirdly, I was told layering one more layer on top may affect the intensity of the body-shell's colour, particularly if the original colour's translucent? Is this true?

You shouldn't have a problem, though it does depend on the current finish of your IEM.  After modification, the additional layering may bring out and highligh imperfections from your faceplate, but it shouldn't adversely affect the intensity of the colours.

Thanks in advance.

No problem.  Mucho love. 

P.S - Get new impressions. 
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,778 of 3,931
Hi,
I'd like to know how the Ultimate Ears TF18 compare to the UM miracles in terms of refinement.
The Ultimate Ears TF10 + remold to TF18 cost me about 1000 dollars, which is actually more than the UM miracles. However, from what I've been reading, the UM miracles seem to be the better choice. Is this true? Since they essentially they use the same drivers and technology, I was under the impression that they would be of the same quality. I don't care about sound sig., as that's a matter of opinion. I would just like to know how their refinement compares (namely transparency, detailing, timber, soundstage, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2,779 of 3,931
Just got my Reshelled +1 TF10's back from Ampcity/UM... they sound ...epic and fit really nicely! :D

Only downside really is the artwork... I wasn't sure how well it would work out in the first place, so it doesn't really bother me that much - but basically it's just a bit bigger than what I asked and really feint... especially on the blue side, which is understandable. (single colour (Red-r/Blue-L) on translucent black).
- Actually what I have in my Avatar was what I showed them as an example (I sent them the png's too)

Pics:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Drumbone/IEMs/

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,780 of 3,931
It seems like the artwork is translucent. Did you ask for it to be that way?
Also, how long ago did you send yours away to get moulded? Still waiting for my Miracles to come back.

Love the designs though, I think they look quite good translucent, very subtle. But that's just me.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2,781 of 3,931

Hi.

I received my super fi 5 pro + triple fi 10 pro + add 1 driver custom couple of days ago.
I'm very satisfied with the sound, and the quality of building.

Especially molding quality is fantastic.
As you see in the pic, it is very clear and I cannot find any bubbles within the shell.

In addition, the line between faceplate and shell has very smooth finishing so that it looks just unibody itself.
I want to give them  A grade for the building.

why it is not A+?

Ans. the cable socket is very very tight, so that the cable plug can't be inserted fully.
I had to insert the cable very strongly, but I'm afraid that it has damage on shell.
They should have tested this kinda thing before send to the customers.

except this, all the other is A+

Sound characteristic, I satisfied with it.
Tight but rich bass make the sound very dynamic, but loss of high frequency is kinda...
but it is just compare to ER4S, or B.
My custom's high freq is also quiet good.
I think it is better natural than TF10 or SF10, and rich sound of mid can also the sound more natural.

------------------

By the way,
does anybody got the Re-fit service from UM?

The left shell gives me little pain of the earflap.
I think the impression was the problem.
I got new impressions and I sent them with IEM today morning.

If there's people who experiencing Re-Fit services, Please tell me your story.

1. How long does it take?

2. How can it be done? cutting, adding acrylic / and then polishing? or 'Re-mold'.

3. Does Re-fit damage on the IEM? or it can't be distinguished whether refits or not.

4. Can it be loss of noise isolating quiet amount?

5. Final.  Do you satisfy after the re-fit?? or not?

Please tell me your story.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #2,782 of 3,931

Quote:
It seems like the artwork is translucent. Did you ask for it to be that way?
Also, how long ago did you send yours away to get moulded? Still waiting for my Miracles to come back.

Love the designs though, I think they look quite good translucent, very subtle. But that's just me.

Nope, would probably have preferred them to be solid, but it's kinda growing on me anyway! :)

I Ordered on the 23rd of may, but it was 26th of May when I sent my impressions to Ampcity, who got them on the 28th of may.
I'm guessing it probably took a week shipping to and from china (no idea really)... so it basically took a little more than a month to make. Ampcity got them back on monday (11th July) and I got them next day!

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2,783 of 3,931

Quote:

Nope, would probably have preferred them to be solid, but it's kinda growing on me anyway! :)

I Ordered on the 23rd of may, but it was 26th of May when I sent my impressions to Ampcity, who got them on the 28th of may.
I'm guessing it probably took a week shipping to and from china (no idea really)... so it basically took a little more than a month to make. Ampcity got them back on monday (11th July) and I got them next day!

Cheers for getting back to me about that, just spoke to UM Aus, and they have my IEM's now. Will be picking them up in a few hours! Excited now!

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,785 of 3,931

Quote:
Hey Acesi7,

What was the total turn around time for your Miracles, from impressions to pick up?

Thanks,

gav.

Hey Gav,
I got my impression done and dropped them off to UM Aus on Jun 2, they shipped to china of the 3rd (they only ship twice a month so keep that in mind). I'm getting them back today 14th July (+10:00 AEST). So total time was a little over 7 weeks, but keeping in mind when I first ordered them I asked for basic artwork, but then when I saw the pictures of the Kung Fu Panda IEM's, I asked for revised artwork. So I'm not sure if this made the order take a little longer as I'm not sure what stage they were upto in the manufacturing.

Are you in Australia?

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,786 of 3,931

Quote:
Hey Gav,
I got my impression done and dropped them off to UM Aus on Jun 2, they shipped to china of the 3rd (they only ship twice a month so keep that in mind). I'm getting them back today 14th July (+10:00 AEST). So total time was a little over 7 weeks, but keeping in mind when I first ordered them I asked for basic artwork, but then when I saw the pictures of the Kung Fu Panda IEM's, I asked for revised artwork. So I'm not sure if this made the order take a little longer as I'm not sure what stage they were upto in the manufacturing.

Are you in Australia?

Hi Acesi7,

Thanks for the feedback :) Yep I live in Melbourne and dropped off my impressions a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since so I was just wondering how long it will take... 

Looking forward to your pics and impressions - also are you planning on using an amp with the Miracles?  I am thinking since I dropped so much coin on em an amp might be a good idea :) Although I'm not sure which one to get...

gav.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2,787 of 3,931

Quote:
Hi Acesi7,

Thanks for the feedback :) Yep I live in Melbourne and dropped off my impressions a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since so I was just wondering how long it will take... 

Looking forward to your pics and impressions - also are you planning on using an amp with the Miracles?  I am thinking since I dropped so much coin on em an amp might be a good idea :) Although I'm not sure which one to get...

gav.

Gav,
I had exactly the same thought, and with all the time spent waiting, I ended up buying a lot of stuff to use with them.

I ended up buying a Ray Samuels SR-71B Portable Balanced Amp, and a CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo
being balanced I would need a new cable for the IEM's so I spoke to craig over at Whiplash Audio and eventually we decided on a few cables for my setup. So I got a new IEM cable from him that was protector balanced terminated and a female protector balance to mini extension for use in other devices. Also got the mini to mini interconnects and USB to LOD interconnects.

So all in all the setup will be.

iPhone 4 > TWag v2 LOD to USB > CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo > TWag v2 Mini to Mini > RSA SR-71B > TWag v2 IEM OM > UM Miracles.

So hopefully that will fill my needs.

Aaron

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #2,788 of 3,931
That's a pretty serious investment!  

Let me know how much improvement amping gives the miracles.. and also the difference between balanced and single ended (if you have a standard UM cable as well)

enjoy!

gav.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,789 of 3,931

Quote:
That's a pretty serious investment!  

Let me know how much improvement amping gives the miracles.. and also the difference between balanced and single ended (if you have a standard UM cable as well)

enjoy!

gav.

No problems Gav,
I've got them now and will post just some quick info on my intial impressions, but we should move this to the Miracle thread as this is the Remould thread.
beyersmile.png

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2,790 of 3,931

Quote:

Hi.

I received my super fi 5 pro + triple fi 10 pro + add 1 driver custom couple of days ago.
I'm very satisfied with the sound, and the quality of building.

Especially molding quality is fantastic.
As you see in the pic, it is very clear and I cannot find any bubbles within the shell.

In addition, the line between faceplate and shell has very smooth finishing so that it looks just unibody itself.
I want to give them  A grade for the building.

why it is not A+?

Ans. the cable socket is very very tight, so that the cable plug can't be inserted fully.
I had to insert the cable very strongly, but I'm afraid that it has damage on shell.
They should have tested this kinda thing before send to the customers.

except this, all the other is A+

Sound characteristic, I satisfied with it.
Tight but rich bass make the sound very dynamic, but loss of high frequency is kinda...
but it is just compare to ER4S, or B.
My custom's high freq is also quiet good.
I think it is better natural than TF10 or SF10, and rich sound of mid can also the sound more natural.

------------------

By the way,
does anybody got the Re-fit service from UM?

The left shell gives me little pain of the earflap.
I think the impression was the problem.
I got new impressions and I sent them with IEM today morning.

If there's people who experiencing Re-Fit services, Please tell me your story.

1. How long does it take?

2. How can it be done? cutting, adding acrylic / and then polishing? or 'Re-mold'.

3. Does Re-fit damage on the IEM? or it can't be distinguished whether refits or not.

4. Can it be loss of noise isolating quiet amount?

5. Final.  Do you satisfy after the re-fit?? or not?

Please tell me your story.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your new IEM's. Do you mind uploading the frequency chart that came with your custom?(the paper thats behind your iems on the first picture) Im really curious how combining the two ue universals sounds like.

Btw, as far as I know, Rooth now does remolding and adding drivers for the IE8's, as well as other dynamic IEMs. Assuming that both UM and Rooth IEMs gets made in the UM Lab, maybe UM might offer them in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back