Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #2,791 of 3,931

Here's the chart of mine.

Anybody know the issue that I ask?
about Re-fit problem.

Please tell me that it was satisfied or not.
I'm afraid that it would worse than before since they correct 'too much'...

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #2,792 of 3,931
I recently bought a secondhand pair of 1964 Quad customs from the Classifieds. They're currently at UM China (via Ampcity) for a reshell and adding 2 extra drivers. I've gone for the Azure Blue shell with Titanium faceplate. Can't wait to get them back and see how they sound. I did try the Quads beforehand (they were moulded for someone else but gave me an idea of the signature) - it will be interesting to hear what the 2 extra drivers add. Hopefully a little more top end sparkle, they were already very good in the lows and mids IMO. I'll post some pics up when they arrive.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2,793 of 3,931
I didn't know that the UM's refit is not the modification of the shell.
Stephen said that it is the meaning of making new shell......

I should have concentrated on the new impression.... ha.............

My worries going deeper and deeper...

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2,794 of 3,931
Just curious really, which would you get redone.  Triple Fi 10 or Westone 2.  Extra driver in uk is £100.  Is that worth it or not?

Cheers.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2,795 of 3,931

Quote:

Here's the chart of mine.

Anybody know the issue that I ask?
about Re-fit problem.

Please tell me that it was satisfied or not.
I'm afraid that it would worse than before since they correct 'too much'...

Thanks for posting that graph. It sure does look interesting.
For your questions,
1. How long does it take? - 25 days approx, mine took 3 and a half weeks.

2. How can it be done? cutting, adding acrylic / and then polishing? or 'Re-mold'. - They make a completely new shell

3. Does Re-fit damage on the IEM? or it can't be distinguished whether refits or not. - No damage, guys at UM knows what they're doing.

4. Can it be loss of noise isolating quiet amount? - Can happen, they made my canals very short on my 3d refit compared to my first and second. Just make sure you ask for long canals and get good impressions, you will be fine.

5. Final.  Do you satisfy after the re-fit?? or not? - Yes. UM build quality is simply the best.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #2,796 of 3,931

Quote:
Thanks for posting that graph. It sure does look interesting.
For your questions,
1. How long does it take? - 25 days approx, mine took 3 and a half weeks.

2. How can it be done? cutting, adding acrylic / and then polishing? or 'Re-mold'. - They make a completely new shell

3. Does Re-fit damage on the IEM? or it can't be distinguished whether refits or not. - No damage, guys at UM knows what they're doing.

4. Can it be loss of noise isolating quiet amount? - Can happen, they made my canals very short on my 3d refit compared to my first and second. Just make sure you ask for long canals and get good impressions, you will be fine.

5. Final.  Do you satisfy after the re-fit?? or not? - Yes. UM build quality is simply the best.

Hi, bigBass.

Thanks for your reply. I knew that UM makes completely new shell yesterday.
That's why I'm asking kinda thing.
I think it is pros of UM, but I don't know why they didn't tell this re-fit services.
Since other company like UE, they don't do like that. They just modify and correct the shell based on communication, I heard.

Anyway, how about yours' noise isolation with shorten nozzle?
Actually, my new impression was not that deeper than before so that it might be shorten the nozzle.

I guess the short nozzle gives you more comfortable fit,
or it just loose inside of the canal? Like, when opening the mouth, the shell apart from the ears....

However, if the outside of the shell fits perfectly, it can't leak the sound, can it?

The sound character of mine is very interesting.
The graph shows that the high is cutting down, but when I listen, I don't feel that it lost the highs.
I think the double twiter gives louder sound of high so that it makes me feel like that it clarified.

What I really liked was the bass.
It is very strong tighten bass.
Actually I don't like the storong bass sound since normally in the earphone can't play proper bass.
Therefore, earphone bass sound go hazy.. but mine is NOT.

If you can listen the track named 'why so serious' from the theme of "Dark Knight' soundtrack,
You can easily understand and feel how yours can play bass well or not.

hahaha...
I wrote a lot...

If you have another detailed story about your re-fit, It would highly appreciated to listen.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,797 of 3,931

Quote:
I recently bought a secondhand pair of 1964 Quad customs from the Classifieds. They're currently at UM China (via Ampcity) for a reshell and adding 2 extra drivers. I've gone for the Azure Blue shell with Titanium faceplate. Can't wait to get them back and see how they sound. I did try the Quads beforehand (they were moulded for someone else but gave me an idea of the signature) - it will be interesting to hear what the 2 extra drivers add. Hopefully a little more top end sparkle, they were already very good in the lows and mids IMO. I'll post some pics up when they arrive.

Can't wait to see how your frequency chart looks and please let us know how they turn out.  Also how much did it cost you to do this?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2,798 of 3,931
I got my customs back from a refit and it does fit a bit better although it wasn't horrible when I got them the first time but just a bit off. I have to get used to the UM customs have a bit of a shorter stem compared to the other customs I've experienced. I definitely have missed them even though my 1964-T is still pretty god but these are easily better and with my newly acquired UHA-4 dac/amp it sounds great. I also got the UM cable and since my other cables for my customs got reterminated into a neutrik straight this is the only one that will fit my samsung sgs so no changing the plug on this one :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2,799 of 3,931
Hi guys, I've been wanting to go down the custom path for a while and really want to look into remolding the CK100 that I already have. I've only seen two people remolding them so far, at least in this thread, both reports were quite positive. What I hope to get out of doing this is a better fit and better bass response (slightly more heft without losing the speed and definition of the overall CK100 signature)

The CK100 is a triple balanced armature earphone, 2 drivers dedicated to mids/highs and 1 driver for the bass.

But then I had the crazy thought, if UM brought out the Merlin with its hybrid configuration. Can they do something similar with mine?

I've also got the Monster Turbine Pro Gold which has a single 8mm dynamic driver as far as I know and am wondering if UM could possibly breed the MTPG and CK100. I mean I'm sure it's possible but will it sound any good? Theoretically I'd be hoping to take the MTPG's bass which sounds great and combine it with the mids/highs of the CK100 that are simply sublime.

If possible then I'm assuming it would also need to be ported like the Merlin to get air to the dynamic and hence isolation will be worse. Now this is where I'm getting hung up. I'd be using my new customs pretty much only when I'm traveling around / on public transport and isolation is pretty important. I believe it's possible not to port the dynamic but if you do so, is there really any point of putting the dynamic driver in there in the first place?

Anyway, I'd like to turn this over to those of you with experience on the matter. What would you guys suggest I do with what I have available, I also know UM can add in their own drivers but I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible because really if I'm buying more drivers, we're getting close to the price of just buying something like the JHA JH5, UM Marvel or various other entry level customs which are most likely going to yield better results.

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2,800 of 3,931
Sorry mate, we can't combine the MTPG with your CK100's.

Best option if you want a bit more punch is to re-shell the CK100's to the CK100x4.  Dual lows, single mid, single high with a 3 way crossover.

It's technically way beyond the Marvel, and as a Quad, certainly holds its own.  For around $350AUD including cables, it's quite an economic option.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,801 of 3,931
And also, this may be a stupid question but would I be able to reduce the sensitivity of the CK100's in remolding? I find them a bit too sensitive for my needs and wouldn't mind them being a little harder to drive...

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #2,802 of 3,931
So after 5 weeks or so my UM customs have arrived back from China (via Ampcity). They're basically a pair of 1964 Ears Quads with 2 extra drivers added and a UM custom crossover. So that's six drivers per side in total. I went for the Titanium faceplate with an Azur shell. The finish is excellent with no bubbles and so far the fit seems good too. They've only had a couple of hours use so far, but first impressions are very positive. The overall presentation is nice and even-handed from top to bottom to my ears. Detail is superb with great dynamics and impact.

Some pics....

The 1964 Quads have a bit of a reputation for being bass heavy and slightly lacking in top end extension. These sound superb. I'd recommend these mods to anyone looking to improve their Quads.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,804 of 3,931
Can't say i'm sure, but I thought it was one mid and one high driver. I'll have to ask Amp City for clarification.

Before I got the new customs I was thinking that i'd put my Cowon J3 up for sale. It sounded a bit thin and lacking in grunt with my e-Q7s and RE-272s, which is a shame because it is far more convenient than my HM-601. Guess what - it drives these customs a treat!  At 20 on the volume control it is very loud and full-sounding - my other IEMs are often at 28-30! I guess that's what better isolation brings to the party. I was expecting a 6 driver custom to be less sensitive.

I think i'll sell the HM-601 now and get a Digivoid ZO V2 to use with the RE-272s. The e-Q7s are going too - TBH I can't imagine wanting to listen to anything else now I have these customs. I should've bought some years ago instead of going through multiple pairs of universal IEMs, trying to find something that wasn't possible.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #2,805 of 3,931

Quote:
. I should've bought some years ago instead of going through multiple pairs of universal IEMs, trying to find something that wasn't possible.

I'm hoping that that's the case when I get my three back from fisher (sent klipsch x10i, triple fi 10 and westone 2 in, erk).  Main reason I ended up with multiple iems was fit problems.  Glad things went well for you.  Me, I'm just praying I don't need refits!

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back