Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #2,806 of 3,931
I am in the progress of letting my DDM getting remolded. They can add drivers. But I wonder what my best option would be.
DDM's got plenty of bass, sometimes a little uncontrolled. Mids could be better and treble is OK but hasn't really got a lot of authority.
Perhaps best is to add 3 extra drivers( 1 low, 1 mid, 1 high), getting the bass tighter, the mids more forward and musical and than adding sparkle to the highs. Anyone has an idea about what drivers to let them use?

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,807 of 3,931
I´m thinking of having my UE TF10 reshelled (I´m using comply foam and in the long run reshelling just seems the better way) and I have a few questions, I don´t know much about audio and iem´s so it would be nice if you gave me simple answers.

-when I search for unique melody I get multiple results: www.uniquemelody.org , uniquemelody.co.uk , custom-iem.com which one is the right one? uniquemelody.co.uk?

-what is roughly the cost of getting ear impressions? I live in germany.

-what is the cost of reshelling? reshelling costs about 227€ according to ampcity.co.uk and 117€ according custom-iem.com, that is quiet a difference.

-should I have some drivers added? or does it make the sound worse?  I like a high amount of bass and nice highs. I´m not an audiophile so I can´t really tell minor differences. I can hear some difference when comparing the TF10 to the UE SF5pro, the TF10 sounds maybe around 10% better for me (which made the TF10 worth the buy). I don´t want to spend a lot of money, only if there is a significant improvement in sound I might go with 1 or maybe 3 extra drivers. I bought the TF10 for 210€ so even reshelling and  1 driver added would cost more than I paid for the TF10. I don´t really want to have to use an amp, would adding drivers require an amp to work properly?

-would adding 5 drivers make it something similar to the top end IEMs or would it still be far away?  I´m not going to have that many drivers added due to the price but I´d like to know.

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2,808 of 3,931
When did Unique Melody start remolding dynamic driver iems? I asked about remolding my IE8 a while ago and was told that it could not be done.

Quote:
I am in the progress of letting my DDM getting remolded. They can add drivers. But I wonder what my best option would be.
DDM's got plenty of bass, sometimes a little uncontrolled. Mids could be better and treble is OK but hasn't really got a lot of authority.
Perhaps best is to add 3 extra drivers( 1 low, 1 mid, 1 high), getting the bass tighter, the mids more forward and musical and than adding sparkle to the highs. Anyone has an idea about what drivers to let them use?

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,811 of 3,931

Quote:

DDM already has two dynamic drivers.  If you dare try a hybrid then grab a BA for the tweeter.  Hell, put a DBA/B2 in w/ the DDM. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2,812 of 3,931
They told me I could add up to 2 extra drivers. They suggest using their standard drivers (one extra for mids and another one extra for highs). So the drivers from the DDM will do the lows only. They charge 99 pounds/driver plus the cost of remold. What kind of drivers do they normally use for highs/mids and what are their strengths and (minor weaknesses)?

EDIT: I was reading about the DDM some more and it sseems that it has a 15mm woofer and a 7mm tweeter.
Perhaps I could let UM/AmpCity only add one driver for mids. The DDM probably is configured one for low/mid and another one mid/high.
By letting the woofer only do the low it will become a little more controlled. Same story for the highs.
Perhaps I need some more info from a person who has better understanding from what drivers there are in the DDM.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,813 of 3,931

Quote:
Perhaps I need some more info from a person who has better understanding from what drivers there are in the DDM.

Perhaps AmpCity need more info about drivers in DDM. They are DYNAMIC! not Balanced Armature. I can bet I saw UM australia reply regarding DDM, stating they won't do it. Also UM and Rooth PMed about remolding TWF11 declined.
Adding drivers to DDM - what's the point?

[Edit] By any chance if you happen to get DDM remolded I'm so much taking plunge on it!

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2,814 of 3,931
Just got my impressions done today! Will be sending in a pair of JH 16 pros to UM first thing tomorrow morning. I'm hoping all the research I put into this will make it turn out alright.

Anybody else had JH 13 or 16 reshelled? I specifically asked for the same crossovers and bore design...

does that even make a difference?

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #2,815 of 3,931
I had the JH16's reshelled by Kozee, but even after sending them back for a re-fit, the fit didn't come out right unfortunately, and I grew short of patience. Hopefully, you have a much better experience, as I hold UM in much higher regards than Kozee, based upon what I've read.

And yes, all the technical tidbits do make a difference.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #2,816 of 3,931
I'm thinking of getting my Shure SE530 recased by UM. They offered me the 6 driver upgrade and recabling, the total cost is now AU$540 without impressions. I need advice if this upgrade is really worth it? Thanks in advance!

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,817 of 3,931
For lack of a better option, would you guys at UM be able to answer me a few questions on Rooth's custom iems?
I sent my TF10 to null audio and received my reshelled tf18s today.
I'm happy with their look, but a keen eye will notice small subtle bubbles/imperfections in the acrylic construction. It's nothing major and honestly, if it wasn't for the amazing reputation of both Rooth and UM in terms of build quality, it wouldn't have bothered me. Nevertheless, I'd like to know if this was a manufacturing flaw or if it's normal for there to be slight imperfections?

Furthermore, I'm not sure if the fit is bang on. They sit pretty tight, but when I open mouth wide, the seal is broken. I also find them slightly uncomfortable, with the right side being more so. Is this the consequence of me still getting used to them or are they supposed to be comfortable from day one?

Again, I'm sorry for posting here, as I know you guys aren't responsible for Rooth's custom iems, but I'd really appreciate some help if it's possible.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,819 of 3,931
Oh alright, in that case I suppose it's fine. 
Well, I don't want to send them back if I don't have to. I'll test them further, maybe I'm just not used to them. If they continue to be uncomfortable, I guess I'll send them back...

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #2,820 of 3,931
Hey all, I will be purchasing a second-hand UM miracle demo unit. Probably will reshell with UM (obviously have more experience with miracle) I noticed that jh16 had triple sound bores. I was wondering will there be any effect if I ask for three sound bores on the miracle? Thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back