Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #2,026 of 3,931

Quote:
oh my. that's bad. I just send mine back for refit 2 weeks ago.

Well, maybe yours won't be delayed; cos I suspect maybe the process is already being sped up? Or is everybody's orders (from the past few months) being held up at customs? Did any official staff from Unique Melody came out and said something, i.e. overall delay/held-up at customs?

Did u do it through Null Audio?

Come to think of it, now I'm worried they will rushed through everyone's orders & be more "lax" about the QC...

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2,027 of 3,931

Quote:
Well, maybe yours won't be delayed; cos I suspect maybe the process is already being sped up? Or is everybody's orders (from the past few months) being held up at customs? Did any official staff from Unique Melody came out and said something, i.e. overall delay/held-up at customs?

Did u do it through Null Audio?

Come to think of it, now I'm worried they will rushed through everyone's orders & be more "lax" about the QC...

I was under the impression that UM has always been super slow. Delays from shipping and customs are part of that, of course. The QC has always been high, though.

The idea of waiting months and month only to have to send them back for a refit and wait months and months is something I'd like to avoid.

On the other hand, Livewires or whatever they are called now manage to be super slow without international shipping or sterling quality control, so...

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #2,028 of 3,931
I would definitely avoid Null Audio and go directly through UM. It took almost as long just to receive an Enyo from NA as the entire process did with UM (about a month).

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2,029 of 3,931
I think that before entering into the realm of custom monitors people need to manage their own expectations. UM are not the fastest of companies but they do have a great reputation for quality and they have to be admired for not bending on QC even though demand is super high...

As long as the impression process is done correctly there should really be no need for re-fits, obviously there will be the odd set that is prone to issue but I'd estimate 99% wouldn't have a problem if this intial stage is done properly. However, if you factor in that this could happen to you then you will be delighted when it doesn't.

Custom hold ups is a whole different issue. In the UK you can never (ever) know for sure if you will be affected, so it's pretty much a lottery. I've been charged VAT on Vacuum Tubes and small items worth next to nothing along with Admin charges etc...etc... and yet expensive phones, amps etc... I've bought from all over the world have sailed through even with high value declared. It's hit and miss here for sure.

My personal experience with UM was a pleasure. I knew it was going to take for ever for them to come back so once I sent my impressions and my W3's away I just forgot about them for 5 weeks. That said, I do feel for you guys who are anxious to get your phones back. All I can say is that for the 99% of you who got good impressions done, it will be worth the wait....

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #2,030 of 3,931

Quote:
...As long as the impression process is done correctly there should really be no need for re-fits, obviously there will be the odd set that is prone to issue but I'd estimate 99% wouldn't have a problem if this intial stage is done properly. However, if you factor in that this could happen to you then you will be delighted when it doesn't...

To give credit where credit is due, the fit (the 1st time I received them) were excellent, i.e. tight yet comfortable, noise isolation was pretty good. However, as can be seen from my previous post, it's the excess (material) extending out of my outer ears that was the problem. So I confident my ear impressions were done properly (I did it at an audiologist called "DigiSound" in Singapore, specifically the Novena branch; which I'm sure a huge majority of Singaporeans who made ear impressions, are very, very familiar with). The thing is, I couldn't fathom why UM made that much excess stuck out of my ears.

So when I factor this (..."but I'd estimate 99% wouldn't have a problem if this intial stage is done properly. However, if you factor in that this could happen to you then you will be delighted when it doesn't"...) in, I'm not very pleased when it "does". Plus the extremely long turnaround time, doesn't combine to make the experience easy to live with.

Quote:
...Custom hold ups is a whole different issue...My personal experience with UM was a pleasure. I knew it was going to take for ever for them to come back so once I sent my impressions and my W3's away I just forgot about them for 5 weeks. That said, I do feel for you guys who are anxious to get your phones back. All I can say is that for the 99% of you who got good impressions done, it will be worth the wait....

I agree with you the beef anyone (who is still waiting) shouldn't be with UM but the China border customs (but then again, they are of course doing their jobs). However, my beef isn't really with UM, but the Null Audio chap. When the "deadline" has arrived and something has been delayed, the customer shouldn't have to chase the seller. The seller should take the initiative to contact the customer to notify the customer that the item couldn't come through today & explain why. This, plus the fact the seller went off the grid when I'm chasing him, = very disappointing. I treated the chap beyond a mere acquaintance (have previous dealings with him) but I dun understand why he couldn't automatically notify me of the delayed order & explain nicely. It's not like I'm gonna eat him up or anything.

Quote:
ChavaC said:

I would definitely avoid Null Audio and go directly through UM. It took almost as long just to receive an Enyo from NA as the entire process did with UM (about a month).

That's strange; I would believe that Null Audio chap will have no problem churning out cables & delivering them (since it's a direct sale & no border customs to worry about). Where did you order the cable from?

P.S. Why the Enyo & not the Lune?

Quote:
My personal experience with UM was a pleasure. I knew it was going to take for ever for them to come back so once I sent my impressions and my W3's away I just forgot about them for 5 weeks...

May I know when did you send your order in (was it May & earlier or...)? Likely you were ahead of the delay by a couple of months?

Anyway...for me...85 days (excluding the 1st round) and counting...

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #2,031 of 3,931
I think i should stop stalking this thread, since i already sent my impressions and iem's off to UM via Stereo Electronics last friday.(Singaporean here too)

@ralliart12
I think you should have done it with Stereo Elect. rather than UM, I went with SE because my friend had his done with them too and it only took him 3 weeks. SE will always quote you 5 weeks to be on the safe side but the customs will always arrive earlier.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #2,032 of 3,931

Quote:
To give credit where credit is due, the fit (the 1st time I received them) were excellent, i.e. tight yet comfortable, noise isolation was pretty good. However, as can be seen from my previous post, it's the excess (material) extending out of my outer ears that was the problem. So I confident my ear impressions were done properly (I did it at an audiologist called "DigiSound" in Singapore, specifically the Novena branch; which I'm sure a huge majority of Singaporeans who made ear impressions, are very, very familiar with). The thing is, I couldn't fathom why UM made that much excess stuck out of my ears.

Note to all custom monitor buyers that there are various reasons for material to stick out, and they'e all legit and i'm sure you'd agree after hearing them. So let's begin. Impressions are made my injecting silicone into the canal and just to fill the concha, now the impression that we get even when made properly doesn't necessarily tell the manufacturer where our ear's concha ends, therefore they can't possibly make the monitors flush, and just to be on the safe side they made it slightly thicker than the impression to allow room for the socket and cable to fit properly, and not come in contact with your hearing where wearing it. This is to ensure that you don't need a refit, and also don't have problems in terms of comfort or simply, be able to wear them.

The second is to ensure all components fit properly to produce the right sound. If you have smaller ears, or concha/canals that don't allow the drivers to sit in the ideal position, then the manufacturer has to make adjustments to driver position to ensure proper quality in terms of audio reproduction. So if the manufacturer needed more room, they would've made more room, there'fore they don't fit completely flush.

Whether you are getting your monitors from Westone, JH Audio, UE or UM, depending on your ear, the monitors will or will not sit flush with your ear. Of course the ideal is to have them sit flush so nothing sticks out, however sometimes it just doesn't work that way. 

Ralliart's monitors are a great example. If we were to take a look at the monitors, and note where the socket is. We see that it is barely showing and right up to the side of the ear. Now imagine if we made the monitor flush, and the extra part of the monitor that is sticking out is gone. Then the socket would have to come through the faceplate at an angle. Which is already inferior in terms of aesthetics, fit, and comfort.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2,033 of 3,931
I had an awful experience with Null Audio too.

- Made an appointment with the sales person to make ear impressions (as they provide ear impressions FOC), the dude actually forgot about the appointment! He showed up 1.5h later after I called him. Ordered my Mage from him and nightmare started.

- From the day of the ear impressions taken, waited for 2 months, no news from the dude at all. SMS were ignored, called him, never answered, there were a few times he actually picked up then hung up the phone! Until I got upset and expressed my frustrations in SMS then he replied my texts, telling me to wait another week or so.

- After another month (total of around 3 months now), again I called, SMS, then got frustrated again and he finally answered my call saying he has received my UM Mage from China, he just has forgot to let me know!

- Gotten the IEM, the tips are actually not having the same length, hence the sounds are different between L and R, refit required, resending them back to China.

- After another 6 to 7 weeks of wait, also with many calls ignored, the guy finally got kind enough to let me know my Mage are back from refit.

verdict - Null Audio is not any kind of shop or organization, the dude is just an university student who has connections with UM Lab. By judging his attitude, he simply isn't ready for business, or maybe he has to spend time on study which also means he failed being a dedicated UM dealer. I have just sent my SE530 to UM Lab for an upgrade, this time I communicate with another dealer called Stephen from U.S, compared to Null Audio, Stephen is 300% more responsive and friendly. I sent my ear imrpessions to China myself and I got an update from Stephen when UM Lab received my ear impressions 3 days ago. Null Audio should be avoided, if you live in Singapore and wanna order your UM iems.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #2,035 of 3,931
Quote:
MaoDi said:

...i'm sure you'd agree after hearing them. So let's begin. Impressions are made my injecting silicone into the canal and just to fill the concha, now the impression that we get even when made properly doesn't necessarily tell the manufacturer where our ear's concha ends, therefore they can't possibly make the monitors flush, and just to be on the safe side they made it slightly thicker than the impression...

Agreed on the "how-can-they-tell-where-our-(outer)-ears-end" part.

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...not come in contact with your hearing where wearing it...

Erm, may I know what do you mean by this phrase?

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...This is to ensure that you don't need a refit, and also don't have problems in terms of comfort or simply, be able to wear them...

Unfortunately, in my case, it was precisely because of this (the excess sticking out), that I requested for a re-fit. Besides, for my set (& ears), they really do feel too big. & I dun get the latter part: if the excess is too, well, "excessive". Wouldn't it be difficult to insert?

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...The second is to ensure all components fit properly to produce the right sound. If you have smaller ears, or concha/canals that don't allow the drivers to sit in the ideal position, then the manufacturer has to make adjustments to driver position to ensure proper quality in terms of audio reproduction. So if the manufacturer needed more room, they would've made more room, there'fore they don't fit completely flush.  
Whether you are getting your monitors from Westone, JH Audio, UE or UM, depending on your ear, the monitors will or will not sit flush with your ear. Of course the ideal is to have them sit flush so nothing sticks out, however sometimes it just doesn't work that way...

Actually, for my UM/NA order, it's a remold of my previous pair of customs, a set of C3 from AlienEars (sidenote: I read now even their customer service is going downhill, nonetheless...). Unfortunately, I dun have a photo of me wearing those previous, but that previous pair were flush with my (outer) ears. I emphasize this criteria, as I wish to be able to lie on my side while using them (which I'm able to do so comfortably with my previous C3 & they sound just fine to me).

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...Ralliart's monitors are a great example. If we were to take a look at the monitors, and note where the socket is. We see that it is barely showing and right up to the side of the ear. Now imagine if we made the monitor flush, and the extra part of the monitor that is sticking out is gone. Then the socket would have to come through the faceplate at an angle. Which is already inferior in terms of aesthetics, fit, and comfort.

Like I mentioned, my previous C3 were able to accomplish this (& they did not make me suffer in comfort, fit & aesthetics). However, I do concur with you about the part in dark brown. Which is to say, you mean I should not have sent my pair back for re-work due to this reason? & now since UM have to accede to my request (to "shave" off the excess), they would have to compromise the quality (in those aspects you mentioned) of the re-worked pair?

Anyway, like I mentioned, the fit was perfect the 1st time round, just the excess looked ugly (that's aesthetics, ain't it). & the long turn-around time, that has me irked
triportsad.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #2,036 of 3,931
Quote:
From reading such experiences, i think Stereo would be a better, albeit pricier alternative.

I just wish to point out: I did request for a quote from Stereo & even when I add in the price of my 2nd pair of earmold impressions (because of the whole re-work & UM "used up" my 1st pair of earmold impressions the 1st time round), Null Audio's quote (to me) is still cheaper.

Quote:
darknessproz said:

...The people from Stereo were quick to respond to my email queries.

This I agree. I emailed them a lot of enquiries, i.e. some are even about very cheap items like a $3 audio splitter, but their response (time) is quality.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #2,037 of 3,931

Quote:
... - Gotten the IEM, the tips are actually not having the same length, hence the sounds are different between L and R, refit required, resending them back to China...

Isn't this a cable issue? Couldn't the Null Audio chap just issue you a new cable locally?

Did you flare up at that NA chap? Anyway, our experience seems similar; just that mine hasn't end yet...
confused_face.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #2,038 of 3,931
The quote Null gave me was cheaper, AND with a enyo cable, as compared to Stereo's recommended Westone cable.

Quote:
Quote:

I just wish to point out: I did request for a quote from Stereo & even when I add in the price of my 2nd pair of earmold impressions (because of the whole re-work & UM "used up" my 1st pair of earmold impressions the 1st time round), Null Audio's quote (to me) is still cheaper.

This I agree. I emailed them a lot of enquiries, i.e. some are even about very cheap items like a $3 audio splitter, but their response (time) is quality.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #2,039 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The quote Null gave me was cheaper, AND with a enyo cable, as compared to Stereo's recommended Westone cable.

But i think its still worth it to pay more for better service and faster process.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #2,040 of 3,931
Just got the notification my package was delivered to UM. Hopefully now I'll be able to stand having my SE530's in my ears for longer than 45 minutes without my ears feeling like they are going to fall off from the pain. I was surprised with all the people here saying their shipments got held up for so long. I shipped mine normal USPS and it got there in 10 days. It took 5 days to get to PRC and spent 5 days in customs, then left. I'm really excited and I hope they fit alright, cause I want to use them for my trip back to my parents for Christmas (the flight is like 8 hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back