Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #2,042 of 3,931
I totally agree. The guy from null audio can't even type out proper english..

That said, i no longer have any intentions of remolding my 'phones. The UM3X are comfortable enough as they are, and i'll save up for true customs someday.

Quote:

But i think its still worth it to pay more for better service and faster process.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2,043 of 3,931
@Ralliart, Looking at your ear, I would have been impossible for Alien Ear to make the monitor flush with your ears unless the socket was at an outward angle away from your ear, or you have a non-removable wire with your C3's. If they were removable, then it would have been the former, and it would have been at an angle. You might have not suffered from comfort because of the shape of your ear that worked out with the socket at angle, but that doesn't work for everyone, and will cause discomfort. Alien Ear I guess just decided to take that risk.

Now that you sent it back to UM, what UM is probably doing is the same thing Alien Ear did, put the socket at an angle, which is in comfort inferior. There is one other way to fix this problem, and that is to have the socket attached to the faceplate instead of the shell. My ES3X's are like this, but the problem is then your faceplate won't be flat, and you'll have an edge on the faceplate, which means no artwork. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #2,044 of 3,931
I'll report to say that Unique Melody Australia is having no issues with custom's clearances and UMLab for the time being.

As a precaution, follow Maodi's advice, you should be fine.  We use an International Courier for our items, so potentially choosing a more expensive shipping option may yield beneficial for those of you whom are thinking about ordering.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2,046 of 3,931

Quote:
Shipped mine out via Canada Post. Marked Ear Impressions and Headphones (for Repair) on the customs slip. Hope they don't get stuck in customs.

UM was telling the turnaround time was 25 days when I did my remold about 2 months ago.  It took less than 25 days for the actual remold and it was never in customs for more than 3 days.  I only reported $50 value though like I usually do.  I usually report low value but get tracking to make sure I know where my item is and that it's not lost.  UM marked it as $25 value when they sent it back to me.  I'm in Canada by the way.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2,047 of 3,931

Quote:
I was under the impression that UM has always been super slow. Delays from shipping and customs are part of that, of course. The QC has always been high, though.

The idea of waiting months and month only to have to send them back for a refit and wait months and months is something I'd like to avoid.

On the other hand, Livewires or whatever they are called now manage to be super slow without international shipping or sterling quality control, so...

They actually made mine in about a week.  I did rush them twice though.  The rest of the 2 weeks were spent on shipping back and forth.  I didn't have much of a problem with them being slow other than not receiving email replies for a little while and not knowing if my jh13s had safely arrived or not but when they emailed back it was already halfway done in the lab.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #2,048 of 3,931
Well, here's my update. It doesn't make good reading. If it's not resolved properly I am going to be mightily angry.

23rd September - I send my JH13s, purchased from Spudharris on head-fi, to Unique Melody with my ear impressions, all safely and securely packaged. Correct address. Royal Mail don't do full length tracking to China so I had to insure it.

On 30th September, Sam from Unique Melody, after me asking him if they'd arrived and could I change the faces to white, replied saying "your custom are progressing now!".

So I relaxed and thought all was well.

Then on 5th November, in the absence of any other news from UM, I wrote a chaser email.

This time, 6th November, Sam replies saying he needs the express tracking number. Oh dear, I'm thinking.

So I reply asking why, given that he'd said on 30th September that they were progressing.

I get a reply on 7th November saying "Is wrong, you package havenot arrived yet, so we need check this package now".

So here I am today, sending the details of my package and just crossing  my fingers. If it doesn't arrive, I'll make a claim on the insurance with the package (capped at £250 - a loss but an expensive lesson learned I guess),

But here's the thing - this exact same thing happened last time round. I sent my nephew's monitors over, they said all was hunky dory, then a few weeks later when pressed on it, they claimed no knowledge of the package, with heart failure on my part.

This company's logistics, tracking, and customer service are a serious concern. If this isn't resolved properly, I will be happily shouting from the rooftops that NOBODY should be using their service, no matter how good the quality of their workmanship.

Enormously disappointed with these people. Words can barely express how disappointed and angry I feel at the moment.

Anyway, enough - if it doesn't get resolved I'm going straight to JH next time.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2,049 of 3,931
Just an update: JH13s to be remolded, got stuck in customs 'cause I listed their value as $600.
Looks like they were stuck in customs for 2 1/2 weeks. I got a little worried, as there were some communication problems - first they thought they had them, then they didn't, but they assured me they wouldn't get lost.  A week later they had them, said they were working on them now - then 3 days later, I had an email saying they were packed up and headed back to me.  So hopefully they'll arrive this week.  All told, less than 6 weeks.  So I'm happy so far - now let's see how they look and sound!

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2,050 of 3,931

Quote:
Well, here's my update. It doesn't make good reading. If it's not resolved properly I am going to be mightily angry.

23rd September - I send my JH13s, purchased from Spudharris on head-fi, to Unique Melody with my ear impressions, all safely and securely packaged. Correct address. Royal Mail don't do full length tracking to China so I had to insure it.

On 30th September, Sam from Unique Melody, after me asking him if they'd arrived and could I change the faces to white, replied saying "your custom are progressing now!".

Then on 5th November, in the absence of any other news from UM, I wrote a chaser email.

This time, 6th November, Sam replies saying he needs the express tracking number. Oh dear, I'm thinking.

So I reply asking why, given that he'd said on 30th September that they were progressing.

I get a reply on 7th November saying "Is wrong, you package havenot arrived yet, so we need check this package now".

So here I am today, sending the details of my package and just crossing  my fingers. If it doesn't arrive, I'll make a claim on the insurance with the package (capped at £250 - a loss but an expensive lesson learned I guess),

But here's the thing - this exact same thing happened last time round. I sent my nephew's monitors over, they said all was hunky dory, then a few weeks later when pressed on it, they claimed no knowledge of the package, with heart failure on my part.

This company's logistics, tracking, and customer service are a serious concern. If this isn't resolved properly, I will be happily shouting from the rooftops that NOBODY should be using their service, no matter how good the quality of their workmanship.

Enormously disappointed with these people. Words can barely express how disappointed and angry I feel at the moment.

Anyway, enough - if it doesn't get resolved I'm going straight to JH next time.

Not good to hear mate. Best of luck with getting a positive resolution.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #2,051 of 3,931

Quote:
The quote Null gave me was cheaper, AND with a enyo cable, as compared to Stereo's recommended Westone cable.

The quote NA gave me was cheaper, & included a Lune cable, as compared to Stereo's recommended Westone cable; but still...

Quote:
But i think its still worth it to pay more for better service and faster process.

On hindsight, totally agreed
redface.gif

Quote:
...I was surprised with all the people here saying their shipments got held up for so long. I shipped mine normal USPS and it got there in 10 days. It took 5 days to get to PRC and spent 5 days in customs, then left...

I think a lot of factors are causing delays (or not), i.e. when the package was sent out, was it done via a middlemen or to UM directly, etc. Perhaps your delivery just missed ("escaped") the China order customs delay?

Quote:
@Ralliart, Looking at your ear, I would have been impossible for Alien Ear to make the monitor flush with your ears unless the socket was at an outward angle away from your ear, or you have a non-removable wire with your C3's. If they were removable, then it would have been the former, and it would have been at an angle. You might have not suffered from comfort because of the shape of your ear that worked out with the socket at angle, but that doesn't work for everyone, and will cause discomfort... 

Actually, the C3 were from the range of Alien Ear customs that has removable cabling (& I choose this specific model partially for this feature; as I wish to swap cables). Unfortunately, I still can't find photos of me wearing my old pair of C3 before they were sent to NA/UM, so I can't really judge the "socket at an outward angle" attribute.

As a matter of fact, even if they (the sockets) were really at an outward angle, I did not suffer any discomfort, because as you said, "it worked out with the shape of my ears". To put it bluntly: I don't really care if it "will not work out for everyone, & will cause (their) discomfort", because I would very much prefer my custom to work out for my comfort.

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...Alien Ear I guess just decided to take that risk...

May I know if you are referring to Alien Ears risking the fact that my customs may not work out for everyone's comfort by making the socket outward facing to cope with comfort for the shape of my ears? Or what other risks are you referring to, if I may ask?

Quote:
MaoDi said:

Now that you sent it back to UM, what UM is probably doing is the same thing Alien Ear did, put the socket at an angle, which is in comfort inferior...

May I know why is it "inferior, in terms of comfort" to have the socket facing outward at an angle?

Quote:
MaoDi said:

...There is one other way to fix this problem, and that is to have the socket attached to the faceplate instead of the shell. My ES3X's are like this, but the problem is then your faceplate won't be flat, and you'll have an edge on the faceplate, which means no artwork.

Now that you've mentioned it, the cable sockets on my C3 were indeed on the faceplates (& not the main body-shell)! Coincidentally, Alien Ears managed to get the faceplate flat (able to be placed faceplate down on a table without rocking back & forth) & then some artwork on the faceplate. I must have been quite lucky then.

I found some old photos. From left to right, they are: 2 photos showing the sockets were on the faceplate's "edge" (the brightness & colours of the photo was tweaked to highlight the position of the sockets; the real image isn't that poor in image quality); one photo showing more clearly, the position of the socket on the faceplate (please ignore the chipped-off cable housing); & one old photo showing the external measurement of the custom, in case anyone is wondering about the size of my outer ear.

Anyway, I'm not defending Alien Ears (after all, my pair of C3 cracked & the artwork didn't "age gracefully", i.e. suffered easily from wear and tear); but the fact is, without MaoDi mentioning it, I wouldn't have realized AE overcame quite the few technical challenges (for my ears) UM is demonstrating to me currently
dt880smile.png

Quote:
...Sam not replying to emails as expected.

So it seems even for some that ordered from UM directly, there are a few lapses in communications. I suppose this, coupled with the lapses in communications from NA, compounded into a very frustrating customer experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhendo 

...On 30th September, Sam from Unique Melody, after me asking him if they'd arrived and could I change the faces to white, replied saying "your custom are progressing now!".

But here's the thing - this exact same thing happened last time round. I sent my nephew's monitors over, they said all was hunky dory, then a few weeks later when pressed on it, they claimed no knowledge of the package, with heart failure on my part...

That sounds horrible; they (whichever company) really shouldn't give false information, i.e. if it hasn't arrive, just say it hasn't arrive.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #2,052 of 3,931
so i got a package today opened it up and it contained these lovely things in it so far they feel great and sound great too i love them it was so hard to take them out to take these pics

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #2,054 of 3,931
@Raillart, As you can see in the photo, the socket is coming out of the faceplate. But they've done it wrong. If it were to come out of the faceplate, there needs to be extra material on top of the socket so the socket doesn't risk being ripped or snapped right out of the faceplate. Poor quality construction there already. Less than 1mm of acrylic will without a doubt, made by whatever company hold the socket in place with great durability. Looks like your socket's are hardly angling outward, lucky for yourself that it worked out. It inferior because if the socket is angled outwards, the memory wire has to angle back inwards and cross a diagonal path with the top of your ear rather than behind, and parallel to your ear. The risk i said they were taking was for the monitor not to fit comfortably, or properly however like mentioned it seems you lucked out. 

@royhedo by the sounds of it, doesn't seem like it's UM's fault. Might have been their fault for saying they have the package, but they might have gotten your package mixed up. However, China customs seems to be extremely strict about packages lately, not sure why. But seems like it's the shipping company/ post office of China that is dealing with your package. I wouldn't blame it on a company, this same thing could happen in the states (has to me) .However I hope all works out for you. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2,055 of 3,931
Mine will be the exact same color with yours. And it is in process at the moment at UM. What a chance..

Quote:
so i got a package today opened it up and it contained these lovely things in it so far they feel great and sound great too i love them it was so hard to take them out to take these pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back