Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3,751 of 3,931
Might be hard to do a head-to-head with the Westone 3 as you've now reshelled them. But I wonder how much of the Westone 3's bass is because of the enclosure of it's driver. My UM3X reshell increased the bass response - it's not quite has much as the Westone 3 level of bass, but significantly louder bass than the standard UM3X. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #3,752 of 3,931
  Might be hard to do a head-to-head with the Westone 3 as you've now reshelled them. But I wonder how much of the Westone 3's bass is because of the enclosure of it's driver. My UM3X reshell increased the bass response - it's not quite has much as the Westone 3 level of bass, but significantly louder bass than the standard UM3X.

Yeah it's kind of hard to remember how the bass response was in the W3's before reshelling...given it was 15 weeks ago that I last listened to them haha. My situation may be slightly different also, as a result of the extra drivers and different crossover, but the overall sound of my W3x6's is extremely well balanced.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think I may need to send the right side IEM back for refit :frowning2: It doesn't fit as tight as the left ear and if I push on it it will break seal a lot easier than the left. Just not sure if I can be bothered waiting another 4 months for a refit though...

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,753 of 3,931
^ You might wanna try to coat a portion of the canal (past the 1st bend) with some clear nail polish. Be careful that some nail polish might cause irritant and it will get itchy once inside your ears, and if you ever decide to walk down this route apply just a tiny bit on the shell first to see if you can peel it off later. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,754 of 3,931
  ^ You might wanna try to coat a portion of the canal (past the 1st bend) with some clear nail polish. Be careful that some nail polish might cause irritant and it will get itchy once inside your ears, and if you ever decide to walk down this route apply just a tiny bit on the shell first to see if you can peel it off later.

Thanks for the tip. I might see how I feel about it in a few days and email UMAus to see what they say, and if the turnaround time for refits is going to be as bad as the initial build then I'll probably go down this road. If it would take another 15 weeks I wouldn't get them back until January
frown.gif

Is there anyone who has adjusted their CIEMs themselves by adding nail polish or some other form of clear acrylic and have any feedback on it?

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,755 of 3,931
Someone from the old Heir thread tried it with great success, though I'm not sure if it destroyed the shiny look of the shell later coz you know how nail polish can be worn out over time. That's why I suggested to test this trick first with just a few drops to see whether the brand you're using could ruin the shell's lacquer. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3,761 of 3,931
Has anyone contacted UM Australia recently? I'm trying to get a reshell organised and I've even sent them back the form. Yet no word on whether they have received it or even process it. What's the normal turnaround time?

From reading head if it looks like people have had mixed experiences and they may be snowed under but if this is in an indication of ongoing support it doesn't bode well....

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,762 of 3,931
Snowed under. They are also sound technicians (monitor engineers) so it's coming up to their busy time of year.

Their website also indicates that they are also distributors for JH, Westone, 1964, Aurisonics, Futuresonics, ACS.... And that's just their customs brands list.

So I highly doubt that cheaper UM re-shells are high up on their priority list?

On the plus side, they are great guys, and are lovely to deal with. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,763 of 3,931
Hi

Does anyone gets a feedback from UM global about current processing time ?

I ask them twice but I did not get an answer.

It's actually indicated 16 weeks on the web site.

On the other hand UM UK still assert a 6 week turnaround time.

where is the truth ?

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3,764 of 3,931
Please read the past few pages of this thread.

Their lead times are 14 weeks plus (If they are quoting 16 weeks, I'd believe it.)

I believe UMGLOBAL is the actual lab in China, so I would believe them. (Someone correct me if that's wrong?)

My local rep told me "4-5 weeks" when really it was 14. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,765 of 3,931
  Please read the past few pages of this thread.

Their lead times are 14 weeks plus (If they are quoting 16 weeks, I'd believe it.)

I believe UMGLOBAL is the actual lab in China, so I would believe them. (Someone correct me if that's wrong?)

My local rep told me "4-5 weeks" when really it was 14. 

No. UM Global == UM Australia. The lab itself doesn't have an online presence. Several years ago, they had one (written in Chinese), but the website is now long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back