Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2,327 of 3,931
used to ... what happened?? the price nearly doubled. Im looking at $400 for a reshell which i might as well spend on a new IEM

what other companies are there that can do a cheaper reshell?

Quote:
MaoDi said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ Flipfire, Reshell used to cost $90. It is now around $160 including shipping. Artwork is $40 more, and if you buy the cable from Westone (which is among the cheapest), it's $35 or so. Mid Driver would be an additional $200 or so due to the cost of drivers, and work put into retuning the monitor. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,328 of 3,931
@Flipfire, the old $90 price tag didn't include shipping of $35 Fedex 2-day Express. Also mistake on my part, the new price for upgrading to 4 driver from a  3 is $279 including a reshell. So it's $279 plus the cable, and and artwork. I believe it's a $10 flat rate shipping now from Custom-Iem.com and UM Australia. So it's a little cheaper now. 

$400 seems steep, but $400 is at the base of Custom Monitor price. The price you're paying for is the labour and craftsmanship. A good example would be Westone. The UM3X is identical to the ES3X minus the dual bores, the driver placement, and the custom outer shell. But it costs $850, rather than $379. $400 really isn't that much for a remold, adding a driver, retuning the monitor, cable, shipping, and artwork. The ES3X sounds THAT much better than the UM3X from just minor details.

Alien Ears does it's for $180, Fischer does it for $100 or so, but doesn't include shipping as well (lots of complaints from fellow Head-fiers as well). 1964 Ears does it for $169. There isn't a cheaper option out there. The modifying cost is what cost the most. Adding a driver in means ~$20 / ear in materials already, plus the labour costs. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #2,330 of 3,931
You can buy the cable from them. However, though I find they're cable better than Westones (same quality but lighter), it is nearly $60. My recommendation is, get the recessed socket, and then get UE's cable at $36 (the old cable, not the new one). They're new four cable braid is much nicer than the three that you get from Westone, UM, or JH. However if you're getting the flush socket, then i would but the cable from Westone. Same yourself $25 or so. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #2,332 of 3,931
Recessed sockets has the plug of the cable physically in the monitor, below is an example (note that the shape of the plug will be different for UM/UE's)

Recessed Socket

Where this is a non-recessed socket, where the plug is completely outside the monitor.

Non-Recessed Socket

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #2,334 of 3,931

Quote:
You can buy the cable from them. However, though I find they're cable better than Westones (same quality but lighter), it is nearly $60. My recommendation is, get the recessed socket, and then get UE's cable at $36 (the old cable, not the new one). They're new four cable braid is much nicer than the three that you get from Westone, UM, or JH. However if you're getting the flush socket, then i would but the cable from Westone. Same yourself $25 or so. 

MaoDi you are talking about the second one  http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/custom-accessories ?

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #2,335 of 3,931
The second or fourth is what i'm talking about, just depends on what length you want. The four cable braid is just lovely, there isn't anything else I could say. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2,336 of 3,931
Ive decided to ship off my TF10's to UM today to get a reshell + 1 mid driver done. Total cost was $330AU minus the cable. I went with the non recessed socket so i can use different cables.

Its gonna be a while till i get them back due to Chinese New Year over there.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,337 of 3,931

Quote:
Ive decided to ship off my TF10's to UM today to get a reshell + 1 mid driver done. Total cost was $330AU minus the cable. I went with the non recessed socket so i can use different cables.

Its gonna be a while till i get them back due to Chinese New Year over there.

I would have gone with the recessed socket just for the heck of spiting 1964 ears...$50 for a recessed socket...are you MAD! 0-O 

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,339 of 3,931
Only if you believe that cables improve the sound. If you plan on buying an ES cable and such I would stick with whatever you want better whether recessed or not.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,340 of 3,931

Quote:
The guy from UM i spoke to said i have more aftermarket cable choices with a non recessed/flat socket. Should i change my order?

Quote:
I would have gone with the recessed socket just for the heck of spiting 1964 ears...$50 for a recessed socket...are you MAD! 0-O 

nonono..non recessed is the way go if you want more aftermarket choices, I just let my anger get in the way of many things...sorry, continue with your original plan, but here's the full story.. I bought a set of 1964 t's and i didn't really care at the time whether or not the socket was recessed until...they put up a new website and recessed sockets would cost $50 extra....WTH..$50 for a recessed socket, when UM and others have it as a default selection or free of charge.also, i'm a real sucker for freebies...and if i had gotten the recessed socket free of charge, then i would be saving/earning $50 right? i know, not very logical because honestly I don't even need the option..but it's...FREE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back