Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,341 of 3,931
Then deal with it. If you didn't care in the first place then why should it matter? I ordered my 1964-T and asked about recessed option and they asked if I wanted it and I did not and now it costs $50 more. I don't feel sighted at all and it's not really a big deal. My next custom may be recessed just to see the difference however.

Curious but are there any sound impressions of the UM3X plus 3 drivers? I'm considering getting something similar to that but want to know how it sounds.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,342 of 3,931
Quote:
Only if you believe that cables improve the sound. If you plan on buying an ES cable and such I would stick with whatever you want better whether recessed or not.

Im actually more worried about cable management than SQ, ive had really annoying cables in the past.

Quote:
nonono..non recessed is the way go if you want more aftermarket choices, I just let my anger get in the way of many things...sorry, continue with your original plan, but here's the full story.. I bought a set of 1964 t's and i didn't really care at the time whether or not the socket was recessed until...they put up a new website and recessed sockets would cost $50 extra....WTH..$50 for a recessed socket, when UM and others have it as a default selection or free of charge.also, i'm a real sucker for freebies...and if i had gotten the recessed socket free of charge, then i would be saving/earning $50 right? i know, not very logical because honestly I don't even need the option..but it's...FREE

lol i see, $50 thats a kick in the nuts.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,343 of 3,931

Quote:
Then deal with it. If you didn't care in the first place then why should it matter? I ordered my 1964-T and asked about recessed option and they asked if I wanted it and I did not and now it costs $50 more. I don't feel sighted at all and it's not really a big deal. My next custom may be recessed just to see the difference however.

Curious but are there any sound impressions of the UM3X plus 3 drivers? I'm considering getting something similar to that but want to know how it sounds.

there is hardly a difference, it might look a little cleaner up close but that's about it. actually, now that i think of it, I think the recessed socket is mainly directed towards musicians/stage performers so they might be trying to milk them there...oh well, i feel happier about all this now :p 

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,344 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

there is hardly a difference, it might look a little cleaner up close but that's about it. actually, now that i think of it, I think the recessed socket is mainly directed towards musicians/stage performers so they might be trying to milk them there...oh well, i feel happier about all this now :p 

I took a look at the custom-iem website and realized that once 1964 Ears reverts to normal pricing, the 1964-Q will be more expensive than UM Mage if I choose any of the options (custom color/artwork/recessed socket). But for now, it will only be more expensive if you take up all three options, so it is not really that bad. Just think about JH11 and you should feel better :p

As for recessed socket, I took up the option as it "looks" a bit more durable. UM mentioned more third-party cables can be used for flat sockets because either the makers used a different connectors from those on ES2 or have connector guards around them which prevent them from inserting into the sockets. I have seen more of the latter on China-made custom cables.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #2,345 of 3,931

Quote:
madwolf, how does it sound?

I do not have enough time with this at yet.  custom here will refer to my re shelled UM3X plus 3 drivers.   

My initial taught and impression would be it is vastly different between my custom and UM3X.
I do not have a good seal when I was using the UM3X and that is the main reason why I went the custom route. Different tip sounds a bit different. 

The spectrum did open up significantly at both the higher end and the lower end, imaging is much wider with the custom as well on the UM3X imagining was very restricted.
Over the whole spectrum it is pretty flat except maybe a blip at the higher end. The UM3X feels flatter and more neutral. 
The custom open up the sound stage.  

The UM3X is much warmer and a bit veil (at the high end) compared to my new custom. The custom however is brighter and there are some sibilance. With the UM3X I have yet to hear any sibilance. 

I felt the custom to be less sensitive, as the volume setting I use now is higher compared to when I was using the UM3X.  

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,347 of 3,931

Quote:
I noticed that some customs stick out and cover a much bigger portion of the outer ear than others. Can i request that it be made as small as possible?

Every effort is made to make your IEM as flush as possible with your outer ear, without compromising the quality of the fitment minimising the chances of a remould being required.  Based on the information supplied by the ear impression, UM has a track record of usually getting flushness spot on.

There will always be the odd occasion where a client is unhappy with the flushness of their monitors, in which case we will be able to personally assess the fit using photos/in person.

One thing to note is that if you have a very shallow outer ear, the incorporation of a recessed socket may result in a slightly 'fatter' IEM.  Whereby a recessed socket significantly affects the size of the IEM, UM will default to a flat socket unless otherwise requested.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2,349 of 3,931

Excellent, thats good to hear.

Is that you Matt? Have you received the package yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMelodyAus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every effort is made to make your IEM as flush as possible with your outer ear, without compromising the quality of the fitment minimising the chances of a remould being required.  Based on the information supplied by the ear impression, UM has a track record of usually getting flushness spot on.

There will always be the odd occasion where a client is unhappy with the flushness of their monitors, in which case we will be able to personally assess the fit using photos/in person.

One thing to note is that if you have a very shallow outer ear, the incorporation of a recessed socket may result in a slightly 'fatter' IEM.  Whereby a recessed socket significantly affects the size of the IEM, UM will default to a flat socket unless otherwise requested.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,350 of 3,931
Has anyone tried to contact Stephen via email at stephenguo@live.com recently? I recieved a message, that email was not delivered (Mailbox unavailable.)...
Hope everythings allright cause I'm waiting for my Miracles...

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,353 of 3,931
Excellent :) . Do you make a reverse copy of my impressions in case i want to order again or do i need to send you a new one every order?

Also whats a good cable to match the TF10 reshell for under $100? I assume i wont be able to use the stock TF10 cable anymore (not that i want too).

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,354 of 3,931
Well when i got my remolded Triple.Fi 10 Pro's (plus additional driver) i bought a Westone ES3 cable and i thought it was pretty decent, although the wire did start to rust after a while (turns green but doesn't affect sound quality), and also the plastic bit that goes around your ears is a teeny bit short. Read from MaoDi's review of the UM Miracle that UM started making their own cables and they're pretty decent too, i think you should give that a try :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2,355 of 3,931
The UM Cable is a great cable, especially since they have recessed sockets now and they fit perfectly. But in terms of quality, UE's new four braid cable is even better. I would suggest going for that if you are getting recessed sockets. If not, you could definitely get that too but the plug is a little bettter. SO the Westone Cable would look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back