Unique Melody Miracle Review & Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,462 of 3,153
Maguire, you have asked me how the 1plus2 compare with the UM Miracle and here it is:

vs

Comparisons were done with the silver/gold cable on the 1plus2 and the Toxic Cables Silver Poison that I borrowed from Maguire on the miracle. 

Bass is, to me, undoubtedly better on the 1plus2. It has such impact, such speed and amazing clarity. Hits much harder than the miracle and after listening to it, the miracle sound quite bass light and just lacking somehow. 

Midrange is more recessed than the Miracles and as a result, I have to EQ them up a few DB. With no EQ, vocals seem a bit distant and whilst the miracle's mids are more upfront. HOWEVER, after EQ, the mids of the 1plus2 is in a completely different league, having more clarity and detail. Vocal separation is very close, but I think that the 1plus2 just edges out. 

Treble is very interesting indeed. The 1plus2 has a more aggressive, sparklier treble and as a result can cause some fatigue, but not for me. I absolutely love the treble with it's slightly longer cymbal decay. There is also more overall detail. 

As for detail, it's an easy win for the 1plus2. Sometimes when I'm listening to it, I turn to the left or right, to see that there is nothing there. I've been hearing the microdetails that I didn't hear on the miracle.

One thing that I feel the miracle is slightly better is overall separation. There is such little difference, that you probably wouldn't know unless you were specifically listening to it. And also, the isolation of the miracle is obviously much better since the 1plus2 is open. 

In terms of build quality, the miracle is better and just feels more solid in your hand, but the build of the 1plus2 is very good as well. 

Overall, the 1plus2 is better for me, but if I had to pick one, it would be the miracle because the 1plus2 has very little isolation. The sound of the 1plus2 is just incredible though! 

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,463 of 3,153
Hey @tang0188, just wondering if you could tell me when you ordered yours? I've been patiently waiting for my miracles for about 9 weeks now

I ordered during the 2nd week of September. Just to check, I noticed that some people do put ear tips on their UM Miracle, is it necessary for me since it does have a perfect fit without them?

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,465 of 3,153
I ordered during the 2nd week of September. Just to check, I noticed that some people do put ear tips on their UM Miracle, is it necessary for me since it does have a perfect fit without them?
That's because mine is a universal.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #2,468 of 3,153
  I was quite baffled why a triple flange was included in the package as well hence my question haha.

I think those are sound attenuating ear plugs. For loud places. I got them too, but there's no way they'd fit on anything on my miracles

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #2,470 of 3,153
Moving forward, with my current rig set up as appended below:

iPhone 5S with 256 AAC songs - ADL X1 - UM Miracle with Beats Vermilion cable

Should I actually invest in a DX100, but I really hate to convert all my songs to lostless versions as Japanese songs are really hard for me to buy (I can only get it through Japan iTunes), or should I get myself a CL 720 Theorem and sell off my ADL X1 for better SQ?

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,471 of 3,153
  Moving forward, with my current rig set up as appended below:

iPhone 5S with 256 AAC songs - ADL X1 - UM Miracle with Beats Vermilion cable

Should I actually invest in a DX100, but I really hate to convert all my songs to lostless versions as Japanese songs are really hard for me to buy (I can only get it through Japan iTunes), or should I get myself a CL 720 Theorem and sell off my ADL X1 for better SQ?

For a one box solution, you could seriously consider the DX100/HDP R10, AK120 or HM 901.

I got my DX100 second hand for SGD600 with 9 months warranty, search the forums and you will realize that many people out there are trying to sell off their DX100 due to minimal usage or because it's not portable at all. Battery life and UI can be a pain in the ass, mine lasts about 5-6 hours with flac. You could also consider the HDP-R10, the modified version of the DX100 with improved battery life to 8 hours. Word is that the soundstage increases by a bit as well, I'm not too sure about this as I do not have one. If you do get the HDP-R10, try getting one from japan Amazon. Last I saw, it was selling at 69,000 yen, much cheaper than US Amazon. Do the conversion, it should cost you about sgd1000 inclusive shipping.

People have recommended the HM901 too, I've never tried one but it looks like a player built from the 80s which I'm not really fond of. The AK120 offers dual Wolfson DAC and has great UI as compared to the rest of the aforementioned players. Too bad it's way too pricey, if you don't mind the price, I'd say why not go for it.

I read that the Miracle works best with DAPs with low impedance output, preferably below 16 Ohms, 3-4 Ohms would be good. The players I mentioned are one-box solutions for you.

Moving down the tier, you could consider the Colorly C4 for a fun sounding signature. It's extremely bulky and heavy though, looks like an ancient fossil in your hands. It pairs up with the Miracle quite nicely. Can head down to Jaben to try it out.

You could give the DX50 a shot too, I auditioned my miracle with the dx50 and it was pretty good. You could head to E1 at Fareast to audition the DX50. UI is a bitch now but I believe iBasso is only going to continue improving the firmware, DX50 is like a caged beast.

Lowest I'd go is the Cowon J3, which is my favourite DAP due to it's crazy battery life which can last me an entire week! Extremely portable as well, SQ isn't too bad but pales in comparison to the DX50 by about 30%. Output impedance is 16 Ohms according to my research which is just right for the miracle.

Not sure if you like the Fiio x3 but I'm not particularly fond of it, too dark sounding for my own liking. People on hardwarezone and vr forums are lowballing each other to sell the X3 ever since the DX50 came out. Size is only limited to 8gb internal, not too friendly for keeping your flac files.

Good luck in your choice, hope your wallet doesn't burn too badly!

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,472 of 3,153
  For a one box solution, you could seriously consider the DX100/HDP R10, AK120 or HM 901.

I got my DX100 second hand for SGD600 with 9 months warranty, search the forums and you will realize that many people out there are trying to sell off their DX100 due to minimal usage or because it's not portable at all. Battery life and UI can be a pain in the ass, mine lasts about 5-6 hours with flac. You could also consider the HDP-R10, the modified version of the DX100 with improved battery life to 8 hours. Word is that the soundstage increases by a bit as well, I'm not too sure about this as I do not have one. If you do get the HDP-R10, try getting one from japan Amazon. Last I saw, it was selling at 69,000 yen, much cheaper than US Amazon. Do the conversion, it should cost you about sgd1000 inclusive shipping.

People have recommended the HM901 too, I've never tried one but it looks like a player built from the 80s which I'm not really fond of. The AK120 offers dual Wolfson DAC and has great UI as compared to the rest of the aforementioned players. Too bad it's way too pricey, if you don't mind the price, I'd say why not go for it.

I read that the Miracle works best with DAPs with low impedance output, preferably below 16 Ohms, 3-4 Ohms would be good. The players I mentioned are one-box solutions for you.

Moving down the tier, you could consider the Colorly C4 for a fun sounding signature. It's extremely bulky and heavy though, looks like an ancient fossil in your hands. It pairs up with the Miracle quite nicely. Can head down to Jaben to try it out.

You could give the DX50 a shot too, I auditioned my miracle with the dx50 and it was pretty good. You could head to E1 at Fareast to audition the DX50. UI is a bitch now but I believe iBasso is only going to continue improving the firmware, DX50 is like a caged beast.

Lowest I'd go is the Cowon J3, which is my favourite DAP due to it's crazy battery life which can last me an entire week! Extremely portable as well, SQ isn't too bad but pales in comparison to the DX50 by about 30%. Output impedance is 16 Ohms according to my research which is just right for the miracle.

Not sure if you like the Fiio x3 but I'm not particularly fond of it, too dark sounding for my own liking. People on hardwarezone and vr forums are lowballing each other to sell the X3 ever since the DX50 came out. Size is only limited to 8gb internal, not too friendly for keeping your flac files.

Good luck in your choice, hope your wallet doesn't burn too badly!

Thanks for the reply, I did considered the DX100, but does the DX100 brings the best out of SQ for AAC quality music?

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2,473 of 3,153
  Thanks for the reply, I did considered the DX100, but does the DX100 brings the best out of SQ for AAC quality music?

If your AAC music is in high quality then yes, it does. I listen to my AAC, flac, aiff and wav files on the DX100 and they all sound good. 

Even some of my tracks in 128 bitrate had wide soundstage due to the DX100. It was puzzling how the DX100 could handle such tracks so efficiently. Everything was in low-gain too

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,475 of 3,153
I'd say keep a portable rig and one more for great SQ. I previously wanted to go for the DX50 but knowing how insatiable my appetite is, I knew that I'd eventually buy the best DAP for my miracle. That was the main reason why I chose the DX100 over the DX50. It's not portable though, so have a portable DAP and one more for your home/study usage =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back