Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jun 3, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #481 of 850
  Well this is number 4.

Question: what source you think pairs best with the Mentors?
I myself use the HM-901 and find this a very good match.

Currently using them balanced out with the AK240 and like it a lot.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #483 of 850
To this day I haven't had the opportunity to try any Ibasso.Only Cowon: S9 and J3, but they both can't play highquality audio files, but the Mentor pairs great with them. Though I'm very happy with my Hifiman I'm eyeballing at the AK240, but the price is holding me back. Heard some say it's overpriced in Europe the price is 2499,- also. They only replaced the $ for € making it $3400,- Same stunt they did with the $999,- for the Hifiman

Anyway, this is post no.5 and still not able to post a pic
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #484 of 850
There is right now Geek Wave DAP by Light Harmonics in IGG...But it will be due by January 2015 the latest. Its least expensive is $148 to $899 which is Fully Balanced, Dual-Mono with Femto Clocks. They will have a DAC/AMP with streaming capabilities called Geek Stream later.

See Link: Geek Wave: It's Not a Next-gen iPod. It's a No-compromise Portable Music Player 

I ordered the XD128 because I only have high praises with their Geek Out which I am pairing with my Mentors right now.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #485 of 850
  There is right now Geek Wave DAP by Light Harmonics in IGG...But it will be due by January 2015 the latest. Its least expensive is $148 to $899 which is Fully Balanced, Dual-Mono with Femto Clocks. They will have a DAC/AMP with streaming capabilities called Geek Stream later.

See Link: Geek Wave: It's Not a Next-gen iPod. It's a No-compromise Portable Music Player 

I ordered the XD128 because I only have high praises with their Geek Out which I am pairing with my Mentors right now.

Hey there,

I backed the Geek Out and the Wave S (original stream).
Sadly I havent got my Geek Out yet (hasnt even been sent, in fact last I asked they needed more chassis before they could even make it)..
Still waiting to hear what will be on offer in the way of the stream.

How does the Geek Out sound?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #486 of 850
Its like HRT Microstreamer in steroids..

There's so much detail, texture, effortless dynamics, natural bass, (etc. etc.). And with such Authority. Thought am fooled of using a desktop DAC/AMP. Imagine that plus the 10 driver Mentor...(^o^)

Very power hungry though (mine is GO1000) chews up my Note 3's battery. Need a battery pack for that. Or use it with your Laptop.

Hence my Geek Wave XD128 purchase. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #488 of 850
Hi,

How do you order the Geek Wave XD128? Can advise me?

Thanks!

It is still in development and LH is crowdsourcing for it. You can support their project and donate $899 now, and they will send you the wave xd128 as and when they finished building it. Tentatively Mar 2015. You probably know this but worth mentioning that as with any crowdsourcing project the products' specs, design, built, features, or delivery date are all subject to change with or without notice/consent of the supporters.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #489 of 850
Wow!!! Never saw or heard of it before. Thank you for bringing to the attention. The $899,- Wave XD looks like a great deal.

I'm not familiar with crowds funding, what happens if they don't make there Geek Wave, will you be left empty handed or will you get a full refund?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #491 of 850
Hi John!

Light Harmonic is respectable company (Da Vinci DAC). With their Geek line up, they have produced very high value products. There were some hiccups on Geek Out, but they were transparent about it and they are learning. They are willing to make a refund if you explicitly wanted to.  In Geek Wave, they have reached their funding goal so they will start producing it when final design specs are agreed. Its crowd-funded and crowd-designed. Yes, you have a voice to its final outcome.

Next in line is a DAC/AMP with Streaming capabilities called Geek Stream. 

Remember this is crowd-funding. Its not a purchase. They asked for funding for a project, and in return for the value invested, they will give you a 'perk' in return.

There might be delays (like most crowdfunded projects), but they deliver. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #492 of 850
Thanks M-i-c-k-e-y,

For your clear answer. I'm seriously thinking about signing up for the XD, but the idea for next project (streaming capabilities) I like even more. Do you have an idea when the funding starts, whats the average/expected time to finnish a project?  And would it be possible to upgrade the Wave XD to the streaming DAC/AMP?
Last but not least were did you got the information?

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #493 of 850
People in the Light Harmonic forum are asking for the Geek Stream launch before the Geek Wave ends that they could have a chance to evaluate. Maybe a week from now.

Funding project usually last 60 days.

Got the information form their forum. Because if you are a member (Geek Force), you could avail further discounts/perks ^_^. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #495 of 850
The same to me...but i know, from experience, it will be worth it. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back