Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jun 9, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #499 of 850
Hi John!

Ha ha ha I am also in a dilemma. 
confused.gif

The IEM Package will surely benefit our UM Mentors. 

With this perk they customize your Geek Wave to have a very low noise floor.  They will also add a high-precision DC offset amplifier and tune down the power to 100 mW (which will be plenty).  Finally, they will replace 8 key output bypass capacitors and will dial the bias current down.

I'm on a dilemma because with this perk, my Wave will be specialized/limited to IEMs. I want to to enjoy my other cans too. (Thus contemplating the THD Package.)

The XD128 is the BEST they offer (No worries). The IEM (or THD) Package is only for persons with special needs. Who wants to further tailor their Wave to have the best for their particular setup. No Pressure...

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #501 of 850
Has anyone heard the UM Mentors and the Heir Audio 8.a OR Noble 8C? I'm finding the bass to be a little lacking for the Mentors and wondering if the Heir or Noble offerings would improve in those aspects? I would also consider the JHA Roxannes but with their whole production/customer service fiasco, don't think I will be touching those...

Also, I'm not hating on the Mentors. The mids are really great but I think I'm a basshead at heart

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #502 of 850
I'm on my second pair of 8A's - there is something addictive about the bass out of that headphone... timbre, detail and texture - all brilliant....  Have spent most of the day listening to the 8A and my JH16FP though my new RSA Predator...  Unfortunately cannot compare to Mentor - but from what I have heard, the Mentor is a little thinner (albeit quicker) than the 8A - not the 16, though.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #504 of 850
Haven't heard the Mentor yet... there is a meeting LA later this summer - might be able to demo it then....

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #505 of 850
I'll probably be at the SF meet so I'll get to listen to the Nobles and JHAs there.

I want to write a review for the Mentors but I honestly don't have a great basis of comparison. I do know the separation is pretty good and the mids are crystal clear. I just wish the bass a little more emphasized

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #506 of 850
Tell us your impressions!

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #507 of 850
I have received my mentor just yesterday!

So far I like the mentor more than my se846, more space, a little bit farer vocal, as good bass as se846, excellent separation.

Just the seal in my right ear is not that good, I am strongly considering send it back for a refit, or use some nail polish to thicken the right side(?) overall, it is quite comfortable, excluding trials to make it seal in right ear, it really takes a special angle to make it seal, and i think the right side is not big enough that it loosen the seal quite easily

However, the 27.2ohm resistance make it a more power-hungry iem than my se846 obviously

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #508 of 850
Some say that Mentor has no bass...

The other day I was amazed of life like rumbles and LF noises coming from trucks passing picked up on a HD demo flute recording done in a church.

It's there, just presented naturally/life like, not emphasized / enhanced like on others.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #509 of 850
Some say that Mentor has no bass...

The other day I was amazed of life like rumbles and LF noises coming from trucks passing picked up on a HD demo flute recording done in a church.

It's there, just presented naturally/life like, not emphasized / enhanced like on others.

After some learning, I find that the seal is not perfect since I didn't wear them correctly.
I have made another pair of impression though just in case, now I wonder what I should do with them.

Let me post some pictures later, although I think they should have better craftsmanship than that they have shown on my mentor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back