Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #346 of 850
  I found you analogy to be a little bit over the top. Following that, is a pair of SE-5ways with its 5-way crossover definitely better than the Mentor with its "mere" 4-way crossover? 

Regarding the Roxanne, I guess the dark tuning is more of a matter of choice than capability. The JH13FP is known to have aggressive and bright treble, so it's not like JHA can't do bright tuning. And sorry to say this, but if you think that a dark (or warm) sound signature is associated with a lack of technical capability, most experienced head-fiers would say that you could not be more wrong.

Yeaah.. maybe its a stupid analogy, LOL
k701smile.gif
but i don't say dark sound signature associated with lack technical capability, that the dark sound is tuned to matter of taste.. even a $5 IEM can make bright sound right?.. 
But, i really3x sure that JH is capable tuning only 3 BA with 3 crossover to sound exactly like roxxane.. 
rolleyes.gif
 It just like people were hypnotised by the number of BA. Look again, its really not 12 single BA.. but it is 3 quad BA.
I don't say the SE5 sounds better than Roxanne.. But i'm sure the SE5 have more customised tuning by the 5 crossovers.. Great sound of IEM isn't just because it has 24BA. But how the maker produce preferable tune for most people.

but this is what i understand. please CMIIW..
The amount of BA describe the intensity, and the amount of cross over describe how much tuning the can be altered, right?
For 1 side of IEM, the roxanne use 4 cable.. 2 cable pass a potentiometer -> to the bass cross over -> to 1 quad bass BA.. Then 2 other cable go to directly to splitter --> each to Mid cross over -> to 1 quad mid BA.. & treble crossover --> to 1 quad treble BA. That is equal to 4-4-4
Thats why you can tune the bass level without interfere to mid & treble.. So, why don't JH don't just make them to each single BA? Its not that difficult making warm sound with 3 BA..

Mentor. For 1 side of IEM, the 2 cable is split to 4 crossover. Its settings is 1 quad Bass BA, 1 dual mid BA, 1 dual upper mid BA, & 1 dual treble BA, thats 4-2-2-2.
I'm sure an IEM maker can make better customisation with 5 single BA with 5 crossover..

Eventually to the sound, its not only quality that talks.. it also individual taste..
Like I said, maybe it is a stupid analogy.. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #347 of 850
i guess UM and JH saving the 5 crossover idea for the next flagship to make us buy it 100% :p and it will sound better ofc so people feels the jump again, like from the Miracle to Mentor, was really a quite noticeable difference that made the Miracle sounds flat.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #348 of 850
  i guess UM and JH saving the 5 crossover idea for the next flagship to make us buy it 100% :p and it will sound better ofc so people feels the jump again, like from the Miracle to Mentor, was really a quite noticeable difference that made the Miracle sounds flat.

agreed to that.. Mentor make miracle sounds flat.. 
beerchug.gif

i'd love to hear spiral ear SE5 demo.. we don't have it in Indonesia..

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #349 of 850
  agreed to that.. Mentor make miracle sounds flat.. 
beerchug.gif

i'd love to hear spiral ear SE5 demo.. we don't have it in Indonesia..

I seem to recall that when the Miracles first came out, there were many comparisons with the UERM.

I didn't spend much time with the Mentors but from what I seem to recall, it had a fuller sound than the Miracles. It was almost like the Miracles with its bass further extended.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #350 of 850
I seem to recall that when the Miracles first came out, there were many comparisons with the UERM.

I didn't spend much time with the Mentors but from what I seem to recall, it had a fuller sound than the Miracles. It was almost like the Miracles with its bass further extended.

I would say mentor= miracle + extra bass + upper mid

It really would be a retirement IEM for me.. It has my taste

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #352 of 850
I would say mentor= miracle + extra bass + upper mid

It really would be a retirement IEM for me.. It has my taste

I tried the universal version today and I had the same impression. Bass has more impact and the mids are more forward..it sounded incredibly balanced and had the smooth character of the Miracle. I thought it was pretty comfortable, too - getting a good seal was easy. There wasn't anything I didn't like about it, to be honest - it does everything extremely well imo.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #353 of 850
I tried the universal version today and I had the same impression. Bass has more impact and the mids are more forward..it sounded incredibly balanced and had the smooth character of the Miracle. I thought it was pretty comfortable, too - getting a good seal was easy. There wasn't anything I didn't like about it, to be honest - it does everything extremely well imo.

I agree 100%
It is a fantastic iem.
I particularly love that it excels at just about every genre I throw at it.
I just can't wait to get a decent source so I can see how they scale

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #355 of 850
My tips are all mixed up. Can someone please tell me are these the ones that came with the Universal version of the Mentor?

That looks like them yeah. The foamies are definitely the same as the ones from the mentor. The silicone ones look about right except is that a dual flange or just 2 sitting on each other because the mentor only come when singles.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #356 of 850
  My tips are all mixed up. Can someone please tell me are these the ones that came with the Universal version of the Mentor?

http://www.custom-iem.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118&products_id=678

Choose accessories and the tips are halfway down the page.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #359 of 850
looking forward to get my UM mentor..but i cant decide to custom or universal~...will custom make any sound different?

For sure the isolation will be better with customs. I'm sitting on a plane now and I'd say its the universal is 85% blocking.
The Miracles which were custom blocked 95+%. So yes the sound will be different.
Gotta go closing the doors. It's a great IEM.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #360 of 850
For sure the isolation will be better with customs. I'm sitting on a plane now and I'd say its the universal is 85% blocking.
The Miracles which were custom blocked 95+%. So yes the sound will be different.
Gotta go closing the doors. It's a great IEM.

thanks for the advise..i guess i will have to go dark this time..all my iem has been on universal fit....my current fav iem is w4r....but i have some fit issue with it and cannot get good sound isolation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back