Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #287 of 850

That's not their website. That's Stephen Guo's website, in America.  Great UM dealer, but not UM themselves.

Oops...didn't know that...but I got my Mentors through that site and apparently they ship pretty much anywhere.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #288 of 850
  Oops...didn't know that...but I got my Mentors through that site and apparently they ship pretty much anywhere.

Stephen is well-respected, as a UM dealer, for his attention to good customer service. It also helps that (AFAIK) he is bi-lingual, so he can accurately converse with English-speaking customers and Chinese-speaking UM Lab staff (as, I believe, can Matt, too, at UM Global - uniquemelody.co).

Although I have not personally purchased UM product through Stephen (I bought my Miracles during the Global Promotion, from the now defunct Amp City, who, at that time, were the UK dealers for UM, and who, unfortunately, had appalling customer service), I have repeatedly read good feedback towards Stephen, here on Head-fi. To be even-handed about this, Matt ('UM Global') took good care of me when I needed a reshell due to failure, so I have no particular allegiance to one over the other, either way.

I don't have my finger fully on the pulse, these days, WRT UM distribution, but I believe uniquemelody.co.uk is under the 'UM Global' dealership umbrella (which is overseen by Matt at uniquemelody.co, from Australia, and is also not actually UM labs themselves), whereas Stephen is independent from the 'UM Global' dealership umbrella, so I don't know what his policy is on serving UK customers.
Given that they are independent of one another, there's no direct 'political' conflict, but one would have to e-mail Stephen privately to find out what his stance is on serving UK customers.

I can understand the confusion about UM Lab China and the various intermediaries/dealers. Last I knew (and this may have now changed, but I don't think so), UM Lab China (who are the actual bona fide Unique Melody company) do not deal directly with any customers outside China. So you have 'UM Global', who are an independent network of distributors in various countries, and you also, independently, have Stephen and his international colleagues, forming another network of distributors, serving USA, Russia, etc. In either case, they are not actually joined to UM Lab China.

Confusing, huh?
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #289 of 850
Best amp i ever used with the Mentor you say? Pico Power!!! the mids and the treble really show its full potential and true color with this so epic amp!!! i am using the WA7 DAC as main cause its musical yet not warm, where the Treble is also the way i want it. 

so many DACs been tested no one did give me the mdis of this one, nor the treble, ofc the amp still pico power <3 

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #290 of 850
Got an Arrow 4T was thinking an upgrade to VorzAMP pure II. They have a 7 day trial period (Vorzüge).

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #291 of 850
Stephen is well-respected, as a UM dealer, for his attention to good customer service. It also helps that (AFAIK) he is bi-lingual, so he can accurately converse with English-speaking customers and Chinese-speaking UM Lab staff (as, I believe, can Matt, too, at UM Global - uniquemelody.co).

Although I have not personally purchased UM product through Stephen (I bought my Miracles during the Global Promotion, from the now defunct Amp City, who, at that time, were the UK dealers for UM, and who, unfortunately, had appalling customer service), I have repeatedly read good feedback towards Stephen, here on Head-fi. To be even-handed about this, Matt ('UM Global') took good care of me when I needed a reshell due to failure, so I have no particular allegiance to one over the other, either way.

I don't have my finger fully on the pulse, these days, WRT UM distribution, but I believe uniquemelody.co.uk is under the 'UM Global' dealership umbrella (which is overseen by Matt at uniquemelody.co, from Australia, and is also not actually UM labs themselves), whereas Stephen is independent from the 'UM Global' dealership umbrella, so I don't know what his policy is on serving UK customers.
Given that they are independent of one another, there's no direct 'political' conflict, but one would have to e-mail Stephen privately to find out what his stance is on serving UK customers.

I can understand the confusion about UM Lab China and the various intermediaries/dealers. Last I knew (and this may have now changed, but I don't think so), UM Lab China (who arethe actual bona fide Unique Melody company) do not deal directly with any customers outside China. So you have 'UM Global', who are an independent network of distributors in various countries, and you also, independently, have Stephen and his international colleagues, forming another network of distributors, serving USA, Russia, etc. In either case, they are not actually joined to UM Lab China.

Confusing, huh? :blink:    :D  
I just had an e-mail conversation with Stephen about this to confirm a discussion we had back in Dec at the e-earphone show.

Although he's not a UM employee, due to Stephen being UM's 1st international distributor, his relationship with UM is much more than just a mere distributor for UM.

It seems he works very closely with UM & his ideas contribute regularly to the design of UM's products to marketing. So it seems he's very much a part and involved in the business except he's just not under their payroll.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #292 of 850
I just had an e-mail conversation with Stephen about this to confirm a discussion we had back in Dec at the e-earphone show.

Although he's not a UM employee, due to Stephen being UM's 1st international distributor, his relationship with UM is much more than just a mere distributor for UM.

It seems he works very closely with UM & his ideas contribute regularly to the design of UM's products to marketing. So it seems he's very much a part and involved in the business except he's just not under their payroll.

This.  

Also his service is superb and quick to response to any enquiries regardless if it is order related or information on design or features.  When I pre-ordered my 3DD, he was also the first to inform me of the faceplate design changes necessitated by the changeable filter design before customers from dealers got informed.  UM labs can have difficulties fulfilling orders at times (or many times) but with Stephen at least we are not kept in the dark.  Highly recommended.  I have easy access to brick and mortar vendors locally but would opt for Stephen any time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #293 of 850
Anyone purchase a Mentor lately? New impressions?  Are there any full blown reviews anywhere?

Tonight I will use with the new AK240....I'm going to play with insertion depth and angle of the tips in my ears.
I sure hope to fall in love.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #294 of 850
Do Unique Melody Global has a habit of not answering messages (like Headstage)?

Sent two messages already for confirmation/ETA and nothing? I'm on my 5th week.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #295 of 850
  Do Unique Melody Global has a habit of not answering messages (like Headstage)?

Sent two messages already for confirmation/ETA and nothing? I'm on my 5th week.

i only deal directly with Stephen, never once in my life needed the other staffs, specially Australia's branch hehehe

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #296 of 850
Yep kind of regretted...oh well!

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #297 of 850
i bought 3 ciems directly from stephen and all of them was done in 3 weeks!! :3

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #298 of 850
I've bought from Stephen and UM Australia. I would say UM Australia were definitely not the best at communication and it did take around 4-6 weeks for my order to come. Stephen definitely has better communication although I can't really say about the turnaround since I bough a universal iem while with UM Aus I bought a custom.

Either way if I ever buy something from UM I will go through Stephen without hesitation.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #299 of 850
Best amp i ever used with the Mentor you say? Pico Power!!! the mids and the treble really show its full potential and true color with this so epic amp!!! i am using the WA7 DAC as main cause its musical yet not warm, where the Treble is also the way i want it. 

so many DACs been tested no one did give me the mdis of this one, nor the treble, ofc the amp still pico power <3 

Hi! What genre are you listening to when trying this combos? thanks

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #300 of 850
Hi! What genre are you listening to when trying this combos? thanks

J-pop only :p , also soon i am getting the Schit Bifrost Uper with usb gen 2 which , small upgrade, so no need to get WA7 as a dac, i will type about that combo later though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back