Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #256 of 850
Wow that's some quick decisions :wink: I would suggest give both a bit longer to determine which one is more suitable for you before selling one of them.

To my ears, Mentor has more linear and neutral bass and mid response than JH16 FP. Both has flaws in the treble region. For vocals, I think I would actually pick JH16 over mentor. But for anything else, I will reach out mentor first.

=) preceived vocal detail - mentor. 'how natural it sounds' probably jh. Lower mids amount - more on JH, upper mids amount - not too sure, probably more on mentor.
treble wise, i find mentor harsher more often. on jh there might be an area that occasionally flares up on some tracks but not often. eeeh I dunno which one I'd pick. I still think Mentor is a bit treble happy at times. I think JH probably sound more natural, and UM more 'tuned for detail for treble'.

bass - yep, out of the box without EQ um is definitely less enchanced and more natural - but I eq both JH and UM and UM seems to be faster and harder hitting with much less fine tuning and bleeds much less into the sound.

lol yep. pretty quick, but the two are my primary iems for the past 2 weeks or so.
also - separate mention to isolation - mentor universal = meh.

just closed the mentor fs and opened the jh one :D let's see if I crack and change my mind again :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/696358/unique-melody-mentor-debut-in-tokyo-e-earphone-festival/240#post_10238674 <--- oh yea forgot to rant about the nozzle length and tips slipping of the mentor nozzle :D

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #257 of 850
Wow that's some quick decisions :wink: I would suggest give both a bit longer to determine which one is more suitable for you before selling one of them.

To my ears, Mentor has more linear and neutral bass and mid response than JH16 FP. Both has flaws in the treble region. For vocals, I think I would actually pick JH16 over mentor. But for anything else, I will reach out mentor first.

i thought the mentor was a little weaker in the treble range, up until i changed my dap. now i dont have much to complain abt te mentor. i think it is worthwhile to experiment different players, cables and earphones, so u can fine tune and get the most of the mentor

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #262 of 850
@ Shini44

Are your carbon fiber face plates REAL carbon fiber or some textured decal then acrylic applied over?  I am a CF whore and will accept nothing but the real thing. 

Actually, I am deciding upon either the Mentor or the JH Roxanne.  It is hard to decide when I haven't heard either one.  I am coming from my now broken Westone W4's.  I really liked them but wished they had more "fun" in them. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #263 of 850
  @ Shini44

Are your carbon fiber face plates REAL carbon fiber or some textured decal then acrylic applied over?  I am a CF whore and will accept nothing but the real thing. 

Actually, I am deciding upon either the Mentor or the JH Roxanne.  It is hard to decide when I haven't heard either one.  I am coming from my now broken Westone W4's.  I really liked them but wished they had more "fun" in them. 

you should ask Stephen Gou about that :p 

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #265 of 850
His name is Guo, especially knowing that Gou can mean dog in Chinese
smily_headphones1.gif

ops O-o

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #266 of 850
Got Pico Slim today, the Mentor is too epic with it!! using the WA7 as a DAC here, really enjoyng the Treble/Mids/Bass , just perfect, all what i need now is a super DAC and i will call it a game!! <3

btw people don't use the Concero DAC with the Mentor else the Female Vocal will be way too dry, i even did try to change the amps yet the Mentor + Concero = u lost 650$ , the Concero is good with other headphones but CIEM wise i started to doubt it, seems like i will be getting Schit Gungnir. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #267 of 850
I use the Concero HP with the Mentor when I'm at home and I have no issues with it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #268 of 850
will the treble and bass wise fine but not the female vocal, another one who is selling the concero had same problem, both of us listen to J-pop so the female vocal sig is very important for us, and i was A/Bing all the week and i am 100% sure that the female vocal on Mentor + concero (not HD/HP) is way dryer than the WA7's DAC or maybe any other source too,

just wanted to point this out cause i don't want others to lose 650$ before they end up hating this point :p else i will totally tell them to get it in case they are fine with this point ^^ 

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #270 of 850
I thought the only difference was that the concero hp had an amp but I could be wrong. There's too many different variations to keep track of for me.

In any case I think I'm going to give inearz a call soon about getting these remolded but have to see if they can ship Fedex and use my jh13 instead of ear impressions as 1964 is double the price. I like them enough to make them into customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back