Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #226 of 850

my deities , it makes it sounds tipple great. such fidelity. very bass. much clear. amaze. wow.

lol. yeees. we must be missing a $1000 cable putting certain company owners' kids through college :D

what i was meant to say - can't hear much of a difference to the stock cable for my Qusp TWSPC cable .must be missing that gold.

Mmm.... I will listen and see if theres a diff between the stock and silver litz cable

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #227 of 850
spend abt an hr audit the Mentor comparing with TG334 stock cable both using meelec dual flange tips + DX50 firmware 1.2.5

The Mentor never wow me maybe i got too use to TG334 engaging sound.. however the Bass is the beast and the strongest point of the Mentor. Although TG334 has the prat but doesn't has the bass layers of the mentor.

I compare both AB using a female vocal track, eric capton, chinese orchestral tack and a track with drums .. this 4 tracks i am super familiar with..

Mentor is a superb IEM with a superb price compared to TG334. It has a lush mellow laid back type of sound. Mids has many many layers the bass has tonnes of layers. however the weakest point is the high... somehow the mid drown out the highs.. Soundstage wise TG334 wins although the Mentor is quite excellent too. TG334 the female vocal is in yr face and u can clearly picture the singer infront of u while the rest of the instruments nicely spaced out.. Mentor the female singer is like another 5 steps backward.

I will be very curious to hear the mentor wit 001 cable

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #228 of 850
Just had a short listening session with universal fit Mentor and hybrid 3X, compared with my 4 years old Mage. Expecting to finally found my replacement for Mage but dissappointed as Mentor quite different from my Mage sound signature (with Fiio silver cable). Mentor noticible harder to drive too as I need to increase my iPhone volume by nearly 50% to get almost equal loudness.

My quick 2 cents, Mentor sound like Mage with HUGE and TALL subwoofer but vocalist being positioned next to the subwoofer, inside as indoor venue.

Generally smooth sounding, great details and imho best bass layering and depth I heard so far. Punchy bass but still polite and controlled. Make Mage's low end sound like chicken fart. Lower mid to higher mid sound a bit distant compared to Mage but Mage's mid quite in your face. Mid are smooth but thick and warm (?) compared to Mage. High sounded rolled off compared to Mage, doesnt extend high probably due to warm sound signature. Soundstage wise, Mentor sounds like in big hall/auditorium while Mage sound like open air ground, if that ever make sense. Both wide soundstage but Mentor sound towards dark side while Mage on the bright side.

Therefore, I still stick to my Mage until UM comes out with something new :hint:

p.s: Apologies if my comparison doesnt help as I stop testing/playing with audio stuff for quite some time. Thanks to Stereo Singapore too, for the chance to test it out.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #229 of 850
Muppet face and VZ liked the k10, sparkly "fun" treble and nice warm mids, maybe i will give it a shot after all, waiting for Achl354's impressions ofc, for the Mentor VS K10 :p 

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #230 of 850
  Muppet face and VZ liked the k10, sparkly "fun" treble and nice warm mids, maybe i will give it a shot after all, waiting for Achl354's impressions ofc, for the Mentor VS K10 :p 

depends on what you are after. If you want great top/bottom extension, sparkly treble, analytic and wide soundstage, then 1plus2 is your best choice

I didnt spend too much time with the K10 today, i would have a much thorough impression if i can home loan the unit. I demo'ed the K10 with the Ak120 for total about 10-15 mins. Below is what i can remember abt the sound with the stock cable

It has a neutral'ish sound, slightly warm. Treble is ok, no sibilance, but i didnt feel the sparkly sensation. The K10 definitely is not lacking bass, it is certainly there in terms of the quantity, but qualitative-wise, it does not bleed into mids, but in terms of the depth, control and responsiveness, it is lacking.

The mids blends in nicely with both ends of the spectrum, not positioned/projected to far back nor front. The detailing seems to be there with reasonable layering. Overall the sound stage is moderate, kind of in a vertical oval shape, whereas the 1plus2 is a horizontal oval (with stock gold cable), and the mentor sounds more like a circled stage.

It is very tempting to get the K10, but personally, it is mostly due to the unique design (it just looks like a piece of art). Sonic-wise, i cant say much more about how good/bad it is as I didnt spend enuf time with it, and I didnt try it with any aftermarket cables. 

When it comes to sound preference, it's hard to make a generalized suggestion, personally, i wasnt too impressed with 334, but the scale can tip the other way depending on what type of music/player u use/listen, and not to mention how much coloration/MSG you like in your sound.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #231 of 850
"Treble is ok, no sibilance, but i didnt feel the sparkly sensation" hmm the Mentor Treble was good even with stock cable on 1st 15 min, i guess the K10 is about bass and mids then? or? was told the Treble sparkle but maybe its the stock cable as usual lol, maybe give it a 2nd round and try to get a cable? :3 would be nice and will save for both of us 1500$ lol, i mean we want answers xD

i am freaking located in Dubai so i can't demo like you guys :< always end up buying things so i A/B them.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #232 of 850
May I ask where in HK did you demo the K10?

Quote:
  depends on what you are after. If you want great top/bottom extension, sparkly treble, analytic and wide soundstage, then 1plus2 is your best choice

I didnt spend too much time with the K10 today, i would have a much thorough impression if i can home loan the unit. I demo'ed the K10 with the Ak120 for total about 10-15 mins. Below is what i can remember abt the sound with the stock cable

It has a neutral'ish sound, slightly warm. Treble is ok, no sibilance, but i didnt feel the sparkly sensation. The K10 definitely is not lacking bass, it is certainly there in terms of the quantity, but qualitative-wise, it does not bleed into mids, but in terms of the depth, control and responsiveness, it is lacking.

The mids blends in nicely with both ends of the spectrum, not positioned/projected to far back nor front. The detailing seems to be there with reasonable layering. Overall the sound stage is moderate, kind of in a vertical oval shape, whereas the 1plus2 is a horizontal oval (with stock gold cable), and the mentor sounds more like a circled stage.

It is very tempting to get the K10, but personally, it is mostly due to the unique design (it just looks like a piece of art). Sonic-wise, i cant say much more about how good/bad it is as I didnt spend enuf time with it, and I didnt try it with any aftermarket cables. 

When it comes to sound preference, it's hard to make a generalized suggestion, personally, i wasnt too impressed with 334, but the scale can tip the other way depending on what type of music/player u use/listen, and not to mention how much coloration/MSG you like in your sound.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #233 of 850

my deities , it makes it sounds tipple great. such fidelity. very bass. much clear. amaze. wow.

lol. yeees. we must be missing a $1000 cable putting certain company owners' kids through college
biggrin.gif

what i was meant to say - can't hear much of a difference to the stock cable for my Qusp TWSPC cable .must be missing that gold.

i just paired the Mentor with the stock cable (straight out of box, nice and fresh and brand spanking new)

The difference is pretty clear (not sure if due to how 'fresh' the stock cable is)
The Mentor sounded more coarse, layering also isn't as great. I can see how the sibilance can come as an issue, the top end seems to be less controlled. 

With the Silver Peptide litz cable, mids are smoother and more refined, wider and more layered soundstage. But the bass is slightly less punchy than stock. The resolution of mentor also seem to be better

With the silver/gold cable, the vocal is thicker, more forward feel, overall sounded more in-front-of you feel than the silver peptide, but airyness and soundstage isnt as impressive as the silver peptide.

I will have the silver/copper hybrid by this week, and the silver widow should be early feb, would be interesting to see how Mentor blends with the hybrid litz wire design.

So far i like the mentor with the silver peptide, if i wanted a analytic/ great top/bot extension, i got 1plus2, if i wanted a smoother sound, as if i can sitting in a hall with great layering and sense of airymess, then i have the mentor

so next step i could be looking for a significantly more colored sound for that additional fun factor

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #234 of 850
  "Treble is ok, no sibilance, but i didnt feel the sparkly sensation" hmm the Mentor Treble was good even with stock cable on 1st 15 min, i guess the K10 is about bass and mids then? or? was told the Treble sparkle but maybe its the stock cable as usual lol, maybe give it a 2nd round and try to get a cable? :3 would be nice and will save for both of us 1500$ lol, i mean we want answers xD

i am freaking located in Dubai so i can't demo like you guys :< always end up buying things so i A/B them.

i think the noble house sound is thick and warm sound, with great mid detailing. This is what a fellow local headfi'er commented about the Noble 6 as well. But definitely the treble didnt extend as well as the 1plus2. But like you said, i should really give it another try, but then it is not hard to miss that sparkly treble when you hear it, cos it will take you to the limit, almost over the edge but still under controlled.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #235 of 850
  i think the noble house sound is thick and warm sound, with great mid detailing. This is what a fellow local headfi'er commented about the Noble 6 as well. But definitely the treble didnt extend as well as the 1plus2. But like you said, i should really give it another try, but then it is not hard to miss that sparkly treble when you hear it, cos it will take you to the limit, almost over the edge but still under controlled.

but next time plz with after market cable XD that will make the Treble sparkle :3 thanks for saving the head-fiers man xD, the Mentor rocks btw ofc with after market cables, cause once we are used to the Epicness we just can't go back, the stock cable isn't as bad as others think its just once you rise the bar you don't wana go lower. 

hope to hear about Treble vs Treble on both later :3 with after market cables ofc, cause they make the CIEM sound just right. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #236 of 850
  but next time plz with after market cable XD that will make the Treble sparkle :3 thanks for saving the head-fiers man xD, the Mentor rocks btw ofc with after market cables, cause once we are used to the Epicness we just can't go back, the stock cable isn't as bad as others think its just once you rise the bar you don't wana go lower. 

hope to hear about Treble vs Treble on both later :3 with after market cables ofc, cause they make the CIEM sound just right. 

LOL, sure i will try. I think the K10 is more difficult to pair with cables/amps, but once matched, it should sound good; with more emotion/passion in the vocal and better punch in the bass.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #237 of 850
  LOL, sure i will try. I think the K10 is more difficult to pair with cables/amps, but once matched, it should sound good; with more emotion/passion in the vocal and better punch in the bass.

in case it will surpase the Mentor's Treble then i am in, so far the Mentor is epic, its just that i had a goal to have a warm sweet lush mids and Sparkly fun treble in a one CIEM

the Mentor 's mids is very good, i hope i don't get less on the K10, that will be sad :<  for me i don't care about the bass, although if i said i didn't enjoy it on the Mentor then i will be a lair XD

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #238 of 850
My Concero is here <3

​
 ​
 ​

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #239 of 850
  in case it will surpase the Mentor's Treble then i am in, so far the Mentor is epic, its just that i had a goal to have a warm sweet lush mids and Sparkly fun treble in a one CIEM

the Mentor 's mids is very good, i hope i don't get less on the K10, that will be sad :<  for me i don't care about the bass, although if i said i didn't enjoy it on the Mentor then i will be a lair XD

So far i find the Mentor most enjoyable when paired with the Kojo and 8 braid silver litz + copper litz interconenct. The top and bot extension is better compared to from ak120 alone.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #240 of 850

So far i find the Mentor most enjoyable when paired with the Kojo and 8 braid silver litz + copper litz interconenct. The top and bot extension is better compared to from ak120 alone.

and we will get the Silver Widow soon >=) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back