Unique Melody Announcements, Impressions, & More
Feb 1, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #62 of 553
Well I have no 2.5 source, but they are making these cables themselves, so 2.5 is no issue.
Is this a whole new cable? not the smartest move these days, ideally one has a balanced one and then use an adapter

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #63 of 553
I still like me UM MArtians tho

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/12/unique-melody-martians-otherworldly-experience.html

IMG_20171129_145418.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #64 of 553
Is this a whole new cable? not the smartest move these days, ideally one has a balanced one and then use an adapter

We offer termination in 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4. If you plan to use an adaptor, that's something you'll have to consider in advance when you choose the terminations we offer. Offering these 3 covers most bases though.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #65 of 553
I have the adaptors already, so i have balanced cables in 2.5 and 4.4 for mmcx and 2 pin, its just a massive shame the dual tone wasn't offered as such, being not your average stock cable and proprietary etc.. it now means swapping cables all the time, shame really, its so simple..

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #69 of 553
Actually it means having the stock cable never used anymore, which entirely defeats the point of offering a good cable in the first place
Well you can always get a 2.5 mm balanced cable and get adapters to 4.4 or 3.5 balanced. Or to single ended. But you of course cannot get a single ended cable and put an adapter to balanced.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #71 of 553
The idea was to make the stock cable balanced and then offer 2.5 to 3.5 or 4.4 to 3.5..
Now the se cable will be rendered useless after buying balanced

Not sure I follow your train of though. Is your concern buying the 3.5 SE cable and then later on buying a balanced amplifier or DAP and needing a balanced cable instead?

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #72 of 553
Not sure I follow your train of though. Is your concern buying the 3.5 SE cable and then later on buying a balanced amplifier or DAP and needing a balanced cable instead?

I have everything a plenty, daps, cables,adapters.what i don't have is a balanced cable for Mentors having to get a proprietary one. I am trying to say it would have been better to have the true tone as a balanced in the package rather than having to get an extra one and not use the supplied one.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #73 of 553
I have everything a plenty, daps, cables,adapters.what i don't have is a balanced cable for Mentors having to get a proprietary one. I am trying to say it would have been better to have the true tone as a balanced in the package rather than having to get an extra one and not use the supplied one.

You have the choice between 2.5, 3.5, or 4.4. If you need balanced, you would just choose for your IEM to be shipped with either 2.5 or 4.4. Does that solve your issue?

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #74 of 553
You have the choice between 2.5, 3.5, or 4.4. If you need balanced, you would just choose for your IEM to be shipped with either 2.5 or 4.4. Does that solve your issue?
Sorry, don't understand, as far as i know ,v3's was not offered with any different than SE cable.i got Mentor 3 about 2 months ago.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #75 of 553

I have the adaptors already, so i have balanced cables in 2.5 and 4.4 for mmcx and 2 pin, its just a massive shame the dual tone wasn't offered as such, being not your average stock cable and proprietary etc.. it now means swapping cables all the time, shame really, its so simple..

Actually it means having the stock cable never used anymore, which entirely defeats the point of offering a good cable in the first place

The idea was to make the stock cable balanced and then offer 2.5 to 3.5 or 4.4 to 3.5..
Now the se cable will be rendered useless after buying balanced
In spite of what is commonly believed, balanced isn't necessary for many folks. Having the stock cable be SE is still standard practice. If you order direct from UM you can get the balanced cable of your choice. Sorted.

I would argue that the likely benefit of balanced output is small for a sensitive multiBA IEM. Balanced might just increase hiss probability. The main advantages are generally increased power and decreased cross-talk. Power is moot on an easy driving IEM. Cross-talk might not be. If your balanced output sounds consistently better, test it volume matched before reaching a conclusion. It might just be the increase in volume causing the 'better' sound.

Lawrance, rock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back