Ultrasone Signature DJ
Feb 9, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #527 of 2,701
I was under the impression that orthos are bass light, i.e. Mad Dogs.

I think the Mad dogs have more quantity than the average headphone. Where ortgos really shine is how low they drop into the sub bass regions and most importantly the quality of the bass. Once you hear them you'll understand water people mean by "one tone bass"

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #528 of 2,701
I guess I have to disagree. I won't try to argue that orthos don't have great bass quality but as far quantity goes, I don't think it's enough to satisfy people who are actually bassheads. The quantity and impact just isn't there. 

I have both the HE400 and HE500 and from my understanding they are a good showcase of ortho bass and I don't find them to satisfy the basshead in me. Both great headphones though and I'll probably keep the HE500 as something else to listen to as an alternative to the SDJ. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #529 of 2,701
Quote:
I guess I have to disagree. I won't try to argue that orthos don't have great bass quality but as far quantity goes, I don't think it's enough to satisfy people who are actually bassheads. The quantity and impact just isn't there. 

I have both the HE400 and HE500 and from my understanding they are a good showcase of ortho bass and I don't find them to satisfy the basshead in me. Both great headphones though and I'll probably keep the HE500 as something else to listen to as an alternative to the SDJ. 

I can't imagine an open headphone providing the visceral punch I receive from a capable closed back dynamic driver as the air has nowhere else to go but my eardrums.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #530 of 2,701
I just downloaded Jewel's Greatest hits and am listening with the DJs.  With the right vocal recording like this one, mids don't sound recessed at all and her voice........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #531 of 2,701
Quote:
I just downloaded Jewel's Greatest hits and am listening with the DJs.  With the right vocal recording like this one, mids don't sound recessed at all and her voice........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

What I found in my SDJ is that they say its dj headphone but,,,,it sound more like casual(I would say fancy) headphone for regular music listening. 

Very controlled, tight,punchy Bass,

Clear and Vivid Mid,

Crystal Clear yet not harsh treble~!

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #532 of 2,701

[size=10pt]I did a little comparison bwtween my ED8 with SDJ[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Sub Bass Quantity: ED8 and SDJ has similar quantity of bass[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Sub Bass Response: SDJ has faster and tighter Bass response[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid Bass Quantity: SDJ has slight more Mid Bass than ED8[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid Bass Response: ED8 has tighter Mid Bass Response[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid Quantity: I'd say they are very similar but SDJ has little more of Mids[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid Response: ED8 has faster response on Mid [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid High Quantity: ED8 has has more Mid high fr rang[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Mid High Response: SDJ has faster response on Mid High fr rang[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Treble Quantity: ED8 has more Treble than SDJ[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Treble Response: Still SDJ is Faster[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

Result

SDJ gives more power and fullness in music. They have tight punchy Bass with vivid Low mid and very controlled and smooth high (I'm not saying it is lack of treble SDJ Had very wide FR Range yet they are not o[size=10pt]verwhelming[/size]).

ED8 gives more detail and [size=10pt]clarity [/size]in music. They do have tighter mid bass with crystal clear Mid High and treble.(I'm not also saying ED8 is lack of Bass and Mid bass. They have plenty amount and quality of Bass and Mid bass but it is not as controlled when I compare to SDJ).

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #536 of 2,701
Quote:
Question to all you PROs . I don't mind spending the $1000 however is there even a better DJ can available on the market, or is something better and perhaps more expensive about to come out

I am not a pro, but can see how these would be a dream DJ headphone for a pro.  These are incredibly durable, they come with a coiled DJ cord in addition to a smartphone cord, the cups swivel and they are the most comfortable, best sounding DJ headphones I ever heard in my life by a mile.  Their sound is so good, they are almost selling them short calling them DJ headphones.  They are basically summit-fi audiophile closed headphones with enhanced bass.  Even the case they come with is top shelf.  They also go loud and isolate well with a snug fit, yet never too tight- great for loud environments.  I believe the Signature DJ is in a class by itself in the DJ headphone category.

Confirmed in this review by a DJ headphone reviewer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Ai6Vf6H4w

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #538 of 2,701
Thank for response , do they have the best isolation on the market though???? For that kind of money I would expect . Love my v 100 however they suck in Isolation and wing tip cracked.
To me at least, the Ultrasone Signature DJ would be the personal best sounding closed isolating headphones for my sound preference. But the SigDJ's are pricey.

The M-100 to me at least has been great value for me. But you are correct about its isolation.

I wrote a review on both these headphones.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #540 of 2,701
AnakChan I know I followed you on m 100 and one of the first to receive them. The music is very loud in clubs I play. I use the aiaiai tma. 1 and senheiser 25 . But looking to increase isolation. Are these foresters about to be released better you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back