Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #256 of 2,701
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #257 of 2,701

edit: my first thoughts. Will post more later if you are interested of my super professional analysis. 
[/quote]
Yes please rush us that super professional analysis of yours, I need to get a good closed can before Christmas!

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #260 of 2,701
In Paris thanks to the French importer. Great people.
SigDJ is definitely bass focused. Mids are recessed and often "covered" by the bass. highs are less sharp than on SigPro.
I feel SigPro.is.quite balanced while SigDj is really leaning towards bass response.
Don't get me wrong. it is detailed. But very colored.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #261 of 2,701
Quote:
SigDJ is definitely bass focused. Mids are recessed and often "covered" by the bass. highs are less sharp than on SigPro.
I feel SigPro.is.quite balanced while SigDj is really leaning towards bass response.

Very useful. Thanks Lito1. 

I am not a bass head - more like a mid head - but I hope to make my own comparison in about a month.  :)

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #262 of 2,701

I'm demoing the SigDJs now and I do agree with your assessment. I've decided to drop the comparison to the SigPro cos the loaner I got from the distributor doesn't sound right (I've got a mini-rant going on now that SigPros QC is just inconsistent & I've listened to probably 10 SigPros this year).

So right now I'm doing a back-2-back of the SigDJs & the M-100s instead & when I get home tonight, it'll be with the TH-900s.

P.S. I would consider the SigDJs mids to be somewhat pulled back rather than recessed. I feel these days that seems to be the general trend for headphones...Momentums, M-100, etc. The MDR-1Rs have been the only one that I've recently tried that's defied that trend.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #263 of 2,701
Quote:
I'm demoing the SigDJs now and I do agree with your assessment. I've decided to drop the comparison to the SigPro cos the loaner I got from the distributor doesn't sound right (I've got a mini-rant going on now that SigPros QC is just inconsistent & I've listened to probably 10 SigPros this year).
So right now I'm doing a back-2-back of the SigDJs & the M-100s instead & when I get home tonight, it'll be with the TH-900s.
P.S. I would consider the SigDJs mids to be somewhat pulled back rather than recessed. I feel these days that seems to be the general trend for headphones...Momentums, M-100, etc. The MDR-1Rs have been the only one that I've recently tried that's defied that trend.

The QC issue is a concern for me.  If there are inconsistencies with so many Sig Pros, it would stand to reason that the Sig DJ could have the same issues.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #264 of 2,701
Quote:
The QC issue is a concern for me.  If there are inconsistencies with so many Sig Pros, it would stand to reason that the Sig DJ could have the same issues.

Shouldn't be new news to you since you replied to MuppetFace back in June about this same topic :wink: :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570388/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro/1005#post_8476977

Well at least the 3-4xSigDJ's I've tried (once at the demo stand at the Fujiya Festival, another the next day when I borrowed from Timelord at the same festival before it was open to the public, the one Timelord has loaned me this week, and the demo unit at the e-earphone store), they sound same. Don't know if this gives you peace of mind.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #265 of 2,701
Quote:

Shouldn't be new news to you since you replied to MuppetFace back in June about this same topic :wink: :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570388/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro/1005#post_8476977

Well at least the 3-4xSigDJ's I've tried (once at the demo stand at the Fujiya Festival, another the next day when I borrowed from Timelord at the same festival before it was open to the public, the one Timelord has loaned me this week, and the demo unit at the e-earphone store), they sound same. Don't know if this gives you peace of mind.

Since you found that post, I have a needle inside a haystack I am trying to locate.  I suppose I am hoping the QC issues are old news.  Your M-100 comparison to these may be the deciding factor if I purchase, no pressure :wink:

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #266 of 2,701
I think I'm almost ready to finalise my SigDJ review. But in a very quick one-liner (teaser??) of my thoughts the SigDJ delivers a crystal clear cleaner presentation than the M-100. Bear in mind the cost difference is something like 3.38x more for the SigDJ so my personal opinion is that in the M-100 category, it's at the top of it's game but the SigDJ is just in another level.

I still feel bummed that the SigPro loaner is unevaluable since it's just not the best SigPro I've heard. I don't think it's an actual fault but I think there are multiple SigPro signatures out there.

Back to the SigDJ, I'm doing a comparison to my Fostex TH-900.

EDIT: Impressions are up :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-signature-dj

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #267 of 2,701
Nice review, AnakChan,

Sounds like these might actually hit that sweet spot for me. I'm even more interested in picking them up now. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #268 of 2,701
In fact, these could replace my TH900 for electronic music, and I can pick up the 009 for everything else. 

AnakChan, do you feel the SigDJ as a worthy competitor to the TH900 for electronic dance music? What are your thoughts?

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #269 of 2,701
Quote:
In fact, these could replace my TH900 for electronic music, and I can pick up the 009 for everything else. 

AnakChan, do you feel the SigDJ as a worthy competitor to the TH900 for electronic dance music? What are your thoughts?

If you're limiting to must purely electronic dance music, then IMHO, advantages of the TH-900 is probably not so relevant and the SigDJ possibly could be strong consideration. However if that genre expands to jazz, classical, music with strong vocals and natural acoustic instruments, then the SigDJ is still no where near where the TH-900s are. To me the advantages of the TH-900 is its ability to create that airy atmosphere and the rendering of the finer details across the frequencies. Admittedly I'm not certain how much of value would those factors be for electronic dance music - or maybe I'm listening to the wrong kinds of dance music that doesn't benefit from those qualities.

5 months ago when I sold off my Ed8LEs with the intent of purchasing the SigPros, I walked out of the store with the TH-900 instead. However the TH-900's poor isolation has kept it a "home use" of "event use"-only headphone. IMHO, for my personal tastes, expectations, and compromise, the SigPros (and now the SigDJ's) are still my top SQ closed isolating headphones - but I've yet to buy one :p.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #270 of 2,701
Thanks for your insight. Now it begs the question since you are an owner of both headphones. For the genres you listed: Jazz, classical, music with strong vocals and natural acoustic instruments

Are there ever occasions when you would prefer the TH900 over the 009?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back