Ultrasone Signature DJ
Sep 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #76 of 2,701
Quote:

it was just too long ago.  almost two months now for just a few minutes but i remember this.  more bass than sig pro.  other than that i forgot.  i talked a little bit about it earlier on this thread but now i really don't remember. 

Sorry to keep asking, but would you recall if the high end was as harsh as PRO 900, or is it likely highs are more neutral like Sig PRO (not bright nor dark).  I am looking for justification to buy these :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #77 of 2,701
You're right, they don't actually say. From the way I understand their wording of "bass-oriented tone quality", I'd assume that they will have an overall perception of being more bass-heavy than the Signature Pros... by design. I trust they will provide plenty of bass.

Definitely looking forward to reading some reviews; it should be interesting!

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #78 of 2,701
Quote:
Sorry to keep asking, but would you recall if the high end was as harsh as PRO 900, or is it likely highs are more neutral like Sig PRO (not bright nor dark).  I am looking for justification to buy these :)

i heard pro900 when they long time ago.  more like when they first got out and didn't quite like them.  it's not the hot treble that i didn't like.  i remember it's the mids that bother me(or not bother me at all).  and to me, signature pro don't sound like pro900 at all.  and signature pro sound more like their hfi line, which i prefer. 

by the way, don't trust anyone too much.  after all, we have different gear, different music and different ears. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #79 of 2,701
I agree with fhuang about the 900s as I currently own a pair. It's not that the highs are emphasized as much as the recessed mids that make the phone sound "unique". You either like it or don't and probably is dependent on the genres of music you listen too.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #80 of 2,701
Looking at the $1050 price and $699 current quoted sale price, I think ultrasone made a mistake painting these guys white and calling them Dj phones. I believe the pioneer hdj 2000s are on the upper end of what djs are willing to spend on work phones and the look and branding may be unappealing to some potential audiophile purchasers. They could have better targeted one or the other group by lowering the price further for djs maybe the 400 level would get more djs to bite, or branded them as a different version of sig pros and painted them a more appealing color while maintaining the industrial image of the sig pro line.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #81 of 2,701
Quote:
Looking at the $1050 price and $699 current quoted sale price, I think ultrasone made a mistake painting these guys white and calling them Dj phones. I believe the pioneer hdj 2000s are on the upper end of what djs are willing to spend on work phones and the look and branding may be unappealing to some potential audiophile purchasers. They could have better targeted one or the other group by lowering the price further for djs maybe the 400 level would get more djs to bite, or branded them as a different version of sig pros and painted them a more appealing color while maintaining the industrial image of the sig pro line.

I hear what you are saying and don't actually think any DJs would buy these.  I think these can fill a growing niche of audiophiles that crave extended bass to bring out the excitement of modern music.  These are right up my alley if they are more similar to the mids and highs of the Sig Pro with fantastic bass extension and I have never considered paying over $500 for a headphone until now.  Also, the looks of these are growing on me.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #82 of 2,701
Quote:
I agree with fhuang about the 900s as I currently own a pair. It's not that the highs are emphasized as much as the recessed mids that make the phone sound "unique". You either like it or don't and probably is dependent on the genres of music you listen too.

Yes, I was trying to say if the Signature DJ sounds anything like the PRO 900, I want nothing to do with them.  If they sound like bass-enhanced Signature Pros, I want them immediately.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #83 of 2,701
It's all a matter of personal taste but I am thinking that they look gorgeous - in pictures. We will see how they look in real life - also whether they look better or worse than the Signature Pro; I doubt that all of us will agree on this second point.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #87 of 2,701
Quote:
It's all a matter of personal taste but I am thinking that they look gorgeous - in pictures. We will see how they look in real life - also whether they look better or worse than the Signature Pro; I doubt that all of us will agree on this second point.

To me the Sig Pros are not really that GREAT looking and the DJs are basically a white Sig Pro... but still, I like their look! :p

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #88 of 2,701
^ I have to be honest that I have never seen (and therefore heard) either but I am strangely very interested. A reasonably portable high-end dynamic headphone is attractive. I think that these could be it.

I expect that I will prefer the Signature Pro as I am not a basshead but who knows...

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #89 of 2,701
Quote:
^ I have to be honest that I have never seen (and therefore heard) either but I am strangely very interested. A reasonably portable high-end dynamic headphone is attractive. I think that these could be it.

I expect that I will prefer the Signature Pro as I am not a basshead but who knows...

The Sig Pro has more than enough powerful, deep tight bass for a non-basshead.  I am just greedy with bass.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #90 of 2,701
Quote:
The Sig Pro has more than enough powerful, deep tight bass for a non-basshead.  I am just greedy with bass.

:)

I look forward to hearing comparisons (and eventually to providing my own). A big issue with the DJs will be how other elements of the sound - mids, treble, nuance etc. - are preserved... or have their own unique attractive qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back