Ultrasone Signature DJ
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,983 of 2,701
Honestly I would give it some time. Like I said, listen to something different so you don't have any expectations. Classical or some kind of acoustic.

+1

And as far as the surround software thing you are talking about goes, im assuming you just arent used to a soundstage, and about the bass, the djs i thought had more bass (or atleast hit much harder) than the ath m50s so you probably are just not used to the bass not mixing in with the mids. Trust me, once you realise that sound a is bass and sound b is vocals then it will be great.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,984 of 2,701
BA_D_R's impressions are similar to that other kid that bought Sig DJ, the TH-900, and ended up selling them both and bought a D5000.

I would say, try the D5000.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,985 of 2,701
  BA_D_R's impressions are similar to that other kid that bought Sig DJ, the TH-900, and ended up selling them both and bought a D5000.

I would say, try the D5000.

I ended up selling the D5000 as well. 
wink_face.gif

Okay, so in retrospect, I think part of the problem was the O2/ODAC combo I was using. I was using that to power all three headphones.

I think it was the O2 that I didn't like, it made the sound too flat and the highs too extended, just didn't gel with my ears. But that was the best gear I had at the time, so I figured it was the best thing to use. 

Since then, I bought the Matrix M-Stage and I am really loving it. (I also bought the RSA Predator DAC/AMP) Both of these are said to be "warmer" amps, which I agree with and like much more than the brighter and more linear O2 amp.

My Pro 900 sounds amazing (better than ever) and so does my D2000/Fidelio X1. It was actually more important for me to find a good DAC/AMP for the headphones I liked than keep buying different headphones all-together. Right now, I'm very happy staying in the mid-tier headphone category and enjoying it. They do things "good enough" without breaking my bank. I mean, I can own all three headphones for less than the price of a TH-900. I guess I'm just not an audiophile. I'm just someone who appreciates a "fun" sound.

I also must admit, I was a little stressed after making these big purchases. I really don't have that kind of money at the time, I'm just a broke college kid. I may have not given them the best chance I could have, just because I knew financially it was stupid to keep them. Maybe in jumped into summit fi too early and wasn't ready. Or maybe summit fi just isn't for me, personally.

One day in the future, when I'm rich, I hope to re-experiment with some of this equipment. Maybe by then, my tastes will also change. But for now, I'm happy. And that's what matters.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #1,986 of 2,701
Hehehehe :p
I felt the music somehow got scattered, at some tracks it feels like I forgot to turn off a virual surround software (if that make a sense).

I got two sources, Asus Xonar ST and DragonFly 1.2

Unusual indeed since the Sig series are a no nonsense straight shooting hp that are not generally finicky with amp and dac pairings.

I do in fact label the Sig Pro as an "audiophile" hp be it just a less fussy one or minus the typical brightness or sparkly upper end associated with audiophile headphones.  I think that merely labeling the Sig DJ as a bass or fart cannon is not doing it justice and many peeps are losing sight that it is so much more than that. 

At the end of the day if you can honestly compare the Sig DJ to an M50 type hp or some other mid tier offering without seeing the superiority of the Sigs sound then you may be better served in sticking with an M50 and be happy with all of the money you have saved. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #1,987 of 2,701
I think it's more about personal preferences than pairing issues. There's not one headphone that everyone will like no matter the quality or price.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #1,988 of 2,701
  Maybe in jumped into summit fi too early and wasn't ready. Or maybe summit fi just isn't for me, personally.

One day in the future, when I'm rich, I hope to re-experiment with some of this equipment. Maybe by then, my tastes will also change. But for now, I'm happy. And that's what matters.

Thats a wise choice. I think there is actually a case of 'too high, too early'. It always reminds me of a story I think Gerard Depardieu once told:
Being an aspiring wine lover he held a bottle of supremely fine wine of the best provenience. His mentor took the bottle, opened it and... spilled it into the kitchen sink. Explaining "You're not ready for that." he opened a bottle of simple, local wine.

I think one can indeed build up taste and desire for summit-fi gear. It is not a necessary consequence and no one should feel bad about being happy with mid-fi cans (they offer a so much better performance/price ratio its not even funny), but I think one has to experience the way that may lead to these expensive instruments. Its not about reaching the end, avoiding the journey. The actual fun part *is* the journey... enjoy it and in case you're not satisfied move ahead, taking small steps ans always asking 'Is this what I was looking for?', not 'Is this what the others are talking about?'.

So I still think theres much to enjoy about the Sig DJ, and it is a very capable headphone that hides behind its fun signature, but slowly reveals just how detailed it actually is.
@BA_D_R Yes, the M-100 might be worth checking out. Definitely bassy, but not muddy or congested, offers quite good resolution and is easy to drive.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,989 of 2,701
The wine story is a very good analogy here, Plakat. 

Reminds me of my experience with letting my sister try out my headphones. I have a really cheap $20 pair of phones, which sounds terrible. Like, very bad. Anyways, my sister uses it when she goes on her walks outside.

So, a few days ago, I hook up some of my best equipment with a song that gives me goose-bumps listening to it. (Anyone else like "All of Me" by John Legend?) 

Anyways, all she could really notice was that it sounded clear. No "wow, that sounds amazing." No "wow, I've never heard that before." No, "wow, I've got to get into this headphone thing". She can barely tell a difference, basically telling me "I mean, it sounds good, but so what?"

Needless to say, it was a frustrating experience for me, because I wanted her to get that "Wow!" this is amazing affect that we all are looking for here. (I've experienced it more with this hobby than most other ones)

So, I think you need to develop the ear to hear the differences. No doubt, they are there, EXTREMELY OBVIOUS to me the differences between the cheapie cans and the Mid-Fi cans I own, but it's not so obvious to someone lacking experience.

She even told me at the end of our listening session... "I mean, I just listen to the voice, I don't really care much about all the instruments in the track"

So, while I am frustrated by my inability to impress my sister with my hobby I've spent 2 years a part of, I realize she just doesn't have the ears and/or interest to appreciate the improvements a mid-fi can brings to the table vs. a cheapie can. This may be similar to my difficulties picking up the differences a Hi-fi can brings to the table, vs. my mid-fi cans. Maybe my ears just weren't ready for it and over some more time, they will develop to appreciate a better headphone.

I really do think everyone can appreciate good sound, but sometimes you ask yourself, why am I the 1 in 500 that owns some really nice premium cans? Why don't other people like this so much?

Part of the reason seems to be that there is a learning curve to it. Some see the improvements easily and clearly, some not so much so. The people that make it up to the TH-900 and SIG DJ are the select few that both care enough about their music to put out $700-1500 (plus more money on their DAC/AMP!) and have good experienced ears to boot.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,990 of 2,701

Thats a wise choice. I think there is actually a case of 'too high, too early'. It always reminds me of a story I think Gerard Depardieu once told:
Being an aspiring wine lover he held a bottle of supremely fine wine of the best provenience. His mentor took the bottle, opened it and... spilled it into the kitchen sink. Explaining "You're not ready for that." he opened a bottle of simple, local wine.

I think one can indeed build up taste and desire for summit-fi gear. It is not a necessary consequence and no one should feel bad about being happy with mid-fi cans (they offer a so much better performance/price ratio its not even funny), but I think one has to experience the way that may lead to these expensive instruments. Its not about reaching the end, avoiding the journey. The actual fun part *is* the journey... enjoy it and in case you're not satisfied move ahead, taking small steps ans always asking 'Is this what I was looking for?', not 'Is this what the others are talking about?'.

So I still think theres much to enjoy about the Sig DJ, and it is a very capable headphone that hides behind its fun signature, but slowly reveals just how detailed it actually is.
@BA_D_R Yes, the M-100 might be worth checking out. Definitely bassy, but not muddy or congested, offers quite good resolution and is easy to drive.

Well put and great analogy with the Gerard Depardieu reference / story.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,991 of 2,701
Okay guys, I need some help here.  I went to see a senior technician who sell and repair audio equipment.  As the plug (jack) on my headphone has worn out after 10 yr., and there is a contact problem.  So I ask him to cut out t hat jack and replace it w/ a new 1.  He said for any headphone, the wire connects to the jack is via a  tinsel wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsel_wire

and it CANNOT be soldered back, so I need to throw away the  headphone and buy a new one.

So

1) Is there a solution to replace the entire cable then?

2) Is the  signature  Pro c/w detachable headphone cable?  So it can be replaced?  Can someone post a photo of BOTH end of that cable?

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,993 of 2,701
  I started to really appreciate and love my Sig DJ, it could be the brain burn-in or the headphone burn-in or both,,,
Now the M50 is clearly far tailing the Sig DJ and shadows by its exhaust smoke,,,, :)

Ha! Figured that would happen. I didn't really think about it when I posted before, but both times I upgraded Ultrasones, I only realized how much better the new one was when I went and listened to the old one again.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,994 of 2,701
  I started to really appreciate and love my Sig DJ, it could be the brain burn-in or the headphone burn-in or both,,,
Now the M50 is clearly far tailing the Sig DJ and shadows by its exhaust smoke,,,, :)

Well its about time you realized how wonderful the Sig series really is .....lol
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #1,995 of 2,701
  Okay guys, I need some help here.  I went to see a senior technician who sell and repair audio equipment.  As the plug (jack) on my headphone has worn out after 10 yr., and there is a contact problem.  So I ask him to cut out t hat jack and replace it w/ a new 1.  He said for any headphone, the wire connects to the jack is via a  tinsel wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsel_wire

and it CANNOT be soldered back, so I need to throw away the  headphone and buy a new one.

So

1) Is there a solution to replace the entire cable then?

2) Is the  signature  Pro c/w detachable headphone cable?  So it can be replaced?  Can someone post a photo of BOTH end of that cable?

The entire cable should be replaceable unless of course the cost would be higher than what the headphone itself is worth.

The Sig Pro cable is detachable as with the DJ however the connection point is more of a proprietary one.  In other words if you are considering replacing your debunked cable with one from the Sig Pro / DJ line it would be a no go unless you were willing to throw some $$$ at it.

May I ask what headphone you are referring to? (the one you've owned for 10 years)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back