Ultrasone Proline 750 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable Review
Dec 30, 2006 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79
First the pictures:

750swithSilverDragon.jpg

The 750s with a 3 meter length of Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable

750swithSilverDragon-closeup.jpg

Close up view of the same

750swithSilverDragon-supercloseup.jpg

Super close up view showing a nice detail of the single cable entry into the left ear cup of the headphones.

Some background on the how the whole recabling came about.

Awhile back a purchased a pair of AKG K701s from a gentleman on Audiogon which had been recabled by Drew at Moon Audio with a Silver Dragon cable and I really liked the quality of his work and the quality of the cable. After I purchased the Proline 750s they had become one of favorite set of headphones and I was hoping that a cable upgrade might help to tame what I felt was a rather unruly bass and somewhat harsh treble response.

The Proline 750's come with a nice cable which is attached to the headphones via a threaded 1/8" stereo mini plug which connects to the left ear cup. I was hoping that Drew could simply terminate one his stock cables with a 1/8" stereo mini plug and bingo an instant cable upgrade. Alas ans Drew and I soon found out this was not to be. After much searching and even contacting Ultrasone Drew was unable to obtain the these elusive little plugs so we decided to hardwire the cable to the headphone. I went with a single entry since most of the sonic improvements will be realized by simply replacing the stock cable and the removable (threaded) connection. However a double entry, i.e. connections to both the left and right ear cups, type connection is also possible.

The last thing to be decided was what type of cable to use. Based on my experience with the sound signature of the 750s and the sonic properties of the different types of cable available from Moon Audio I felt that the Silver Dragon would be a good match for the 750s. The 750s have plenty of bass but the bass tends to be somewhat unfocused at times. There is also a tendency for the midrange and high end to become harsh at times and at other times to become overwhelmed by the bass. While a copper cable would give the sound some nice warmth it would not be able to control that monster bass, however, silver should be able to tighten up the bass and let the midrange and high end come through much more clearly.

So after all that how does it sound???

In a word - [size=large]Spectacular!

[/size]
[size=large][size=x-small]Yes I know that it's a bit of hyperbole but I really do like the way these phones sound. I've been listening to them now for a couple of weeks to make sure that it wasn't just the newness of the phones getting the best of me. I've done several careful comparisons with my other headphones to get an idea of just what it is that the Ultrasones do better and different than the other phones and here's what I've come up with.

As I've stated before listening with Ultrasones is more like listening to speakers than listening with other headphones. With the Silver Dragon cable the bass is more focused and more controlled. There is more of a beginning, middle and end to each bass note and not just one big thud plus there this great feeling of reverb as if the bass is filling the space as it does when one is listening to speakers. In other words the bass has a really nice decay.

The AKG K701s are great of listening to a nice string quartet and other bass shy music.

The Sennheiser HD650s are great for all round music and analyzing what's going on the recording because everything is so detailed and crystal clear.

The Ultrasone Proline 750 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable are great for just enjoying the music because everything just sounds so right - the bass is there when it needs to be, the midrange is right on, the high end crisp without being harsh and the soundstage has that S-Logic magic which has to be heard to be believed.
[/size]
[/size]

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, Ralph and awesome photos to boot!
280smile.gif

Thanks, however I can't take credit for the photos since Drew at Moon Audio took them and emailed them to me for use in the review
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 79
Nice write up, Ralph. Too bad that you couldn't work out something with Ultrasone in terms of the threaded 1/8" connector. It would be nice to be able to cable swap with the 750 and 2500 like we can do with the Senn 600 and 650. That way, you would be able to A/B the stock cable to the Silver Dragon. Oh well. At least you're happy with the results, and that's what matters in the end.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write up, Ralph. Too bad that you couldn't work out something with Ultrasone in terms of the threaded 1/8" connector. It would be nice to be able to cable swap with the 750 and 2500 like we can do with the Senn 600 and 650. That way, you would be able to A/B the stock cable to the Silver Dragon. Oh well. At least you're happy with the results, and that's what matters in the end.

Oh, believe me Drew tried very hard to work something out but it was not to be, however, Ultrasone remains very interested in the outcome of his work. Judging by the improvement in the sound of the bass to the 750s I'd said that the Silver Dragon cable is a very worthwhile upgrade to this already very fine headphone provided that one likes the sound of the 750 with the stock cable.

I have a pair of Proline 2500s that I picked up from an eBay auction that I should be receiving within the next week or so and it will be interesting to compare the sound of the recabled 750s to the 2500s with the stock cable (after I burn in the 2500s - the 750s have been thoroughly burned in).

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, believe me Drew tried very hard to work something out but it was not to be, however, Ultrasone remains very interested in the outcome of his work.

That seems odd to me. You know, that they would be very interested in the outcome of his work (and thus, apparently, encouraged by the notion that the sound of the 750/2500 could be improved by cable swapping) and yet they were unable to accomodate his request of providing a handful of these simple and inexpensive parts for him to work with!

I've got both the 750 and 2500 and quite enjoy them for what they are. But the real beauty in these headphones as far as I was concerned (being the tweeker that I am) was in their easily removable cords, which I had assumed (erroneously, apparently) would allow me to play a variety of quick and easy cable swapping games with them.

Oh well. Wait a minute, haven't I said that before? Oh well. I'm really disappointed about this news, and am quite frankly perplexed by it.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 79
Ralph, did Drew run his cable to the right-side driver as well?

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 79
Rudi did some research, and he located some sources is Europe, IIRC, that carry that plug, but it has to be purchased in large quantities, more than 100. I think that we talked about that once, he offered once an upgraded cable for the PROLines, made out of Rodium Silver plated or something similar, which I still own and use (a short prototype), Ultrasone tried it as well, and IMO it sounds very good, now to be honest the stock does not sound bad at all....
Ultrasone had refused the recabling in the past, even to recable the Edition 9 to be used as balanced, and choose the RPX-33 dual mono instead, to be paired with it, which is used now for the shows and events, instead of going the balanced route, don't ask me why, maybe the hassle of the need of a balanced source, and limited amount of users, etc....

But who knows maybe Drew had a better luck...

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rudi did some research, and he located some sources is Europe, IIRC, that carry that plug, but it has to be purchased in large quantities, more than 100.

Alberto, try to confirm the source with Rudi and let's investigate a group buy. As I suspect I'm into Ultrasone for the long-haul, I'd certainly spring for 10 of the pesky little threaded darlings.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alberto, try to confirm the source with Rudi and let's investigate a group buy. As I suspect I'm into Ultrasone for the long-haul, I'd certainly spring for 10 of the pesky little threaded darlings.
wink.gif

I emailed him and I'm waiting for his answer, we talked about this quite some time ago, and not sure if this source is still avaialble, but I iwll find out, but to try will not harm anybody....

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 79
Quote:

I emailed him and I'm waiting for his answer, we talked about this quite some time ago, and not sure if this source is still avaialble, but I iwll find out, but to try will not harm anybody....

Great! And I'll be meeting Hans from Qables at the Benelux meet next month. Perhaps he can turn up a source from among his numerous parts vendors.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ralph, did Drew run his cable to the right-side driver as well?

No, it's a single entry cable going only to the left ear cup. The internal wiring between the left and right side drivers was not changed.

Quote:

Rudi did some research, and he located some sources is Europe, IIRC, that carry that plug, but it has to be purchased in large quantities, more than 100.....

But who knows maybe Drew had a better luck...

As I stated earlier Drew tried to locate this part but could not find any and making a new mold for the part would have cost several thousand dollars, not something that was worth doing for one recabling job.

Don't get too hung up on the lack of availability of the thread 1/8" mini plug since when Drew and I discussed this issue Drew made it pretty clear that going to a hard wired (soldered) connection is the much better from a sound quality stand point anyway. Remember the less connections there are in the signal path the better plus it's not like the Silver Dragon cable is going to fray or fail with normal use. Not to mention that all the great things that it does for the sound of the 750s.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I stated earlier Drew tried to locate this part but could not find any and making a new mold for the part would have cost several thousand dollars, not something that was worth doing for one recabling job.

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I was talking about Drew and the Ultrasone future recabling relationship, not about the plug...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back