Ultrasone Proline 750 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable Review
Dec 31, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back on topic, anyone have pics of the Proline internal wiring?

Your wish is Google Images command:

20050904210131.jpg

20050904204133.jpg

PROline 2500

As usual, courtesy of our Japanese friends who love to tear into their gear and document it in minute detail!
280smile.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 79
See how they tune the drivers, they covered two of the center holes in the back and none of the outer ones, in the 2500 they cover one of the outer, and none of the ones in the back....BTW those pics are from the 750, not the 2500, I emailed them for a confirmation and got it, they must be showing a way of tunning them similar to the 750, or showing a pic of the 750 for comparison, or maybe they misplaced the pictures, but definitelly those pictures are not from the 2500, I have opened mine many times, and I know that there is no sticker on the back of the driver at all...

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what those diodes do on the drivers...

They are added for protection to the coil of the drivers, while the voltage exceed certain limit, they conduce and short-circuit the signal, they will fry the amp, but will save the heapdhones.....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Wel actually I'm not 100% sure how they work, I have seen that in tweeters as well, but they are for protection of the drivers....

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you remove the jack and hardwire it, you face several "problems" IMO, of course you did what you consider better and that is your decision and I respect it, but let's face other points of view, just as a general knowledge or to try to lead others as well....Well one is that you void the warranty which in the case of Ultrasone is a problem given that they do not sell parts, as drivers, directly to the public, and the warranty is fantastic, and the service is top notch, but of course given that they know Drew, maybe you can deal with them, and that is the less problematic one IMO.
wink.gif

The second is that, later on you can't use the cable in any other simlar model, or any other simlar heapdhone, let's say you can have only one cable and 3 different models, there is no need of getting the 2 extra cables, just change the cable from one to the other, this way you save money, as the cables are really expensive (100+).
blink.gif

Another downside, is that later on if you decided to sell the headphone, you are forced to sell the cable with it, or if you decided to upgrade to a better or different model, you will not have the cable. As we have seen here, in case of the senns for example, many times people sell the heapdhone and keep the aftermarket cable, as they retain a better resell value, that the heapdhone itself, or simply becasue they are going for example from HD580 to 600, or 650, and they all share the same cable.
frown.gif

And the last but not the least IMO, is that if you can purchase the cable and attach it yourself, there is no need of sending the headphone to them for recable, just get the cable attach it and period, the way I did it...you can keep on enjoying the headphone in the meanwhile, and this way I'm 100% sure that the sales would be faster and more numerous...

Also now you can not compare before and after...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
(that's a joke, who cares if you are happy with it)

Honestly I would never think in removing any useful feature from any audio device, just to "upgrade" but that is my personal point of view, and in this particular case there was absolutelly no option for you guys so this is IMO somewhat justified...Now enjoy it...
wink.gif

BTW I have an upgraded cable as well, made out of very good rodium silver plated, and several of the stock ones, and honestly the differences IMO do not justify the hassle of the recabling, and are IMO being a little overkill, the stock cable sounds very very good...even sometimes I still use it, as the upgraded is a little short for the distance I'm siting from the amp...but maybe the Moon one sounds far better...
mad.gif
mad.gif

Just my two cents on this topic...
wink.gif

Sovkiller,

You're just about right on all your points except for the one about the improvement that the new cable makes to sound of the 750s - there is quite a difference, at least to my ears, from the stock cable. And as I've stated earlier I did not really want to go with a hardwired cable but the lack available parts kind of forced the issue and I was fully aware of this work voiding the warranty but I was willing to take that chance. I'll just have to limit the amount of listening I do while in the bathtub from on now
280smile.gif
and also while playing full tackle football. Oh well, I'll just have to behave myself while I'm wearing these 750s in the future.

So anyway, I'm interested in a friendly listening comparison between the recabled 750s and the Edition 9s with maybe some nice bourbon and plenty of fine music. Let's set something up since we're both located in north jersey.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Now this I don't understand. Isn't the whole point of recabling to replace the lesser cable the manufacturer supplied? Wouldn't one want the same cable going to both drivers? Logic would dictate that since one side is now different than the other, it therefore sounds different.

i was thinking the same
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #37 of 79
It's funny that when the question of using after-market cables was posed to the International Head-Fi meet panel, Dr. Florian replied that it is a "simple" matter of making a cable with the standard 1/8" connector. I guess it's not so "standard".

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller,

You're just about right on all your points except for the one about the improvement that the new cable makes to sound of the 750s - there is quite a difference, at least to my ears, from the stock cable. And as I've stated earlier I did not really want to go with a hardwired cable but the lack available parts kind of forced the issue and I was fully aware of this work voiding the warranty but I was willing to take that chance. I'll just have to limit the amount of listening I do while in the bathtub from on now
280smile.gif
and also while playing full tackle football. Oh well, I'll just have to behave myself while I'm wearing these 750s in the future.

So anyway, I'm interested in a friendly listening comparison between the recabled 750s and the Edition 9s with maybe some nice bourbon and plenty of fine music. Let's set something up since we're both located in north jersey.

I will have an RPX-33 specially tuned for it soon, maybe in late January, you are very welcome home, to listen whatever you like to, with or withoput Bourbon, a couple of Cohibas are in order I think...Let's plan a minimeet maybe, we could invite a couple of more friends, from NY or NJ, what do you think??? Hey James,Romanee, Derek, you are also welcome home, we have our differences in audio taste but does not make us enemies, audio is one thing and life is another....anyway there is no differecne that a shot of "Jacky D" and a good Cohiba could not fix...

We need to introduce more fiends to the Ultrasone sound (and maybe to the Rudistor world)...What do you think??? I have also 2500 recabled, and CD3K...not sure if I will pull the trigeer in any of the 580, to use it as balanced with the NX-33, given that I have a balanced cable around made by Rudi...

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:

So what seems to be happening is that the Moon Audio cabling is equalizing the sound between your amp and the internal Ultrasone wiring scheme, rather than "opening up a better pipeline" directly between the headphone & source/amp.

Not that this is a bad thing. It only paints a different perspective on why different cables make things sound different. You are not necessarily getting more information, but altered information.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, all I know is that different types of cable impart different sound signatures, e.g. copper tends to be "warm", silver tends to be "fast", etc, so I sure what exactly you're getting at but I do feel that the silver cable is a good "match" for the Ultrasone driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what exactly is the price of admission to board the Moon/Ultrasone Luv-Train?

Approximately $200 for a 3 meter length of Silver Dragon cable with a single entry connection but please with Moon Audio for an exact price quote.

Quote:

Now this I don't understand. Isn't the whole point of recabling to replace the lesser cable the manufacturer supplied? Wouldn't one want the same cable going to both drivers? Logic would dictate that since one side is now different than the other, it therefore sounds different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking the same
blink.gif

You are both technically right but the differences are so slight that they are basically imperceptible to the human ear, unless of course that ear is golden and belongs to the guy who lives in Sea Cliff, NY
icon10.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #40 of 79
Quote:

It's funny that when the question of using after-market cables was posed to the International Head-Fi meet panel, Dr. Florian replied that it is a "simple" matter of making a cable with the standard 1/8" connector. I guess it's not so "standard".

Well I think that you can use an standard thin 1/8 plug and it will fit inside the jack (and maybe use a threaded nut over it to secure it later on) I used once a computer cable that I just make it thinner using a blade, but it did not hold just as secure, also not sure but if Drew had recabled other headphones, he may have plugs like this around, the CD3K and some AKG and Beyer uses the same plug it is an standard threaded 1/8 plug used by many manufacturers, I can't figure out why it is so hard to get now, honestly....maybe they order it along with the cables who knows....

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

You are both technically right but the differences are so slight that they are basically imperceptible to the human ear, unless of course that ear is golden and belongs to the guy who lives in Sea Cliff, NY
icon10.gif

you are probably right..
it would be somewhat hard to tell the difference since some people cant even tell the difference between stock and upgrade cables..

anyways, great looking headphone you got there
cool.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

I will have an RPX-33 specially tuned for it soon, maybe in late January, you are very welcome home, to listen whatever you like to, with or withoput Bourbon, a couple of Cohibas are in order I think...Let's plan a minimeet maybe, we could invite a couple of more friends, from NY or NJ, what do you think??? Hey James,Romanee, Derek, you are also welcome home, we have our differences in audio taste but does not make us enemies, audio is one thing and life is another....anyway there is no differecne that a shot of "Jacky D" and a good Cohiba could not fix...

We need to introduce more fiends to the Ultrasone sound (and maybe to the Rudistor world)...What do you think??? I have also 2500 recabled, and CD3K...not sure if I will pull the trigeer in any of the 580, to use it as balanced with the NX-33, given that I have a balanced cable around made by Rudi...

"Jacky D" - Oh No!! Please, spare me. That's strictly for amateurs and kids. I'll bring some of the good stuff like Basil Hayden's and Bulliets. And a nice little minimeet sounds like a splendid idea, let's keep in touch and plan on something for early Feb.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

"Jacky D" - Oh No!! Please, spare me. That's strictly for amateurs and kids. I'll bring some of the good stuff like Basil Hayden's and Bulliets. And a nice little minimeet sounds like a splendid idea, let's keep in touch and plan on something for early Feb.

Well as far as I know my money go only and strictly into audio stuff, and as I do not beleive in voodoo, but well....IMO I heard a noticeable improvement in my system, day and night, while going from:

vodkaguide_1903_48898029

to:

legends_bottle.jpg

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

Well as far as I know my money go only and strictly into audio stuff, and as I do not beleive in voodoo, but well....IMO I heard a noticeable improvement in my system, day and night, while going from:

vodkaguide_1903_48898029

to:

legends_bottle.jpg

Then the you'll hear an even bigger improvement as we go from

legends_bottle.jpg

to

MM1608.jpg

to
1256.jpg

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

Then the you'll hear an even bigger improvement as we go from

legends_bottle.jpg

to

MM1608.jpg

to
1256.jpg

Nah...That is Voodoo....but I would like to give it a try, I will try to get some Cohibas as well, directly from Havana!!!! I do not smoke at home, and do not smake in general, but used to like 20 years agb, and always a good Cohiba is welcome, we have a huge parking lot to smoke....and an samll nice park besides my building as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back