ultrasone pro750 fakes? (also strengths, weaknesses and opinions of genuine 750s)
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quispiam

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, so please forgive any faux pas.

After some time browsing this and other sites looking for a good set of headphones for around $150 US i settled on the Shure SRH 750DJs (i mainly listen to bass heavy electro/dance music and read that these were a good buy). I found a pair for a pretty good price and ordered them. Imagine my suprise (and initial consternation) today when i eagerly opened the package to find a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750s. A quick google told me that they are considerably more expensive than the SRH 750DJs but i'm kinda suspicious, does anyone know of fake Ultrasone Pro 750's going arouind?

Assuming they are real, ive been listening to them for a little while and i'm not sure what to think.. they have pretty serious bass and lots of highs but nothing has really made me go wow yet, and it sounds kind of messy as i turn the volume up (sorry i'm kinday new to all the  jargon haha)... I used to have a pair of HD-25-I-II (till a PA amp squashed one can) and i quite liked them at the time, however, I havent listened to many other headphones and i have trouble remembering quite what the hd-25s were like. Essentially i'm asking how other headphones would compare for electro-house, dubstep, dnb etc? Would i be better off selling these and going for a different set of cans alltogether, or even going for the SRH 750's?

Anyway, cheers for wading through my ramblings and any thoughts would much appreciated!

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 9

The pro 750s are really bad headphones

O RLY?
pascal75.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Wow nice, guess it's your lucky day.
I've never heard the Pro 750 but they should be a league ahead of the SRH750DJ.
The Ultrasone uses stiff titanium plated drivers which supposedly need LOTS of burn in to sound their best.
My advice to you is to let the headphones burn in for say, 24 hours, and listen to them again. The difference should be noticable. And they will keep improving with more playing time.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 9
How many hours have you put on them?
I recently got a Ultrasone PRO 2500 and after 20 hours some serious changes started kicking in(for the good) and others have said more are to come.
If people don't believe in burn in get a pair of Ultrasone's and you will believe.
But out of the box I can see people being very disappointed.

You should have got the headphones,2 cables straight,coiled,demo cd,manual,extra pads,1/8 adapter,and hard(and nice) carrying case.

There is some pics to see of pro 2500 but pro 750 should look just like this except the open part(little holes on the earcups) of the 2500
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/368129/fs-2008-ultrasone-pro-2500-sold

And where did you buy them?

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I've owned the Proline 750.  I didn't really like them much.  Big, flabby bass, piercingly brittle highs, horribly uncomfortable.  On the other hand, they are blue, and do roll up into a neat ball.

After these and a pair of HFI 780's I spent a bunch of time with, I'm just not an ultrasone guy, it seems.  That said, I would like a listen to the 900's, just to be sure...

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 9
When I first got my Pro 750s, I hated them.  They are shrill, almost to the point of being painful.

I was very close to putting them up on the sale forum, then I decided to Kees mod them before I cast them off.

All it takes is four 1" furniture gliders and a couple **extremely** thin pieces of cotton.  Ten minutes later, and the transformation was astonishing.  They are still quite balanced, but they go all the way down to 20hz with authority, they are still a bit bright without being harsh.  They retain a nice, clean midrange and a great soundstage for a pair of closed headphones.

They don't necessarily do any one thing as well as other headphones that I have.  I have headphones with better bass, with a better midrange, and with a wider soundstage.  As a package, though, it's hard to deny that these are an astonishing pair of cans.  I would recommend them for people who prefer a studio sound to a hi-fi sound, but don't just listen to the detractors.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 9
Pro 750 impression:

Very bright treble, piercing, puts Grados to shame.  Sibilance along with it.  Hope this improves with burn in.

But the bass is certainly not flabby, but it does seem to obscure the lower midrange at times.

The PRAT I am hearing is very promising.  Purely for timing and bass quality these headphones are promising.  The make my K272 sound slow and lacking in dynamics.

So hard to find a decent headphone without spending a fortune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back