Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2,041 of 5,992
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to join the club sometime this month. I've been doing a lot of research over the last few months trying to decide which way to go. I decided I wanted something that will have the clarity of my HD650's but will also have sufficient bass. I almost got a pair of DT990 600ohm's, then D2000's, almost bought a pair of D1100. Then finally decided that Ultrasone Pro 900's will be my next headphone.

I was wondering if someone that has HD650's or has had them in the past can explain to me the main differences when going from HD650's to the Pro 900's. I can't wait to buy them, just waiting for the price on Amazon to dip a little bit.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,042 of 5,992

Quote:
I'll try that, but I don't like the itunes EQ so much. I have lots of tracks where the EQ distorts the bass, which makes the track unlistenable for me.

How do you deal with that? Or your tracks don't get distorted when EQ'ed?

Either use the preamp setting or an all-pass filter to make sure the highest output from the equalizer is <0db

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,043 of 5,992
PHEW. So, my Pro 900's rocked up yesterday, and lets just say I have done A LOT of listening since then. My overall impression? Very very nice. I just came from a set of ATH-A900Ti's that were on their deathbed, and I must say that these 2 headphones are miles and miles apart. Until now, I wasn't super convinced in the massive differences that you read about, but it is all true. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'd love to go into that.

Firstly, there's a lot of people on here saying "oh yeah, don't even bother listening to them til after 200 hours burn in etc etc". Hmmm? Lol. They sound great out of the box! Haha I love em. The bass.....well, couldn't ask for any more really. It's loud, it's clear, it's refined, you can distinguish individual notes perfectly, and it doesn't encroach on the mids at all. Best bass I've ever heard in a headphone. Now the highs....I will concede, that they can be a little harsh at times. When up loud, to the point of being a little bit painful lol. I'll probably expect these to calm down a little bit with the famous Ultrasone burn-in. There is one piece of music that i love to use to test headphones, and so after all this listening I had done, I was expecting something magical from the 900 Pros. Annnnnd....I just didn't get it. It was nice, sounded very nice, but it was just music. It didn't have a particular sparkle or punch that the A900Ti's had. I was very very surprised. I'd describe the piece of music as electronic and mid to high. Might get better with time? Who knows. I do need to stress that there is absolutely nothing wrong or offensive about how the Pros handle it, just that the 900Ti's do it better.

All in all, I consider these a step up from the A900Ti's. They both excel in different departments, and given I am more of a bass inclined person, the win goes to the 900 Pros. If I could describe the sound signature of these, i would just call it FUN. I guess, like everyone else, I should report back in 200 hours :p

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #2,044 of 5,992
In my opinion the main difference between 650 and 900s are aggressiveness. The 900s punches you in the face with it's bass while the 650 is the comforting type, getting you back up again after getting punched. 

You can't really compare them directly. I like getting punched so the 900 are my favourite.

Most of my friends also prefer the 900, well, they think lots of loud bass = quality and that the 650 is crap. Oh well :p (And yes, two of them own beats).

The 900 are beyond superb when it comes to dubstep.
Listen to Mteden and you will understand.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to join the club sometime this month. I've been doing a lot of research over the last few months trying to decide which way to go. I decided I wanted something that will have the clarity of my HD650's but will also have sufficient bass. I almost got a pair of DT990 600ohm's, then D2000's, almost bought a pair of D1100. Then finally decided that Ultrasone Pro 900's will be my next headphone.

I was wondering if someone that has HD650's or has had them in the past can explain to me the main differences when going from HD650's to the Pro 900's. I can't wait to buy them, just waiting for the price on Amazon to dip a little bit.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #2,045 of 5,992

Quote:

I agree with the agressive comments.  Open/closed is a bigger factor though.  The ultrasone has a very closed feel to it, whereas the sennheiser is more airy.  I would add that the HD650 are much more of a home headphone, and benefit immensely from a proper home setup, whereas the 900 fare better unamped or with something like an E11 or P51 than the 650.  The 650 I listened to in Ray's setup was miles above the 900 in clarity and soundstage, and had a much more balanced sound.  There was most certainly no veil in that setup.
(I think I mentioned to you in a PM, you can buy these from buyauthorized.  They used to sell for 320 (which is a price that many here got them for,) but recently they have refused to go lower than 350, stating substantially higher costs.)

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,047 of 5,992
Thanks.

And also, I know some people don't believe in burn-in, but I do, and I'm reaching now about 200 hours on my Pro 900 and the bass has really tighten up! I'm listening to Trolley Snatcher - Scattah, and wow
basshead.gif

Quote:

Either use the preamp setting or an all-pass filter to make sure the highest output from the equalizer is <0db

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2,048 of 5,992
Hey everybody!

I've got both the Ultrasone Pro 900 and DJ1 (HFI580) running from a HiFiMan EF2A Amp/Dac with 5654 tubes.

What's driving me crazy is that I find the DJ1 better than the Pro 900 in almost every aspect!

Despite the lack of that monster, insane subbass of the Pro 900, my DJ1 has much more bass impact (midbass enphasis) and sounds waaaay more detailed.

Both have been burned-in for about 70 hours, and have besides that around 20 (dj1) and 10 (pro900) hours of use.

Would you say I got a defective pro 900 or is it actually less detailed than the hfi 580/dj1?

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #2,050 of 5,992

I've never heard the DJ1 before. However, I would not describe the bass from the pro 900 as a sub bass, far from it. 
It does not have a decay like subs has, its tight, punchy and strong. 
Might be that the amp is a miss match? I prefer solid state on mine. 

Edit: Go try some fast(er) bass n drum tracks. 

Quote:
Hey everybody!

I've got both the Ultrasone Pro 900 and DJ1 (HFI580) running from a HiFiMan EF2A Amp/Dac with 5654 tubes.

What's driving me crazy is that I find the DJ1 better than the Pro 900 in almost every aspect!

Despite the lack of that monster, insane subbass of the Pro 900, my DJ1 has much more bass impact (midbass enphasis) and sounds waaaay more detailed.

Both have been burned-in for about 70 hours, and have besides that around 20 (dj1) and 10 (pro900) hours of use.

Would you say I got a defective pro 900 or is it actually less detailed than the hfi 580/dj1?

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,051 of 5,992
It could just be that the EF2 has better synergy with the DJ1s, they are 32ohms compared to 40ohms, maybe it is having trouble driving the PROs.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2,052 of 5,992
Well the difference in clarity is huge between the hfi-580 and pro 900. I could even easily tell the hfi-780 shows more details when compared to my friend's 580. Your ears must be doing something terribly wrong or you plug them into the wrong source?!

Back to amps: I asked this before but never got an answer so I will just ask again: has anyone tried to pair the pro 900 with the Yulong U100? I'm not searching for a match made in heaven because I don't even know for how long I will be keeping my Ultrasones, but I just want a small amp at work. Any experiences yet?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2,053 of 5,992
Is re-cabling beneficial to the Ultrasone Pro 900? I've seen in peoples sig's they've had wire modded pro 900's. How do you do it? I didn't think the cables were of the replaceable type on it. Does re-cabling even really help these out or is the stock one plenty fine? I'm skeptical if these ultra expensive cables even really make a difference compared to like just a decently quality 40 dollar LOD or HP cable or whatever. I think as long as u get a mid low priced mid grade cable it will be just as good as the 300 dollar cables but what do you guys think?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,054 of 5,992
i bought a silver dragon cable from moon audio for $250, i am happy with the sound. It smoothed out the tingy-ness of the spectrum  imo

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #2,055 of 5,992

Quote:
i bought a silver dragon cable from moon audio for $250, i am happy with the sound. It smoothed out the tingy-ness of the spectrum  imo

How do you replace the cable on it tho?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back