Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,012 of 5,992
You think I'm joking!

I think I'm going to get a hearing test soon as I'm pretty sure I've got hearing damage from listening too loudly in general.
frown.gif

It wasn't my Pro900s that finally did it though. I think it was a combination of the AD700, gun sounds in CSS and volume being too high.

Currently I'm scared to listen to my headphones and feeling a bit depressed about being foolish and inconsiderate about listening levels.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #2,013 of 5,992
I've never had any issues with cymbals, maybe your listening to a poor recording?

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #2,014 of 5,992
Most of my music library are lossless ripped from either CDs or DVDs. And their recording are of the higher quality.
Not all tracks with cymbal sounds unpleasant of course (and there is different types of them and how they are presented), but in songs where they are 1/4 of the focus then yes.
Might just be my opinion though.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2,015 of 5,992
I find it strange I can listen to Black Metal on these, but people are having problems with well recorded music.... maybe I should turn the volume down, it may already be too late 
basshead.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,017 of 5,992
I don't understand.... Why don't you just EQ out the sibilant peaks with a parametric EQ?

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2,018 of 5,992
zoqi, I'm with you. I also find cymbals annoying with these. For example on Machine Head's The More Things Change... album.

I'm thinking a better DAC and amp is needed maybe, to shorten the decay of the high notes. Out of the iPhone, some songs come out extremely fatiguing.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,019 of 5,992

Quote:
zoqi, I'm with you. I also find cymbals annoying with these. For example on Machine Head's The More Things Change... album.

I'm thinking a better DAC and amp is needed maybe, to shorten the decay of the high notes. Out of the iPhone, some songs come out extremely fatiguing.

I've already said this, but I'll say it again: amping helps with the sibilance.  Quite a bit in fact.  It definitely does not completely remove it, and sometimes things are still obnoxiously "bright", but the sibilance decays much faster.  I don't have a DAC yet, but I think that even those that do are saying even that never really gets rid of it.  I also don't like having to rely on using an EQ.  It seems to help with sibilance, but then kills other frequencies too much, and there will probably never be "one setting" that works well with everything.

I hear what you mean about the cymbals on that album though (kind of--they aren't that bad with lossless).  But here's how you solve that problem: listen to Burn My Eyes instead!

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #2,021 of 5,992
Can anyone give me some comparisons of these 900's sound to westone 3/westone 3 le?

Believe it or not this is the first full size cans I've ever had (well waiting for them to come in the mail I HATE THE WAIT!)

All this sibilance people are talking about is it so bad you have to eq down the highs?

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #2,022 of 5,992
I find the Westone 3 to be more sibilant than the Pro900.

Since you are used to IEMs you may find the bass lacking in comparison, but I think that IEMs in general sound more bassy because they in the ear canal and create a seal so you feel the bass air pressure more on your ear drum. That's not a fact or anything, just my opinion based on my experience that using bassy IEMs for a whileand coming back to full-size headphones makes even bassy headphones seem not that bassy.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #2,023 of 5,992
yea i am a big time basshead. In my car I have a 13.5" JL Audio W7 powered by a JL audio 1000/1v2 monoblock amp. I have like 2 sound signatures modes in my car SQ mode and sub bass SPL level taken to the max mode. When I take this sub to the max the bass is sickening. It shakes your bodys internal organs so much that it can trigger the cough reflex in your throat. I had to get my rear and front windshield with a heavy duty seal because the sub literally made my rear windshield start leaking water because it broke the seal. It's pretty bad when you spend more upgrading your car audio system then the price of the whole car itself. I'm just addicted to audio quality.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #2,024 of 5,992
Ok, although I'm a strong believer of Ultrasone burn-in, I'll give you some impressions. In fact, I'm the one who spread the rumor of them needing 400hours. I.
I'm currently in Morocco and so i haven't listened to the pro2900 in a while. the pro2900 only had 30 hrs of burn in but from memory theythey sound very similar. In that if you know the pro 900s well, the pro 2900s will sound much the same to you, yet at the same time, very different. 
The bass has the same texture and feel, the highs have the same spa.rkle and the mids have the same upfront presentation. However, the bass sounds a lot more open and a little less boomy and omnipotent. The mids are neutral, as opposed to recessed, and far smoother. The highs have the same sparkle, yet aren't quite as piercing. The soundstage and transparency are where the true differences lie. The pro 900s had a rather large 3D soundstage and the pro 2900 feels very similar in dimension. However, it feels very airy and the transperancy is second to none! I'm really not exaggerating. I've listened a bunch of top tier dynamics, such as the Denon D7000 and the Beyerdynamic T1, and as far as my memory serves me, these seem to exceed all of them. In fact, these are the only dynamics that come close to the transparency of the Stax sr504 I tried. The transparency is so absurdly good, that I find them to be more detailed than the pro900. I listened to a soung my Sting, where the vocals are somewhat in the background and yet I could discern every word with ease!
So far I'm very pleased. I'm not saying that these are better headphones, it's just that for my taste, they might very well be.

Lastly, the build is a bit nicer. I think they look nicer and the ear cups are covered in soft touch plastic, so they feel nicer. Furthermore, it seems that Ultrasone has been reading our thread, as they employed way softer pads (less scratchy), which, in my opinion, are far more comfortable. They sit lighter on your head and clamp a bit harder. All together, I find them to be quite a lot more comfortable. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #2,025 of 5,992

Hmm well I don't think headphones will ever compete with subwoofers.
tongue.gif

Back to the W3 though, I don't know how you find it with the Pico Slim, but I find the bass on my W3 tightens up so much when amped with the Arrow it's almost disappointing! Straight out of an ipod its satisfying but when properly amped it seems to become too refined.

With the Pro900 you can always mod it by uncovering all 4 bass holes at the rear of the driver.

Quote:
yea i am a big time basshead. In my car I have a 13.5" JL Audio W7 powered by a JL audio 1000/1v2 monoblock amp. I have like 2 sound signatures modes in my car SQ mode and sub bass SPL level taken to the max mode. When I take this sub to the max the bass is sickening. It shakes your bodys internal organs so much that it can trigger the cough reflex in your throat. I had to get my rear and front windshield with a heavy duty seal because the sub literally made my rear windshield start leaking water because it broke the seal. It's pretty bad when you spend more upgrading your car audio system then the price of the whole car itself. I'm just addicted to audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back