Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,981 of 5,992
I don't think I would say that they need an amp, but with some songs I can almost hear my Essence running out of power and start to distort. Maybe the 2900 needs more power?

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,982 of 5,992

Quote:
Scroll up three posts.  They were already reaching the "sounds fairly nice" level without an amp, but it's completely different now.  As for my MP3 player though, it definitely needed an amp to use these.

i actually see the least improvement with amps, maybe i just need a 1000 dollar amp.  as far as better sound it goes for me     headphones > dac > amp > cables      source im unsure about

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,983 of 5,992
The largest difference with the amp is that there's a whole lot more control over the driver.  Other frequencies now stand out much more because they aren't being washed over by the spasms of a driver that doesn't have enough power to dampen correctly.  This is especially noticeable in music that is very dynamic or fast.  Not so much so in techno or "bass" (not guitar) stuff.

Trust me when I say the 900s benefit greatly from being amped.  I've done an almost 180 on my first day impressions of them.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,984 of 5,992
what amp? e9?

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,986 of 5,992
Just the E9 (dunno why I said F9) since it was $88, and wouldn't have been a huge loss if it ended up being "meh".  I was going to get an M-Stage or Little Dot, but that wouldn't be until next year and I needed something now.

Those that said these headphones are very revealing were not kidding.  I'm hearing so many subtle nuances in  lot of music that I've been listening to for many years that I've never noticed. 

On the other hand, they are now making lesser quality audio sound even worse than they already did before amping.
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,988 of 5,992
well i used my corda arietta, and tryed them through my portable xm6, and i find it to be small changing for me anyhow.  Personally, i would buy my silver cable before an amp for them.

...im gonna a/b it right now just to re-test what i am thinking...

yea it opens the soundstage more on the arietta.  I think it is more attuned to what you are listening to on the pro 900s

i listen to a lot of dubstep and drum n bass, and soundstage isn't as important like other music is.

if your aren't listening to bass heavy music, get an amp.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,990 of 5,992

Quote:
It's ironic that you say this.  I know what you mean, but the music I'm currently enjoying has a lot of drumming and bass guitar.  And oh my god does it sound better than I've ever heard before.

hmph....guess we listen differently.  

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,991 of 5,992
what other headphones and amps have you heard or listened to. What are your sources

btw, that pic is odd lol, i don't know what to make of it. i don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the cat lol

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,992 of 5,992
I'm still having trouble picking an amp, I've narrowed it down to the Mstage, Valhalla, a Little Dot, or a Darkvoice. My main concern is making the headphone too revealing, or getting an amp that can't keep up with faster music. My Essence starts to distort in some of my black metal, and my Fuze and AKG K81 distort with SunnO))) and their long bass notes. I'm getting mixed opinions on tubes and Ultrasones. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,993 of 5,992
from what i read on this site , tubes usually go well with high ohm headphones, and solid state generally fare well with low ohm headphones

and tubes have a warm sound i think i heard?

personally i don't want my metal "warm".

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,994 of 5,992
Same, but I do want the edge taken off the highs, I don't think all tube amps are warm. I might just get the Mstage, its on amazon, so if I don't like it I won't have any problems returning it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,995 of 5,992
i get my lyr tomorrow, its a hybrid.  maybe you should think about a hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back