Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #2,026 of 5,992
Sounds great with the slim I can honestly say I did not have 1 complaint with the imod > pico slim > w3, I actually was going to get the headstage amp but the pico slim caught my eye more.

I'm really liking what the p-51 mustang seems to offer with its really good midstage presentation as that is what needs help the most on the pro 900's and this amp will be able to drive  both the w3 and pro 900's.

I would of kept that current set up but i only had 100GB of space and i buddy made a good offer on it so i sold the imod figuring that i can get a 240GB 5.5g with nice screen and I can eventually imod that too.

Right now I'm using a Zune 120 HP out to westone 3 LE. It gets me by but there a lot left to be wanted.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2,027 of 5,992
Just got my silver pads, they are softer but not by much. I can't imagine they will sound any different, but they do look sweet!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #2,028 of 5,992
After 40 hours burn in and a little over an hour's listening time, the bass has subsided from the rest of the spectrum and the sibilance has subsided marginally, but I have come to the conclusion that for my musical tastes other headphones will suit me better.  They sounded great good when I tried some electronic music and hip hop, but I almost never listen to those genres.  Just put them up on the for sale forum.

Edit - just realized that if I want these to sell I'm going to have to hype them up, so here goes... the S-Logic is like having 3d glasses, but for your ears!  And the bass control and extension... its authoritative without being bloated, commanding yet organic.  Its both a coup de grace and a coup d'etat, and along with the packers winning the superbowl and sliced bread, it is on my awesome list of most awesome things ever!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2,029 of 5,992

Quote:
After 40 hours burn in and a little over an hour's listening time, the bass has subsided from the rest of the spectrum and the sibilance has subsided marginally, but I have come to the conclusion that for my musical tastes other headphones will suit me better.  They sounded great good when I tried some electronic music and hip hop, but I almost never listen to those genres.  Just put them up on the for sale forum.

Edit - just realized that if I want these to sell I'm going to have to hype them up, so here goes... the S-Logic is like having 3d glasses, but for your ears!  And the bass control and extension... its authoritative without being bloated, commanding yet organic.  Its both a coup de grace and a coup d'etat, and along with the packers winning the superbowl and sliced bread, it is on my awesome list of most awesome things ever!

Lol at that edit :)

But seriously, it's a shame you're not enjoying the signature of the Pro 900s, which are indeed better suited for electronica, despite me using them for a wide amount of genres. Through EQing I can make up for undesired frequency emphasis for certain genres, so I don't feel them to be as genre constricted as people who don't use EQs.

And about selling them, I don't think you should be concerned because the Pro 900s are, without a doubt, a bass landmark, be it for quantity and quality. As polarizing as Ultrasones are, they're certainly loved enough for you not to have to worry about being able to sell them.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,030 of 5,992
I'm deciding whether to pay the premium for new at the moment since I don't really have the resources available (Paypal) to trade for them non-locally. Currently in Hong Kong and musing over all my options. Will be heading over to look at more headphones in a couple days. I've already spent a bit of time around the city in many, many places looking for different headphones, but I was never really sure what I wanted.

I currently have the HD650s with a Silver Dragon cable if I'm not mistaken. They sound amazing, but my music is really shifting towards the more synthesized stuff, rather than the rock and classical music I always listened to several months back. It's strange how our preferences change.

New in Hong Kong would be about 520 CAD, but with some haggling I could maybe get 460 CAD, but it's probably more like 480 CAD. I'll just sell my HD 650s for 300 CAD to recoup some of my money and I'll take the hit if it turns out I like the HD 650s more, which I really doubt after the comments in the thread.

I guess I'll also have to look towards upgrading my amplifier. I don't think I can justify spending even more money despite the nice bonus 6000 HKD the government is giving out. I'll just grab the E7 and E9 everyone is raving about, unless someone can point me for a better offering at the 160 CAD level.

Again, too much to buy. Audiophilia is a pita.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2,031 of 5,992

Quote:
Ok, although I'm a strong believer of Ultrasone burn-in, I'll give you some impressions. In fact, I'm the one who spread the rumor of them needing 400hours. I.
I'm currently in Morocco and so i haven't listened to the pro2900 in a while. the pro2900 only had 30 hrs of burn in but from memory theythey sound very similar. In that if you know the pro 900s well, the pro 2900s will sound much the same to you, yet at the same time, very different. 
The bass has the same texture and feel, the highs have the same spa.rkle and the mids have the same upfront presentation. However, the bass sounds a lot more open and a little less boomy and omnipotent. The mids are neutral, as opposed to recessed, and far smoother. The highs have the same sparkle, yet aren't quite as piercing. The soundstage and transparency are where the true differences lie. The pro 900s had a rather large 3D soundstage and the pro 2900 feels very similar in dimension. However, it feels very airy and the transperancy is second to none! I'm really not exaggerating. I've listened a bunch of top tier dynamics, such as the Denon D7000 and the Beyerdynamic T1, and as far as my memory serves me, these seem to exceed all of them. In fact, these are the only dynamics that come close to the transparency of the Stax sr504 I tried. The transparency is so absurdly good, that I find them to be more detailed than the pro900. I listened to a soung my Sting, where the vocals are somewhat in the background and yet I could discern every word with ease!
So far I'm very pleased. I'm not saying that these are better headphones, it's just that for my taste, they might very well be.

Lastly, the build is a bit nicer. I think they look nicer and the ear cups are covered in soft touch plastic, so they feel nicer. Furthermore, it seems that Ultrasone has been reading our thread, as they employed way softer pads (less scratchy), which, in my opinion, are far more comfortable. They sit lighter on your head and clamp a bit harder. All together, I find them to be quite a lot more comfortable. 

Thanks Leander7777!! Sounds like the 2900 fixes some of my issues with the 900, which mostly were just open vs. closed differences anyway. Do they come with silver and black pads, and if so, are there differences between them? Also, is the timbre/tonality any better with the 2900? That was my biggest gripe with the 900s. Do you plan on trying a Blue/Black Dragon cable with them?

-Daniel

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,032 of 5,992
ok guys.....  HOW do you listen to these without EQ??? Honestly, the sibilance is brutal. Either my ears/brain are too sensitive, or my amp is useless (got a Compass on the way).

Here's my setup so far-

Gotta say though, the bass IMPACT (especially with the cheeky Sonic Maximizer haha) is incredible. Instrument separation is impressive too.

Really hope the amp smooths these out somewhat though..

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2,033 of 5,992
i use the pre-set dance eq in itunes.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2,034 of 5,992

Quote:
i use the pre-set dance eq in itunes.

What??? That would EXAGGERATE the pro900 signature!!! Madman!
basshead.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2,035 of 5,992
Haha! Nothing wrong with that. I never understood people that bought colored headphones only to EQ the character out of them. If there are certain things he likes about a headphone, there's nothing wrong with emphasizing it. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #2,036 of 5,992

Quote:
What??? That would EXAGGERATE the pro900 signature!!! Madman!
basshead.gif

i could, i have just started liking it too much, instead of sibilant , it sounds detailed.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #2,037 of 5,992
hey I guys I need some help with my Pro 900s. Got these in the mail about a week ago, and have burned them in for about 80 hours, but the left driver is lacking bass, while the right driver is lacking clearity. Could I have a faulty pair? should I burn them in some more? or could the problem be an adapter? Btw I have a Factory Balanced pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back