Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2,056 of 5,992
the cable is detachable,  it screws out and then just pull.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2,057 of 5,992
The Ultrasone Pro 900 just uses a 1/8" male to 1/8" male to plug in? A regular mini to mini? The cable isn't permanently attached? So you can pretty much use the thousands of mini to mini cables around?

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2,058 of 5,992
Yes, just about all the PRO series and the HFI-2200/2400 use screw on detachable cables. The jack on the headphones are recessed so only threaded plugs or plugs small enough will fit inside, so no, not any old interconnect/patch/mini-tomini cable will work. I personally use a nuforce transient mini-to-mini cable for my 2200 since it's the perfect length for me (1.5m) and relatively cheap.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #2,061 of 5,992
its not flexible cloth

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,062 of 5,992
I really like the nice soft flexible cotton type feel on the outside of the cable with a wide variety of colors. Can anyone do this using decent quality wires for the ultrasone in about a 6 foot length?

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,063 of 5,992

Quote:
I've never heard the DJ1 before. However, I would not describe the bass from the pro 900 as a sub bass, far from it. 
It does not have a decay like subs has, its tight, punchy and strong. 
Might be that the amp is a miss match? I prefer solid state on mine. 

Edit: Go try some fast(er) bass n drum tracks. 

Yeah, that's the problem!

My Pro 900's bass os definately not punchy at all.

Would you say that's maybe the amp's fault?

Thanks!

Quote:
It could just be that the EF2 has better synergy with the DJ1s, they are 32ohms compared to 40ohms, maybe it is having trouble driving the PROs.

Well, it's said that the EF2 can drive even higher impendance can...
Maybe a tube amp is the problem?

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Well the difference in clarity is huge between the hfi-580 and pro 900. I could even easily tell the hfi-780 shows more details when compared to my friend's 580. Your ears must be doing something terribly wrong or you plug them into the wrong source?!

They're definately plugged in correctly (and I sure hope my ears are fine lol)!
Actually, my Grado Sr225i and my DJ1 sound awesome.... the problem is only with the Pro 900.

Thanks for the input!

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,065 of 5,992

Quote:
I think the tube amp is your problem, try a solid state amp

Thanks!

I thought this might be the problem, so a couple days back I ordered a Fiio E7/E9 combo...

Will i probably hear a great difference in sound?

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2,066 of 5,992
I really can't answer that. I'm a pro when it comes to mobile audio as in automobile.

The only portable stuff I've used to this date is a red wine audio imod 4Th gen 100GB photo filled with lossless ALAC / ALO Audio mini to mini to carry Wolfson DAC signal out HP out port / Pico Slim / Westone 3 Limited Edition

Also Cobalt Blue Zune 120 directly to Westone 3 LE's.

That is all the experience I have. I suggested solid state because they are faster amps and can control the driver more precisely.

My new rig is going to be a Red Wine Audio 240GB Imod video 5.5g with increased capacity battery and brighter higher quality than standard apple LCD / ALO IMod 18g OCC Line out dock / RSA P-51 Mustang Amp / Westone 3 LE + Ultrasone pro 900's with undetermined re-cabling

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2,067 of 5,992

Thanks.

I'm thinking that if the HD650's are similar to Pro 900's other than the bass, I will probably sell the 650's but I think I will miss them as soon as I sell them. I guess we will have to wait and see or hear.

I listen to a lot of different types of music but I mostly listen to Hip Hop, R n B, and Jazz so I think they will suit my needs nicely.
Quote:
In my opinion the main difference between 650 and 900s are aggressiveness. The 900s punches you in the face with it's bass while the 650 is the comforting type, getting you back up again after getting punched. 

You can't really compare them directly. I like getting punched so the 900 are my favourite.

Most of my friends also prefer the 900, well, they think lots of loud bass = quality and that the 650 is crap. Oh well :p (And yes, two of them own beats).

The 900 are beyond superb when it comes to dubstep.
Listen to Mteden and you will understand.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,068 of 5,992

I'm amping my HD650's with a Woo Audio 6 SE (almost maxxed) and they sounds great. I haven't been able to find any people on here that use 900's with Woo Amps but I have heard they're much easier to drive. I hope to use them at work out of my Macbook and when traveling. I wonder if using it with my amp will make a big difference.
Quote:
I agree with the agressive comments.  Open/closed is a bigger factor though.  The ultrasone has a very closed feel to it, whereas the sennheiser is more airy.  I would add that the HD650 are much more of a home headphone, and benefit immensely from a proper home setup, whereas the 900 fare better unamped or with something like an E11 or P51 than the 650.  The 650 I listened to in Ray's setup was miles above the 900 in clarity and soundstage, and had a much more balanced sound.  There was most certainly no veil in that setup.
(I think I mentioned to you in a PM, you can buy these from buyauthorized.  They used to sell for 320 (which is a price that many here got them for,) but recently they have refused to go lower than 350, stating substantially higher costs.)

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,070 of 5,992
I honestly couldn't notice any difference when I replaced the stock cable with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon. Also, without hard wiring the new cable to the cups there is still the probably low quality cable connecting the left cup to the right cup.

@Artie17 - I wouldn't sell the HD650 until you've heard the Pro900. The Pro900 and Ultrasone in general are a bit like marmite (google it if you aren't familiar) in that some love it and some hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back