Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #1,426 of 5,992
just got my blue dragon from the kind UPS man and here are my initial impressions (been listening and A/Bing for an hour now):

- it took me a few times switching between the stock cable and blue dragon before i really got it. i was listening for something much more drastic than what i found. however...
- ...what i found is this: the cable really honestly does "remove the veil" from the pro 900's. when i switch back to the stock cable now i cringe because the sound is overall thinner, with much more sibilance and airiness in the treble, with less detail in the midrange. 

the lightbulb finally turned on when i realized this: i no longer have to EQ my 900's. this is huge for me really, because i was adding a bit of bass and pumping the mids while taming the sibilance. basically i had to alter every area of the sound to make it fit my liking. in other words, before the BD cable, the headphone had flaws. now... the cable adds just enough bass, especially in the sub bass range, to make it no longer necessary to EQ there; it also tightens it a bit making it less bloaty and prevents it from overtaking the mids; it's got a smoother, more forward sound especially in the treble which really helps the sibilance and gives a more natural, detailed quality to the upper frequencies, and because of this and the changes in the low end you are able to hear the mids that were there all along. i'm really impressed. switching between my 990's and the pro 900's was always a bittersweet moment because i was trading the (in my opinion) more accurate and (relatively speaking) natural sound of the 990's for the colored, fun sound of the 900's. now, the 900's definitely have waaaay more to say in the bass category, and i no longer notice a huge gap in the mid and treble areas. it no longer sounds like some one is holding a sheet of plastic over my highs and mids.

the bottom line... is it worth $165? in a linear sense, no. it does not add $165 of sound quality to the headphone. if, however, you find yourself with some pro 900's, and are loving them, but wanting "that little bit more" and are willing to pay whatever it takes to perfect an already great pair of phones... go for it. if you use your pro 900's for EDM or hip hop or any kind of bass-centric music but still want great SQ in the rest of the spectrum.... buy the cable... plug it in... and 
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

May 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #1,427 of 5,992
^ Big thanks for your impressions!

I would say upgrading a cable is only worth it if you've reached an "end" in your headphone hunting. That is, when you have 'phones that you are really truly happy with and know you won't let go. At that point you might as well pimp it out to get the potential out of it possible.

When a cable upgrade is $100+ I would really much rather use that money towards a better headphone. 

May 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,428 of 5,992

Quote:
^ Big thanks for your impressions!

I would say upgrading a cable is only worth it if you've reached an "end" in your headphone hunting. That is, when you have 'phones that you are really truly happy with and know you won't let go. At that point you might as well pimp it out to get the potential out of it possible.

When a cable upgrade is $100+ I would really much rather use that money towards a better headphone. 

well i don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, most of us are trying to refine the sound we get, and we're always in search of the next big thing. The blue dragon cable really transforms it into a different kind of headphone and in reality, makes it like buying a new upgrade model of the pro 900s. We all have different ways of justifying our purchases and my way of justifying this kind of purchase is that it makes it into something different

May 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,429 of 5,992
:) agreed. i think if you pick up the pro 900 and put it on after 3-400 hours of burn in and say "yuck" then the cable won't do anything for you. if you say, "wow...MOAR and BETTER!" then the cable is exactly what you need. i don't necessarily intend the pro900's to be my last pair of headphones ever, but i know i stand a good chance of recouping most of what i've spent on headphones + cable when the upgraditis sets in. it really does feel like the "pro 900 mark 2" or something like that... of course, my mind is already saying "so what would happen if you had drew recable and mod them for dual entry...." AHHHH my wallet is glaring at me 
ph34r.gif

Quote:
well i don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, most of us are trying to refine the sound we get, and we're always in search of the next big thing. The blue dragon cable really transforms it into a different kind of headphone and in reality, makes it like buying a new upgrade model of the pro 900s. We all have different ways of justifying our purchases and my way of justifying this kind of purchase is that it makes it into something different

May 24, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,430 of 5,992

Quote:
:) agreed. i think if you pick up the pro 900 and put it on after 3-400 hours of burn in and say "yuck" then the cable won't do anything for you. if you say, "wow...MOAR and BETTER!" then the cable is exactly what you need. i don't necessarily intend the pro900's to be my last pair of headphones ever, but i know i stand a good chance of recouping most of what i've spent on headphones + cable when the upgraditis sets in. it really does feel like the "pro 900 mark 2" or something like that... of course, my mind is already saying "so what would happen if you had drew recable and mod them for dual entry...." AHHHH my wallet is glaring at me 
ph34r.gif

haha, that would be the next upgrade........i'm very curious on how it would sound if you did that. I'm sure there would be a difference, but to what extent would it make a difference......be sure to post up your impressions if you do that!

May 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,431 of 5,992
that "to what extent" question is only one part of what's stopping me... i love the detachable because i take the pro 900's around with me a lot and use them with the mixamp + xbox for competitive halo and it's nice to be able to just screw in the 1/8th" cable and not think about it. the blue dragon makes me nervous because i don't want to do anything stupid and accidentally hurt it! for now i'll just enjoy the detachable BD. it may just be in my head (in all likelihood is) but with the BD cable the sound seems slightly louder out of the left ear? i dunno... i'll wait until the cable has at least 40 hours on it before i make any final decisions. i've been unable to find any threads or comments talking about the hard-wired BD compared to the detachable, probably because there are very few people with the chance to A/B that pairing. my hope would be that it would be akin to the difference i hear in switching the BD for the stock cable, but who knows. i think my next project is going to be testing to see if the kees mod is for me, and if so, how much of it i want to do. i know the full mod is supposed to lessen the bass somewhat which is not what i am after, but i am considering simply putting a felt pad on the back of each metal plate. oh how i love this hobby... 

Quote:

haha, that would be the next upgrade........i'm very curious on how it would sound if you did that. I'm sure there would be a difference, but to what extent would it make a difference......be sure to post up your impressions if you do that!

May 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,432 of 5,992

Quote:
that "to what extent" question is only one part of what's stopping me... i love the detachable because i take the pro 900's around with me a lot and use them with the mixamp + xbox for competitive halo and it's nice to be able to just screw in the 1/8th" cable and not think about it. the blue dragon makes me nervous because i don't want to do anything stupid and accidentally hurt it! for now i'll just enjoy the detachable BD. it may just be in my head (in all likelihood is) but with the BD cable the sound seems slightly louder out of the left ear? i dunno... i'll wait until the cable has at least 40 hours on it before i make any final decisions. i've been unable to find any threads or comments talking about the hard-wired BD compared to the detachable, probably because there are very few people with the chance to A/B that pairing. my hope would be that it would be akin to the difference i hear in switching the BD for the stock cable, but who knows. i think my next project is going to be testing to see if the kees mod is for me, and if so, how much of it i want to do. i know the full mod is supposed to lessen the bass somewhat which is not what i am after, but i am considering simply putting a felt pad on the back of each metal plate. oh how i love this hobby... 

Remember that the Pro 900s are very picky as to their placement on the head, making the sound balance shift very easily. It's all about finding the sweet spot.

May 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,433 of 5,992
ah true. i have noticed this has a huge impact on bass and soundstage, but didn't think to check that when i noticed the volume difference. i'll be sure to pay closer attention when i feel like i'm hearing it again. 

Quote:
Remember that the Pro 900s are very picky as to their placement on the head, making the sound balance shift very easily. It's all about finding the sweet spot.

May 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,434 of 5,992

Quote:
my current rig is:

asus xonar st --> cambridge dac magic --> ultrasone pro 900

it does an adequate job of powering the pro 900s but i'm looking to add a tube amp to the mix, maybe little dot IV SE. 

I've tested the USB to dac magic vs Asus Xonar ST to dac magic, and i could hear a difference. It was subtle, and on some songs it was more apparent. Maybe not 200 dollars more apparent, but apparent nevertheless. The reason i got the asus xonar st was because i wanted the best sound i could get. My motherboard doesn't have a TOSLINK, Digital out, or anything of that nature. So i was left with getting a dedicated soundcard. I'm looking to upgrade my computer rig eventually, maybe in the next year, and i was planning to keep the xonar st at home if the sound quality would be the same as the sound coming off the motherboard from the TOSLINK. Like i said, this is for future purposes, but i don't think anyone has fully tackled whether using toslink from a motherboard is the same as the one from a dedicated soundcard. A lot of people have argued about which one sounds better, but it's usually split 50/50 when you look at everyone putting in their input. Just wondering if anyone here has tried out that theory or not.

Quote:
What was the connection between Xonar and DacMagic? If it was a digital connection and you heard the difference, Xonar must be doing something to alter the sound before it sends the signal out to DacMagic. Like I said I am basing this on science and digital source is digital, USB and digital out (TOSLINK) should be identical bit for bit if fed the same source and no processing was occurring beforehand. If I am using an external DAC like you, I wouldn't bother with Xonar as it's just one more variable that can introduce unwanted problems. And, when you say best sound, if you mean true to the original recording on file, USB -> DAC would give you a better chance at that than USB -> Xonar -> DAC.

It sounds to me like an amping difference. The amp on the Xonar is better than whats coming out of the USB.

May 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,435 of 5,992

Quote:
It sounds to me like an amping difference. The amp on the Xonar is better than whats coming out of the USB.

What comes out of USB is digital signal. It's not and can't be amped (for listening). Only after the digital signal has been processed by DAC can it be amped.

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,436 of 5,992
So I've spent some more time with the silver velvet pads for the Pro 900s and it definitely mellows out the bass.  The comfort is improved as well.  The sound is much like the DT880/600ohms that I own, which is good, but with more bass and JUST a little less comfortable.   It is more comfortable than the stock pads, though.   I'm thinking that the Blue Dragon + silver pads = amazing combo.

PS.  I like the fact that if I want more bass, I can just switch out the silver pads for the black pads and viola, more bass! 

May 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,437 of 5,992

Quote:
What comes out of USB is digital signal. It's not and can't be amped (for listening). Only after the digital signal has been processed by DAC can it be amped.

That's what I mean, though I didn't word it very well. It sounds better to him out of the Xonar->DAC magic than USB->DAC magic, because the amplification it gets from the Xonar, not because of the connection between the computer/xonar and the DAC as seemed to be implied in those posts, though maybe I miss understood the discussion.

May 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,438 of 5,992
do the silver pads effect the other frequencies at all? i do like the idea of being able to "mellow out" the 900's if i want, as i still find myself going for the 990's to listen to rock, or when i want to really forget that i'm wearing headphones. so the idea of a slightly more balanced sound + comfort seems like a win to me... just wondering what the pads do for the highs and mids. 

Quote:
So I've spent some more time with the silver velvet pads for the Pro 900s and it definitely mellows out the bass.  The comfort is improved as well.  The sound is much like the DT880/600ohms that I own, which is good, but with more bass and JUST a little less comfortable.   It is more comfortable than the stock pads, though.   I'm thinking that the Blue Dragon + silver pads = amazing combo.

PS.  I like the fact that if I want more bass, I can just switch out the silver pads for the black pads and viola, more bass! 

May 25, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #1,439 of 5,992
Well, it's noticeable but it is hard to tell.  I think its a result of the bass being toned down a little bit that the mids / highs become more noticeable.  The sound stage does seem to improve a bit but the main thing I noticed was that because of the mellowed bass (it is definitely still there, but tighter) it seemed that all of the other frequencies were more apparent.  I like it a lot.   The pads look great on the 900s as well though that is purely aesthetics.  It has a lot to do with the already present silver on the head phones that make it match with the silver pads.  Let's just say I'm a bass head and since I've put the silver pads on, other than switching for comparison sake, I have not put the black pads back on nor have I wanted to...

I really anticipate the Blue Dragon cable is going to make this an awesome combo.

I'll update once I get the blue dragon...on that note, those that ordered from Drew@Moon Audio, how long did it usually take from order to delivery?

Quote:
do the silver pads effect the other frequencies at all? i do like the idea of being able to "mellow out" the 900's if i want, as i still find myself going for the 990's to listen to rock, or when i want to really forget that i'm wearing headphones. so the idea of a slightly more balanced sound + comfort seems like a win to me... just wondering what the pads do for the highs and mids. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back