Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,396 of 5,992
Anybody else have some suggestions about cheap amps for the Pro 900? And i am really not looking to spend to much on it :wink: would the E7 alone be good enough gor them? Cause E9 makes this configuration not portable at all at my opinion :) and what about that digizoid ZO? Is that good as an amp? And lets say something like the lowest range xonar soundcard would be a lot better than my intergrated soundcard?

May 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,397 of 5,992
I agree about the amping; the pro 900 are very picky. I said this earlier, but a friend of mine owns an hifi store and he let me listen to various headphones with his McIntosh MCD1100. I remember pairing it with my pro 900s and thinking that it sounded quite ackward. I had my Headstage Arrow G3 with me and so we did some back and forth listening. Despite some obvious advantages, such as imaging and soundstage, both of us much preferred the arrow + pro 900s pairing. That's quite crazy, if you consider that the McIntosh costs 10,000 dollars!

May 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #1,398 of 5,992

Quote:
Anybody else have some suggestions about cheap amps for the Pro 900? And i am really not looking to spend to much on it :wink: would the E7 alone be good enough gor them? Cause E9 makes this configuration not portable at all at my opinion :) and what about that digizoid ZO? Is that good as an amp? And lets say something like the lowest range xonar soundcard would be a lot better than my intergrated soundcard?

I have to echo the other comments that Its not really ideal to amp the 900s with a portable but you could try and get a Fiio e11 when they are in stock (ETA approx 2 weeks in various places). The E11 is reported to be powerful for its size and would hold you over until you can afford something bigger.

The E7 is not powerful enough for the 900s especially in a portable config, as a DAC/AMP combo its much better as it works best with a strong signal however they would be a good onboard soundcard replacement.

I had a Xonar DX and it was a great little sound card, and it was much better than onboard. The xonar DX is is comparable to the E7 but the E7 is a better choice if you are going to go for a e9 later on.

My advice buy a good value IEM or portapros and the like for portable use and then put your cash into a full size desktop amp like the E9 or Matrix m-stage which I have and can recommend as a great entry level amp.

happy shopping.

PS if you really don't have the budget for these extra toys I'd seriously consider downgrading to the  HFI-580 as I read it has great bass impact and can be driven easily. I have the 780 which boasts the same albeit much brighter.

May 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,400 of 5,992
I was looking into the Arrow but what is the cheapest possible price i could get it for? Cause o read that quite a few peopke enjoy it :wink:

Quote:
Essence STX or Headstage Arrow works for me with the Pro900. Seems quite a few people like the Arrow + Pro900 combo.

May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,401 of 5,992

It is rare for one to be sold second hand as they are so good, but it is totally worth saving up for and buying new. I worked my way up from a FiiO E5 to iBasso T3 and then finally the Arrow. TBH, I wish I had just got the Arrow to start with!

Quote:
I was looking into the Arrow but what is the cheapest possible price i could get it for? Cause o read that quite a few peopke enjoy it :wink:

May 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,403 of 5,992

Quote:

I have to echo the other comments that Its not really ideal to amp the 900s with a portable but you could try and get a Fiio e11 when they are in stock (ETA approx 2 weeks in various places). The E11 is reported to be powerful for its size and would hold you over until you can afford something bigger.

The E7 is not powerful enough for the 900s especially in a portable config, as a DAC/AMP combo its much better as it works best with a strong signal however they would be a good onboard soundcard replacement.

I had a Xonar DX and it was a great little sound card, and it was much better than onboard. The xonar DX is is comparable to the E7 but the E7 is a better choice if you are going to go for a e9 later on.

My advice buy a good value IEM or portapros and the like for portable use and then put your cash into a full size desktop amp like the E9 or Matrix m-stage which I have and can recommend as a great entry level amp.

happy shopping.

PS if you really don't have the budget for these extra toys I'd seriously consider downgrading to the  HFI-580 as I read it has great bass impact and can be driven easily. I have the 780 which boasts the same albeit much brighter.

have you ever heard a pro 900 with an e7? It drives them quite well for a portable setup.

May 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,404 of 5,992

Quote:

have you ever heard a pro 900 with an e7? It drives them quite well for a portable setup.

but the truth of his statement was that there's such a gap between such amps as the arrow amp which can drive the Pro 900s with a lot more ease. Just my thoughts on that, but i say if you can extend your budget, get the arrow, if you can't, get the e7. It'll be good enough for you until the point where you yearn for me. That's what the arrow does a steller job of fulfilling, that need for more.

May 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,405 of 5,992
Then which's better? A e7+e9 combo or the arrow amp?

btw, I found the arrow 12he only at headphonia.eu , at $299.
is it worth the 100$ more, if it is indeed better?

May 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,406 of 5,992
They do sound amazing with the Arrow, yes, but continuing that train of thought... they take a whole jump better when driven this way (oh my gawd how they get more focused and refined with this MisterX M^3 amp):

biggrin.gif

May 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,407 of 5,992

Quote:
Then which's better? A e7+e9 combo or the arrow amp?

btw, I found the arrow 12he only at headphonia.eu , at $299.
is it worth the 100$ more, if it is indeed better?

I'm also curious, but to know if E9 alone (I don't want E7 at all) is much better than an Arrow.

May 24, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,408 of 5,992
My J$ v2 pads arrived today! Going to mount them when I get back from the gym, but for now I used some electrical tap to attach them, so that I could get a quick demo...
The difference is impressive. There are some minor cons with the sound, but for the most part I'm very positively surprised.
I'll be sure to post some pics and fallow up on my impressions soon.

P.S. Quick teaser: Soundstage! :p

May 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #1,409 of 5,992
Leander777- Can you post some pics of the process as you glue them to the rings? And how you cut the existing Ultrasone pads off the ring? Hope it goes smoothly... 

What are the cons to the sound so far?

May 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,410 of 5,992
Nice setup.  I got me some of those velour pads coming for my Pro 900s.  They should arrive today.  I hope it improves the comfort.  I am spoiled to the Beyer DT comfort so that's one of my very few gripes with the 900s.  I also have a Blue Dragon cable coming so I'm pretty excited :)

I do need to get me a tube amp later on as I'm running the e7/e9 combo.  Works well but I still want to hear the difference that it makes running different amps.

Quote:
They do sound amazing with the Arrow, yes, but continuing that train of thought... they take a whole jump better when driven this way (oh my gawd how they get more focused and refined with this MisterX M^3 amp):

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back