Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #1,456 of 5,992
Same for the most part.  I noticed a huge difference and these are new black pads vs new silver pads.  The bass is reduced, but not "lost" in a sense?   It's just calmed down, but the mids open up because of it.  The Blue Dragon adds a bit of bass back, but my experiences over the last few days is that the Blue Dragon + Black Pads = lots and lots of bass.   The Blue Dragon + Silver Pads = nice balanced head phones.

Quote:
Probably not because I only have about 50 hours of head time on the black ones, if that. They've basically been wrapped up in a blanket for the past month burning in, and infrequent listening sessions with music, movies and games.

-Daniel

May 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #1,457 of 5,992
Hey there again!

Got my PRO 900's earlier his week, and received my E11 to power them. Listening to some dnb on my cowon S9. The sound is astonishing!
These are the first hours. Will update on how the sound changes with a bit of burn in :wink:

So far very pleased! 
basshead.gif

Ordered the Wooaudio silver stand seen in the first post :wink:

P.S the E11 is brilliant! Makes my Atrios absolute bass monsters :wink:

May 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,458 of 5,992
Interested to hear more about the perceived increase in bass with the Blue Dragon.

Are you guys testing a track with a familiar bassline whilst swapping between the stock and BD cable? What bass frequencies would you say are boosted with the Blue Dragon?

May 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,459 of 5,992
I miss these headphones very much right now.  I'm studying abroad in Paris for this summer and have been without them (or any high end piece of audio) for three weeks.  

frown.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,460 of 5,992

Quote:
I miss these headphones very much right now.  I'm studying abroad in Paris for this summer and have been without them (or any high end piece of audio) for three weeks.  

frown.gif

Didn't have enough room to take them with you? I probably would have withdrawal symptoms from my headphones :p

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,462 of 5,992

Quote:
Has anyone tried pairing the PRO 900 with a Yulong U100?

ive been seriously thinking about either the u100 or the d100. ive been doing a lot of reading and the e7, for all its greatness, has, to say the least, many deficiencies... my thought is to pair the D100 with the E9, which would allow me to use optical out of the mac pro and still take advantage of the E9 which does a great job with the pro 900s. unfortunately my other train of thought is to sell ALL my headphone stuff, start all over, and get D7000's + Yulong D100 + some amp... i am still doing research. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #1,463 of 5,992
If I were to get a tube amp for the Pro 900s with the Blue Dragon Cable, what tube amp would you recommend?  My budget would be about 500-600 but please list anything under that price range as well.

I am running an E9 which I alternate between a E7 and a Titanium HD sound card.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,467 of 5,992
Not that it's intended for this purpose, but Drew does have a 14 day money back policy for the cables.  I initially considered returning mine but just can't make myself part with the cable.  It does smooth out the sound and tighten it up in a good way.  It makes the music sound clean and haunting.  I was listening to Deadmau5 last night and it was as if I were in another world.  It's hard to say to be honest but I definitely like the cable enough to keep it even at the price point.

I know if I returned it and put the stock cable on, I would notice the difference, and want the Blue Dragon again.  I am keeping it and once I get over the wound to my pocketbook, I will be 100% happy that I did.  Heck, I already am.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,468 of 5,992
You want to know if it's worth the cost? Next week I'm buying the 5 ft. 1/8 version so I can use it as part of my portable setup. That's how worth it it is.

Going back to the stock cable certainly sounds like a $300 downgrade to me.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,469 of 5,992

Quote:
You want to know if it's worth the cost? Next week I'm buying the 5 ft. 1/8 version so I can use it as part of my portable setup. That's how worth it it is.

Going back to the stock cable certainly sounds like a $300 downgrade to me.

But you only listen to electronica right? If people listen to rock or other genres that aren't bass-heavy, judging from your impressions, it could be a downgrade. Having to switch cables every time you want to switch genres would suck >_<

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,470 of 5,992
i switch headphones when i switch genres 
L3000.gif
 but seriously though, IMO the blue dragon makes the pro 900 even LESS of an all-arounder than it started out being. godlier for techno/EDM, not so much for most other genres. honestly i'm not sure why you'd have the pro 900s at all unless EDM/hip hop/bass heavy music/entertainment was at least 60% of what you listened to, but of course everyone's different. 

Quote:
But you only listen to electronica right? If people listen to rock or other genres that aren't bass-heavy, judging from your impressions, it could be a downgrade. Having to switch cables every time you want to switch genres would suck >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back